• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MV security

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

In the interest of keeping your vehicle "stock" looking but making it so no one can jump in it and drive off when it is parked and your not there, what suggestions do you guys have? Hidden key switches? Disconnect the batteries?? Wheel locks?? All thoughts welcome!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the steering wheel chain. I've also devised a parking brake lock that needs 1" of weld to be completed but its more for keeping the kids from undoing it. If you were going to drive it to the theatre for a show you could always take the dogbone cable from between the batteries and toss it in the wife's purse. Tough to move without that!

Jones

I'm for steering wheel locks; be they chains or flip-over locking tab. A second line of defense is also desirable should the first be breached. Fuel cut-off and/or electrical system disconnects are a good deterrent. So that the engine doesn't burn up due to low or no oil, some of our stuff has a button that needs to be pushed in and held until the oil pressure comes up. That's a worthwhile feature for a number of reasons.
Remember too that subtle is the name of the game, even to mis-labeling an extra toggle or push-button; only you'll know that there aren't two sets of convoy lights on your rig.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Several great suggestions here.

I don't know about anyone else, but in my truck, the transfer case shift lever has a flat spot with a hole in it. And there is a tab attached to the floor that also has a hole in it. When you put the transfer case in neutral you can slip a lock through the two holes, locking the transfer case in neutral. Which a thief probably won't notice until after dropping it into gear, letting off the clutch only to find nothing happens.

I also have purchased and will soon install a hidden electrical 'kill switch'. It physically disconnects the batteries from the truck. I got this at Harbor Freight for $3 on sale.

I am hoping to add a second fuel tank on the drivers side. In the process I will be installing a fuel cut off valve so that fuel won't be able to get to the engine. Second will be the on/off electrical switch for each fuel tank pump. So double whammy on the fuel tanks. I will get the valve from Saturn Surplus soon.

Here are pix of the transfer case lever and my steering wheel chain and lock. And like many others the truck is parked up against the house.

Last edited:

m35a2cowner

On the passenger side of the truck (I have a 70 model M35) there is a dimple in the firewall just above the floor. I drilled that out and installed a battery cut out switch in the firewall. I disconnected the positive feed wire from the starter and attached it to one side of the switch. I bought a short heavy duty battery cable and attached it to the switch and the starter. I painted the same color as the floor and its not noticeable when the key is removed. The result is something that disables everything electrical and can be turned on and off from the driver's seat. It does not change the appearance of the dash and since its not noticeable its fairly secure. I added a shot of undercoat to the firewall under the hood to camouflage it further. I got everything at NAPA

ida34

My truck came with a small device that has a cut out for the master switch. It swings back an forth. I can use a small pad lock to lock the master switch in the closed position. It came on the truck and I may use it. I will try to post pics later.

Chuck

Low-Tech-Redneck

I use the chain and padlock for now, but it really never goes anywhere where it would be out of my sight. If I ever have to leave it somewhere I'm worred about, I'll just snag the short battery cable and take that with me. Won't fire without that.

Kill switches are the best idea I've heard yet though, they're easy to install and would defeat anyone who would otherwise know most of the "tricks" to starting a deuce.

SixBuy

My truck came with an official US army padlock on the steering wheel chain complete with an official US army number on the lock cylinder. Problem is, I didn't get the official US Army key with it! Does anybody know if a key can be made from the number? Having a working US lock would be nice.

gbooth

I installed a caterpillar master key battery switch. Wired it between the Truck master switch and where it hooks to the starter. When this switch is in the off nothing in the electrical system including the horn ,lights, fuel pump will work.

Greg

williamh

SixBuy said:
My truck came with an official US army padlock on the steering wheel chain complete with an official US army number on the lock cylinder. Problem is, I didn't get the official US Army key with it! Does anybody know if a key can be made from the number? Having a working US lock would be nice.

thats funny ,mine came the same way !!!! :lol: :lol:

i also use a battery disconnect .

area52

My first deuce had no master switch, just a generic ignition switch in its place. It came that way from GL. Of course when I picked it up, there was no key for it so I just went down to Auto Zone and got another switch with key and replaced it.

davemccoull

Security

Morning folks
When my truck is parked i take of battery connector lead, and pull out the stopper handle, and have made lock so i can lock it in out position. Just be aware all these precautions are only to keep honest folk out, if somebody really wants your truck they will nick it!
Dave.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks