• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Muffler Modification.

Jakob

If it's rerouted to the rear, even a straight pipe would be quieter inside the cab. It's just a matter of moving where the noise exits... and by the duals is alot farther away that 3' from your face, lol. I like the intake mod as well, that was the first thing I want to do to my truck. I'll probably follow your lead bigmillman and put a 45 in it and share a bracket.

Flatlander

Here's the muffler on mine...the city I bought the Deuce from had added it. They added a 6" piece of flat stock to the front mirror mounting point to move the mirror assembly out so it wouldn't contact the muffler...

Attachments

Bigmillman

beaubeau said:
Well I been around trucks and heavy Equipment for many years and I have a couple Deuces ,and a muffler on a Deuce to me is like trying to quiet down a Harly Davidson MotorCycle, And expect it to remain as popular as it is!!! Itook the mufler off my 1997 Dodge 2500 Cummins, and I gained 5 MPG. more!! It is not really that much louder!! Phil
Phil, your exhaust on your mopar runs all the way to the back of your truck so you won't hear it in the cab so much, and yes your milege does go up on that truck with that mod. However.. a duece is a whole different beast with a pipe exiting in your face with half the horsepower of your mopar. So corking the exhaust is not any real power loss, just more of a noise reducer. I have had much better relations with my nieghbors since I muffled mine.
Sorry Harley owners... I am sick of straight pipes!

1stDeuce

Shorty muffler from Walker/Dynomax

Ok, after some prompting, I'll post a few shots of an alternate muffler... Walker/Dynomax P/N 17224, 6" round x 21" overall length.

This muffler just fits between the fender and the upper exhaust braket/clamp. I cut the J-pipe so it just cleared the fender, then cut out about 8" from what was left of the stack. The muffler is tack welded to the J-pipe because I was too lazy to clamp it, and the upper bracket clamp holds the stack in the muffler, as well as holding the top of the muffler.

This raised the outlet about 10", but no hanger mods were necessary. My truck already had the cowl mirror bracket moved forward about 2" with a piece of flatstock. Can't remember if that was necessary or not, but I left it alone. Teh vent door just barely bumps it at full open. Painted it with ACE high temp BBQ paint in brown color and it looks pretty good! Noise reduction was significant!!

My truck is a D turbo, and that with the bark was defeaning even at idle. It's much more subtle now. On the plus side, it still sounds much like a multifuel should, just not so loud...

Here are some pics:

Attachments

joesco

Did the muffler mod on Brutus yesterday. Used the Napa (Walker) muffler, took about an hour, painted it with green Rustoleum Green Stove (heat resistant) paint with two coats. Cut the tip to shortened it and welded onto of the muffler and reinstalled the clamp. Purchased the muffler at Rock Auto delivered to the house for $57.00.

Big difference in around town trips and the whistler sounds much better with a tad more muscle behind it. Once I got up to highway speeds, I did not notice a big difference. Worth the morney for sure.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks