• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

muffler

Ugg013

Gerhard:

Looks great! [thumbzup] A couple of things though. 1st, it's not the KIS principle, it's KISS "Keep It Simple Stupid (I often call myself that and more graphic, colorful terms)", and 2nd, doesn't the air stack obstruct your view somewhat?

Later
Ugg 8)

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks and very good question, Bjorn! The DWF-kit comes with the hose and brackets to install it parallel to the intake hose ending open right underneath the intake hat. I didn't like this setup and connected the cc. breather via a hose directly to the intake between air filter and turbo. I hope this doesn't affect turbo, intake manifold or intake valves because of some oil mist being sucked in! Otherwise it would, diluted by lots of air, end up soaking the air intake hose and filter element!? Any experience or suggestions?

Gerhard

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ugg, I think you mean that to build simple things and find simple solutions you can't be that stupid!
Yes, that 5" hose can hide a freight train at a certain angle! Since I have the fording kit installed I'm thinking of removing that hose again and only install it if necessary, may be never!... It just looks so interesting and macho!! For the pic...

Ugg013

Gerhard:

What the KISS principle term refers to is that we tend to over complicate things, which in turn, messes things up. It's like a friendly reminder between friends, "Keep it simple, stupid." :wink: Have you ever heard of a guy named Rube Goldberg (no relation to the wrestler)? He was a wacky inventor during the 30's. He'd make some real complicated contraptions to do some of the most simplest things, like scratch your nose. :lol:

On the air stack, I installed that elbow like in the TM, and was thinking about extending it higher. I then thought if I got into water that deep, I'd want to be wearing a wet suit. :lol: Naw, I'll stick to bridges thank you very much. I guess that's what happens once ya enter the ranks of "Old Fart". :)

Later
Ugg 8)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gerhard, this is what I have done (image below); installed a crankcase breather filter, which is terminated just below the mushroom. The height of the air intake is about right for 5 feet of fording.
The breather filter collects about 1/10 of a quart of oil every 1,000 miles of driving.
Connecting it directly to the air intake the way you describe it may cause fluids to collect at some low point unless you plumb it directly from the top of the engine.
Rebreathing oily fumes can cause your engine to run on those fumes alone. It could also foul up the compressor. Why not get a filter?

Attachments

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gerhard,
I really like what you've done. That's one of the reasons I like 'hanging out' here. SO much knowledge. Bjorn, I liked what you've done as well. Didn't you post a couple more pix of that set up in another thread?

So much knowledge, so little time to absorb it all. Keep up the great work folks. jim