• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

muffler

Towerguy1

As I understand it, The muffler with the turbo engines will not let the turbo work properly. However there is a "Resonator" that will reduce the noise some and allow exhaust to move freely by. A local fire dept. did that to theirs so they could hear the 2 way radio and it helps. Im shure one of the other members has some more insight on this....

Armada

PM Pappa-g. He put one on his and it makes a difference in quieting it down, but not in performance. He likes it.
I prefer lots of decibels myself...... What?

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I got the muffler from Napa that alot of members have put on.
Its a flow through design and didnt affect the power what so ever, kinda like a large glass pack. It takes away the raspy sound and makes long trips more bearable. It was about $60 and well worth it.

Desert Rat

I have not noticed any difference except I can talk in a calm voice in my Deuce with the NAPA muffler I use. No harm to the turbo at all. I'll have the info this weekend on part numbers.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
The Napa part number is 21470, I did a search in the last big discussion about mufflers. I found it under my previous posts but could not figure out how to do a link. Try doing a search under "muffler modification".

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
The Napa part number is 21470, I did a search in the last big discussion about mufflers. I found it under my previous posts but could not figure out how to do a link. Try doing a search under "muffler modification".

spicergear

Hookin1

I put a muffler on mine it is mounted under the truck just like the army mufflers,i bought mine at a truck parts supplier.I will get the part number today.Mine used to be a non turbo(b-4 gov't rebuild)it still had the bracket on the frame to mount the muffler.The muffler was'nt cheap but it was made for commercial application,and for a engine with more horsepower.i hav'nt noticed any difference in power since putting it on.I'll get some pics to(been needing to do that for a while :D )

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed a muffler in 2001. I can still hear the wistle from the turbo. I don't believe i lost any power. I used a flow through type. And now that i have a hard top, the loudest part of the whole truck is the cooling fan.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like to compare deuce muffler to jumbo shrimp. Oxymorons! Forgot the other one, Jeep doors!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My answer to the initial question is YES, YOU CAN AND YOU SHOULD install a 24 - 26" long x 6"dia. glass pack or flow trough muffler in place of the protective screen. It won’t affect performance and look but it definitely will reduce decibels! Protect your hearing, deuces are noisy enough! I prefer to listen to all (strange) noises, even some conversation and not just to a screaming open exhaust!

To install the deep water fording kit I had to convert my exhaust system to the vertical stack.
3" stainless pipe was routed under and trough the RH fender straight up without any muffler, following the old KIS principle: Keep It Simple! But after the first acceleration it became clear that the job wasn’t finished yet. The truck was simply way to loud, even for hard core deuce heads! So I built my own “glass pack” from stainless steel scrap metal. Instead of fiberglass I used rock-wool insulation material (higher melting point!) to stuff it.
Regarding noise reduction this homemade muffler works better than expected. The difference before/after was impressive! And it is compact enough so that it can’t be seen from the drivers position.

Drive safely (& healthy),keep you deuce quiet!

Gerhard

jasonjc

I used the nape muffel and it works great. I took the top stack off. cut it in two put the muffler in beteewn and welded it back the reinstalled it. With a exatr top stack you can switch back and forth in 2 min tops.

Jason

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks