• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MV of the Month July 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix77

Tomorrow the fat lady singsfat lady singsfat lady sings
Here's my 1986 AM General M998 HMMWV "Sweet Pea" - my nickname for my 12 y/o daughter - who incidentally, is a big fan of the HMMWV. Naming it after my daughter also helped ease my wife's ire about me buying a surplus HMMWV in need of restoration without consulting with her first. Sorry dear (not sorry). Recently fabricated the roof rack system that also holds four (4) additional 5 gallon Jerry cans of Diesel and converted surplus computer server cases as additional lockable gear storage on the troop seating haunches.

Seen here sans doors before going to participate in a Mother's Day parade this year at the retirement community my Mom lives in and has been quarantined in since March. It was a treat for the vets and non-vets alike to see the HMMWV drive through.

When I bought her, she had no top, door, rear seats etc. Dead batteries and all. I replaced all the indicator lights and headlights with LEDs after dropping $420 on two (2) new batteries; once bitten, twice shy. I also installed LED cubes as reverse lighting and wired them to the shifter power source, using a tractor solenoid and threading it to the shifter the way the ambulances have it. Also installed a 12k WARN winch on the front, which has been used thus far to retrieve logs from our property for me to mill on our sawmill. I wired 12v dual-usb chargers in the rear of the vehicle without compromising the milsurp look. I installed dynamat wherever possible and added some "tactical gentrification" by doing a self-adhesive rubber diamond plate on the inside where the rotting insulation was. I also got custom-cut Kydex MOLLE panels cut by EOD Gear and ran them between the A-B and B-C pillars for additional overhead storage and mag pouches etc.

She's going to be driving on the sand at Cape Lookout, NC in October, and I can't wait.
SweetPea.jpg

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's my 1986 AM General M998 HMMWV "Sweet Pea" - my nickname for my 12 y/o daughter - who incidentally, is a big fan of the HMMWV. Naming it after my daughter also helped ease my wife's ire about me buying a surplus HMMWV in need of restoration without consulting with her first. Sorry dear (not sorry). Recently fabricated the roof rack system that also holds four (4) additional 5 gallon Jerry cans of Diesel and converted surplus computer server cases as additional lockable gear storage on the troop seating haunches.

Seen here sans doors before going to participate in a Mother's Day parade this year at the retirement community my Mom lives in and has been quarantined in since March. It was a treat for the vets and non-vets alike to see the HMMWV drive through.

When I bought her, she had no top, door, rear seats etc. Dead batteries and all. I replaced all the indicator lights and headlights with LEDs after dropping $420 on two (2) new batteries; once bitten, twice shy. I also installed LED cubes as reverse lighting and wired them to the shifter power source, using a tractor solenoid and threading it to the shifter the way the ambulances have it. Also installed a 12k WARN winch on the front, which has been used thus far to retrieve logs from our property for me to mill on our sawmill. I wired 12v dual-usb chargers in the rear of the vehicle without compromising the milsurp look. I installed dynamat wherever possible and added some "tactical gentrification" by doing a self-adhesive rubber diamond plate on the inside where the rotting insulation was. I also got custom-cut Kydex MOLLE panels cut by EOD Gear and ran them between the A-B and B-C pillars for additional overhead storage and mag pouches etc.

She's going to be driving on the sand at Cape Lookout, NC in October, and I can't wait.
Phoenix, after I bought the M35 & M105 my wife kind of tolerated the green vehicles in the driveway. When she mentioned that Jeeps were cute, and having one would be nice, I jumped on the suggestion and purchased a 1953 M38A1 Jeep. She went out and purchased an OD outfit and full camo outfit to wear at our MV events, along with a stuffed Papa Bear Teddy. PB and stuft Teddy.png

Phoenix77

Phoenix, after I bought the M35 & M105 my wife kind of tolerated the green vehicles in the driveway. When she mentioned that Jeeps were cute, and having one would be nice, I jumped on the suggestion and purchased a 1953 M38A1 Jeep. She went out and purchased an OD outfit and full camo outfit to wear at our MV events, along with a stuffed Papa Bear Teddy. View attachment 806098
My daughter wears OD green and camouflage stuff. I have given her some of my surplus t-shirts I buy in multipacks for yard work etc. I think it's awesome.

My wife, not so much. 😕

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My daughter wears OD green and camouflage stuff. I have given her some of my surplus t-shirts I buy in multipacks for yard work etc. I think it's awesome.

My wife, not so much. 😕
Phoenix, hopefully the Wife joins in, this is a great Hobby for the entire family. :D

Last edited:

Phoenix77

Phoenix, hopefully the Wife joins in, this is a great Hobby for the entire family. :D
Thanks; I hope so too.

I converted a Gichner S-250 Comms Shelter into a family camper by dropping it in an M1102 trailer and doing a full 12v system with solar charger etc. that can plug into a generator or shore power and run A/C.

I built it this spring (thank you, shelter in place order!) and we took it out for a weekend already. Pretty successful. I need to post my build somewhere.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks; I hope so too.

I converted a Gichner S-250 Comms Shelter into a family camper by dropping it in an M1102 trailer and doing a full 12v system with solar charger etc. that can plug into a generator or shore power and run A/C.

I built it this spring (thank you, shelter in place order!) and we took it out for a weekend already. Pretty successful. I need to post my build somewhere.
DSCF2128.JPG I've had this S-250 shelter for a year and a half and am moving it into the driveway tomorrow to get started on a camper conversion.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Poll is up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks