• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Muffler Modification.

sermis

Here is a look with the old style mirror arms. The top stack is just set in with no clamp so it is easy to remove if needed.
The only issue I have with the muffler is that the can gets real hot where there is no insulation inside.

JRBAMATEX

I have wanted to do this for the longest time now. Finally got some time to get some things done around here. One of which has been to install a new muffler on the Deuce. I want to thank all you guys for the idea the part number and all the pictures of your installations. What a huge help!!! Here are a few pictures of my installation.

I can’t believe how quite it is.

JR

Attachments

sermis

Look at the top half of my muffler in the above pic's. The Napa muffler really, really helps with the sound but the can is open in the top middle section and will burn the paint from the heat. I had found another style that was a little shorter and fatter at a muffler shop that I thought about putting on but almost twice the price. But it did not have the open can. If I ever get around to painting the big ugly truck I might conceder looking for another type of muffler.

JRBAMATEX

That's actually a good call. I m trying barbeque grill paint for now. That's why I went with black. I think the black turned out looking pretty good. Now if it will just stay on. If not oh well. Will just have to re roll. Story of my life.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am interested in doing sound level testing on the deuce exhaust. I am thinking of a comparison between my stock deuce, the NAPA 21470 muffler that most are using, and the Car Chemistry internal baffles that houdel suggested. It seams no one has done before and after testing. I have access to a high dollar dB meter thru work, and am willing to buy the muffler and baffles. I need a guinea pig exhaust to hack on for this. Does anyone out there have a not such good condition or very cheap exhaust they would be willing to donate or sell?

Related links:
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...XH&PartNumber=21470&Description=Muffler+-+H/D
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product2_10001_10002_744688_-1
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=9233

JoshC

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Car Chemistry internal baffles - I have been looking at these as well. Seems like someone here suggested a 25% reduction in cab but needed a meter to verify... Has anyone else tried this?

sermis

The tag inside says 2 1/2 ton. I think it is for a 800 or 900 truck. This one is kinda rusted and beat but I have another one in better shape. Originaly thought about cutting it down but I am trying to work a deal for a soft that will fit. It is about 6" too wide on both sides which works well in the summer scooping in air but in the cold it's like anving AC.

moreorles2

I installed the CarChemistry internal baffles last year. I do not have access to any dB meters but I can now have a conversation with my assistant driver at highway speed without screaming. I did not notice any power loss. I installed it in the exhaust tip pipe- it took some grinding wheel action on the 3.5 inch baffle to finally get it to slip into the pipe and used stainless steel pop riviets to secure it. Overall- I'm satisfied . :)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
To add to Builder77's idea, I own my own RTA and SPL meter. If anyone near cincinnati wants to do a before and after test, let me know.

rampli

I installed the Napa muffler in the same fashion as others in this thread. I'm not happy with the mount. I used a stainless steel hose type clamp. So far it is holding up but I need to replace them with something beefier. I pre-painted the parts with hi-temp paint from the auto parts store. Now I need to prime, touchup and OD the rest of it. So much quieter!

Attachments

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Has anyone problems with their NAPA 21470 muffler? Mine seems to have something loose/broken inside. It became noticeable after only ~200 miles, getting worse during the following ~50. I think it is a vibration related failure as it rattles only at one rpm(1300). Perhaps the mounting brackets are too rigid?? They are 1/4 thick, 2" wide, rolled then cut in half w/tabs for bolts and welded nuts( frt and back). Each has a welded fin on the back for the front ring mount. Muffler is very solidly mounted, being held by the lower 1/2. Comments welcomed. JimK

Attachments

m139h2otruck

Your story about the loose baffles reminded me of the old Michigan loader my old employer had. It used a 4-71 GMC (Jimmy) engine and would go through mufflers in no time. Our old mechanic got sick of changing them out so he just welded up a hollow shell out of old pipe and 1/4" plate and installed it on the Jimmy. You have never heard anything as loud as this thing at full throttle in 2nd gear. No multi could ever be this loud! Could be heard over 2 miles away on a still day in the winter in certain locations.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well soon enough the enviros are going to demand we muffle the trucks to keep from frightening owls and dragons and whatever else is out there. I can attest to Sermis' muffler being very effective. I could hear the non-whistler turbo and also have a conversation easily.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I planned to make a straight pipe for parades but after hearing it muffled I'm never going back. I was surpised the D is so quiet. On rare occasion I can just make out it spooling up. I had 2 comment that it, " looks like it belongs there".JimK

rdixiemiller

I am quite fond of my muffler. I originally had a C turbo, couldn't stand the screeching on a long trip. The D sounds nice, I can hear it spooling (quietly) when I accelerate. The muffler looks like it belongs there, so I am happy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks