• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Muffler Modification.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up this muffler today, went into napa and they had it the next day. Maybe get it on next week if I have time.

Dennis

Last edited:

Desert Rat

N3,
No problem. These dang thunderstorms keep waking me up here in Indiana....... At least in Houston you have some time to prepare for a hurricane. These pop-up storms are driving me NUTS!!!!!!

Trango

Hey,

There was talk here of an inline pump.

Somewhere along the line of me letting my junk sit for a few months, the pump died.

Is an inline pump easier or better?

Bob

Desert Rat

Bob,
The inline pump puts out less fuel than the in tank pump. The engine starves for fuel. So as a result, I could only get about 2100 rpm out of the engine due to the pump. It's great for short slow trips around town but not for highway use. I've already pulled it off.

Trango

So what's the best option if my intank lift pump dies? Can I rebuild it or is there a common fix, short of buying a new one?

Thanks
Bob

Trango

By the way, when I say "died", the pump is receiving voltage but doesn't make the telltale "hum" that means it's running.

Thanks
Bob

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trango. First take the 3 nuts holding the cover on the lift pump off. there will be a Buss fuse under the cover. If it's blown then the most common cause is trash in the pumps impeller. Pull the pump and using a small screwdriver try to turn the pump impeller. Sometimes you can free it up by rotating it. If it's sludge then use brake clean or carb cleaner to clean the screen and impeller. If it's rust then you might need to clean out the tank. There are times when the pump has had it but you may get lucky!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do these pumps fail? I cleaned my tank and pump. The pump is a magnetic drive pump with no seals, and a very simple bearing. Is this the same pump every else has? The motor part on mine is sealed, to me looks to be a good design. No problems so far.

You could put two 12v inline pumps, not inline with each other, would have to spilt the fuel line into two lines to supply them. Then combine the outputs into a single line. Then wire for 24v. Would have twice the volume and not have to worry about 12v.
Dennis

Last edited:

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
DR, could you please post the diameter and length of the muffler. I need to see if it will be able to clear my garage door. With the top off and windshield folded down I can just squeeze into my garage, the steering wheel clears by a pubic hair. Thanks

Desert Rat

Devin,
Gotta watch those hairs! The muffler will (reference the pic) end above the west coast mirror (if yours is so equipped). It will protrude above the steering wheel by approximately 11 to 14 inches depending upon where you cut the bottom of the pipe. The actual can is 30 inches and the overall length is 39 inches. The diameter is seven inches. I hope this helps. Here's a pic of the completed project.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well, Im currently in the process of sanding,grinding, chemically stripping, etc the 11 layers of paint off so its not being driven. Once I repaint it I'll probably park on the street. I live in a track house with an H.O.A. and I dont want to piss off the nieghbors with the rough paint it has now. I like being able to park it in the garage if I have a big project so I dont want the muffler to protrude past the steering wheel. It looks like if I mount it as low as posssible to the fender It might be level with the steering wheel. Thanks for the replies.

Desert Rat

I think you're right Devin. Some creative engineering (like we NEVER do that!) and you should be good to go.

rdixiemiller

Devin
Look in your yellow pages for an industrial cleaning service with a 10 KPSI or bigger pressure washer. It will strip the paint buildup off a lot quicker and safer than the chemical strippers. Should be cheaper as well. I have access to 10KPSI all the way to 50KPSI units at work. The 10K unit does a good job on CARC buildup, and is fairly easy to control.

Pappa-G

I installed my the Napa muffler today - Huge difference!! I had a 5' length of pipe on before. but I cut the original pipe off @ 6" above the fender put on the muffler and shortened the 5 footer down to 3 foot and saved money by not having to purchase a intercom! [thumbzup] ~Pappa-G

Desert Rat

Pappa G,
Share some pics! Yep, it's a huge difference alright. Nice to be able to hear someone else talk to you in a normal voice. If you think that's impressive wait until y'all see what Ken and I do next to REALLY cut down noise. Pics coming this fall. I promise!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks