• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mud flaps on the M939 Tractor

Rifleman

I think i remember reading the AZ DOT regs that if you are running bob tail you need the mud flaps and if you are towing a trailer you don't them.

AZ Mitch

Thanks, Castle Bravo that’s what I needed. I’m looking at auctions in Henderson and Fontana, and these tractors are not showing mud flaps.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think you could rig something up to get home and then make a permanent solution when you get home.

SLOrazorsedge

The OEM M931 series mud flap kits are up on flea bay but he's proud of them at $380 + $45 shipping. If you can find a guy with two of the frame extensions you can then pick up a new heavy duty mud flap kit from Ryder Truck. com for about $60 shipped. Get the 3/4" bar hangers.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't need mud flaps, on the tractor, if your pulling a trailer. In fact on some trailers, if you leave the flaps on, they will hang up on the trailer frame or landing gear, when making sharp corners, or on uneven ground. Therefore, you want to have a storage place on the tractor (never leave them home). They are not too expensive, at the heave truck store. They too, have offset ones that work pretty good, unless the frame is really short, and they tend to sail, when your moving, so they don't rub the tires as much as you think. Some of the real old military trailers, are really short coupled, so the flaps have to come off, to pull them.

SLOrazorsedge

Rosco is spot on. The M931A2 tractors that were equipped with flaps have retention straps where the mud flaps are stored up against the right side deck tool box. Thats where I keep mine when its hooked up to my M146 trailer. During sharp turns or jackknife backing the flap hangers well tangle with the landing gear on the short trailers.

Howdy Rosco, I was stationed at Ft. Wainwright 1970-72 with the Arctic Rangers as a heavy truck driver. I skydived into Delta Junction and North Pole a number of times. I was one of the first military skydivers who jumped into the Arctic Circle at 20 below zero at ground level. I often think of the beautiful country up there and would love to come back for a visit one of these days. It was tough living then, I expect it still is during the winter months.

Csm Davis

I have seen them stored on the back of the tool box and on the deck plate but I think the best place I have seen them stored is in between the fuel tank and the fender using a extra set of mounts on the frame.

goldneagle

The OEM M931 series mud flap kits are up on flea bay but he's proud of them at $380 + $45 shipping. If you can find a guy with two of the frame extensions you can then pick up a new heavy duty mud flap kit from Ryder Truck. com for about $60 shipped. Get the 3/4" bar hangers.
Those are the ones I bought. Really heavy duty!

Attachments

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
[h=3]For your CA information:

V C Section 27600 Fenders and Mudguards
[/h]
[h=4] Fenders and Mudguards [/h] 27600. No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds.

Amended Ch. 215, Stats. 1970. Effective November 23, 1970.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27600.htm

Csm Davis

Also the flaps like GE posted above are a better design with the corners cut down and the spring going into the mount, they will take more impacts and avoid more hangups on trailers, now all they need are some weights on bottom.

goldneagle

Also the flaps like GE posted above are a better design with the corners cut down and the spring going into the mount, they will take more impacts and avoid more hangups on trailers, now all they need are some weights on bottom.
That rubber is fairly thick, but I am not sure how they hang when doing 60 MPH on the interstate. That reminds me of the semi we saw on a trip back from NJ. He had at least one additional semi tractor towed on his 5th wheel with the white mudflaps being dragged on the asphalt as he sped down the interstate. I wonder if he left them there on purpose so he would not get ticketed for not having mudflats on the semi, or forgot to take them off?

grunex125

On the subject of mud flaps guys, anyone know the legal height that that the mudflaps can be off the ground? I've got one that is six inches longer than the other and would like to make them the same length but need to have enough height to make sure they don't rip off when I'm running my dump. I'm in MN

quickfarms

On the subject of mud flaps guys, anyone know the legal height that that the mudflaps can be off the ground? I've got one that is six inches longer than the other and would like to make them the same length but need to have enough height to make sure they don't rip off when I'm running my dump. I'm in MN
I think it is 12" max

mattyboy

In NY2/3 of tire needs to be covered. If you are worried about riping them off In the mud, do what dump drivers do put a s hook on bottom of flaps and fold over itself. Works very well

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure the flap is not so long as to get caught and ripped off if you have to back over a curb. In FL they have an angle they measure from the bottom of the flap to the tire/road contact point. The closer the mud flap is to the tire, the longer it needs to be. Tractors are typically short from the rear axle to the end of the frame so the mud flap will be pretty close to the tire.

I bought Betts mud flap hangers for my M818. The local distributor is Weldon truck parts The frame mount K750 fits some existing frame holes on the M818 and installation is easy.

The B86 kit is the mud flap hanger; buy the K750 frame mount separately if needed. You can use the frame mounts that come with the kit, but you may have to drill holes. The B86 kit is an off set hanger that spaces the mud flap behind the mount attachment point to clear the tires with the short tractor frame. You can get mud flaps for about $8:00 each for the cheap ones.

IMG_5622a.jpgIMG_5623a.jpgIMG_5626.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Do you have a part number for it? I'm not finding it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks