• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MV Ham Radio Equipment Pic thread?

kicker9898

Hi All, well I'm in big trouble....was finally able to purchase my first MV this spring, a 923A2. Of course, after bringing it home I had to "ACCESSORIZE!" so now have LED lighting, stereo with enough volume to hear while driving, CB and antenna. Now I've been bitten by the HAM bug while researching comms...sigh...it never ends :mrgreen:

I'm taking my Amateur test this weekend so I'll hopefully be a duly authorized Amateur Radio licensee shortly. I've gotten a couple of HT's but live in a hilly, rural area with a never used repeater. I'm now researching 2m/440 mobile rigs and antennas to mount on the green beast, and would love to see some pictures of fellow MV/Radio enthusiasts rigs to give me some ideas of where to head next.
I'd love to see and hear about HF and 10M setups as well.

Anyone game to contribute to a picture thread?

No interior pictures yet but here are a few to start.

The morning after the 832 mile recovery trip..my sons checking it out while I was asleep!
Truck 1.jpg
The LED Lightbar and custom mount I had made.

Lightbar.jpg
This guy will be going on the dashboard, just for a little more fun and conversation :-D

Zombiemobile.jpg

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Believe me when I tell you, the question is not what ham radios we install in our vehicles, but how we are able to hear anything when operating them over the din of the engine noise. In the larger MVs, headphone operation or an amplified loudspeaker are almost required to hear your radio contact when the vehicle is in operation.

RangerBob

Like maddawg308 said, hearing and being heard will be a problem. I haven't installed anything yet, so no pictures, but I did purchase a portable FlightCom intercom system from Aircraft Spruce & Specialty. It runs on 9-32V, powered by internal 9V battery or vehicle. You can get the 2-place version for about $100. I got the 4-place version (which expands the 4-place with just the addition of a remote module) for use in the deuce, 12pax snowcat, and airplane. I also purchased a couple of cheap, but effective, headsets for about $100ea. I've already tried the intercom and headsets in the deuce and, while not quite a set of DCs, they do the job. Pictures with links..
flightcomIISX.jpgflightcom4DX.jpg
The intercom...
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/flightcom2sx.php
And a video overview of the intercom...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJvq8Dd7scA
The headset...
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/4dx.php

I believe I got combo package 1B...http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/flightcom_combos.php?clickkey=447572

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a picture of my 1965 Unimog at the Sevierville, TN, Aircraft Museum and Air Show last weekend. Our local Knoxville Military Vehicle Club, KMVC, participated.

Radios on board included:

- Original SEM 35 German VHF transceiver on vehicle mount (on front radio bench) with Antenna matching unit and antenna
- Qriginal SEM 25 portable VHF transceiver, portable, internal 12v battery.
- RT-320 British Clansman (PRC-320) HF transceiver set up as pack set
- PRC-351/352 British Clansman VHF Tactical packset
- PRC-351/352 set for truck to truck comms on 51 MHz
- Kenwood commercial GMRS transceiver for truck convoy comms
- ham radio station including Kenwood TS-120, military RF Communications antenna tuner, Yaesu 2 meter transceiver.
- R-392 General coverage receiver 2 to 30 MHz
- R-442 VHF receiver
- Antennas in 5 ports on top are are typically AB-15 bases with various length combinations of MS-116, 117, 118 depending on frequency of radio. Plus a couple of mag mounts for 2 meters and GMRS.
- Intercom is VIC-1 for driver and passenger, with third set available for the comm box.043.jpg

kicker9898

Cool stuff so far everybody, thanks for the contributions!

Do the radios in the ammo can have any heating issues? That looks really convenient, it would be nice to be able to move to other vehicles.

That headset/intercom system looks cool. I was planning on a Rugged Radios IC setup but have to let my wallet recover. That looks like a good alternative.

Nice Unimog! I would love to have one someday when I'm rich and famous :)

Flyingvan911

Sorry for the late response. I keep the lid off when operating so there's lots of room for air to circulate. I made sure to leave plenty of space between the gear and the case for airflow.

BillIdaho

I would LOVE to post pictures of my Goat, as the entire carrier is full of comm-gear.
When I bought it, it was stripped and had the ever-present million holes drilled all over the rear carrier (as most MV's do after Bubba got ahold of it.) So, being a welder by trade for quite some time, I welded them up................... Then I did some serious research on the history of that particular Goat, and found out it was used for comm's-WITHOUT an S250 shelter, which was quite unusual. So all those holes I welded shut, needed to be drilled back out. (At least I knew where to re-locate everything.)
Anyway, my web-fu is plum-terrible, so posting pictures is way beyond my capabilities.
The entire rear carrier is full of working stuff. I do know how to attach pictures to an email, but that's about it.

Doug Roberts

your sound system sounds great to have installed but I'd advise using a headset while operating. You will be losing your hearing trying to volume up stuff while on the road

plode

I'll be mounting up some radios in the truck in the next month or so. It's going to be a Yaesu FT-7900R, a Kenwood TS-480SAT, and likely a commercial VHF rig for my fire company/emergency management. I still have yet to figure out what I want to do for antennas. I have one fender mount and the AS/3900 antenna but it's internal electronics had water damage..so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I like the look of the big military antenna on the truck, but there aren't any that are broadband for HF usage. And same for VHF/UHF. I have some of the mount for the radio for the cab.
Probably going to get a AM/FM radio and some speakers as well...it could use some music.

ke5eua

It covers 6. Standard 33-88 range.

I actually used it when I was stationed at Gordon.

Unit was doing the range and I was in my truck at lunch and range control was trying to get them. I ended up being a middle man as their radio died. Had oic on the cell phone and range control on the radmor.

My overall wish radio is micom manpack radio. Just can't justify 5k+ on a radio.

AN/ARC186

I picked one of these up to handle intercom and radio chores.http://www.ps-engineering.com/pma5000ex.shtml
while a bit spendy it give me the ability to connect multiple radios for receive/transmit through the headsets as well as integral stereo intercom and cell phone interface, plus I can connect my music into it and have full stereo. There are modules available that allow you to connect it to just about any R/T out there.

Building a comm console right now for my gear, will post pics once completed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks