• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MV security

ida34

I did pick up a couple of 5200 locks on ebay and use them to secure my tool compartment and the chain welded on the floor to the steering wheel. Mine had the clamp and chain on the column but it was cut off and sitting on the floor when I got it. I plan to weld it back in place and use that instead of the chain to the floor. The 5200 stamped US is the only lock that looks right and they are tough as nails. The same locks are used to secure alot of vending type machines. Master locks are ok but they do not look the part on a military vehicle.

Trango

I run a battery disconnect, and I also made a SUPER heavy duty chain securement for the steering wheel, way heavier than the stock chain. I am using lifting chain, which looks to have a little hardening, as a much more secure option to lock the steering wheel.

Crazyguyla

There's always painting the start button the same color as the dsash. It had me fooled for like 5 min once when i jumped in a duece after not driving one for 5 yrs. everything on the dash was green.. i had to remeber where the start button was, and being green didn't help me remeber. I keep fidling with the wiper air valve to start the truck. finally noticed the start button LOL

Crazyguyla

ida34 said:
I did pick up a couple of 5200 locks on ebay and use them to secure my tool compartment and the chain welded on the floor to the steering wheel. Mine had the clamp and chain on the column but it was cut off and sitting on the floor when I got it. I plan to weld it back in place and use that instead of the chain to the floor. The 5200 stamped US is the only lock that looks right and they are tough as nails. The same locks are used to secure alot of vending type machines. Master locks are ok but they do not look the part on a military vehicle.
5200 Locks aren't that tough. they'll take a lot of abuse from chisels, hammers, and bolt cutters, but give me an F wrench and a 18 in pry bar and that locks off in 5 secs. i was always the master key in the motor pool when some stupid Joe lost the key for the his vehicle

Hookin1

I use the goverment issued chain on the steering wheel,also have a keyed(cat issue)battery disconnect switch.sometimes when i'm out of town i worry when i'm in the motel that someone might run off with it.If all else fails the 9mm ruger works pretty good.

eddiec

if the spent casings do not do the trick, try hanging a dummy grenade from the rifle mount with a string tied to the pull pin, with the other end attached to the door. just exit from the passenger side. [thumbzup]

kenny

A big chain around the axle and a 50 year old oak tree works good.
Or if you like Fireworks and have a thing for large bug zapers you always could run 220 volts with a welding cord under a front seat cover and a ground to the steering wheel. :twisted:
Check with your local state laws first.
You may have to post "WARNING HIGH VOLTAGE" on it.

ida34

5200 Locks aren't that tough. they'll take a lot of abuse from chisels, hammers, and bolt cutters, but give me an F wrench and a 18 in pry bar and that locks off in 5 secs. i was always the master key in the motor pool when some stupid Joe lost the key for the his vehicle
Well the most secure lock would be the high security padlocks I used in the arms room for the door but come on the chains will break with enough leverage. Or you could just pull the chain away from the what ever it is connected to. Put up against some of the locks you get at Walmart the 5200 does pretty good.

I lost a key to a wall lockbox and set out to spend an hour drilling it out to replace it. I started to drill in one place and the bit went in about half and inch and damned if the lock did not open with the rotation of the drill. It took me about 10 seconds to open this lockbox.

My point is that with a few hand tools you can open just about anything. If you have the tools you are a determined thief and most of the time if a thief is determined he will get your car. We can only hope to discourage part time joy riding type car thieves.

All it takes to get into any car is the porcelin part of a spark plug. You throw it at any car window and it will smash easily. If you don't have the right tool it can be pretty hard to smash a car window.

I plan on putting a transponder key system from a ford on mine and putting in lojack. If that doesn't work then I guess I will just have to beat the crap out of any would be attacker. One more word, if I am ever carjacked it will be very bad. I will need a new driver's side window and I will need new seatcovers and carpet. Think about it.

I also have a 5200 for the original look they have. A master lock hanging on the chain just doesn't look right.

Chuck[/quote]

Low-Tech-Redneck

Looks like it was an in-house manufacturing job on that switch lock. Not that it wouldn't do the job mind you, It just doesn't look like somthing that has a NSN# associated with it :lol:

mangus580

I was sitting here thinking that it would be a great idea to make one of them.... BUT.... your truck could still be pull started, and driven away. The driver just wouldnt have any gauges. Now if it locked the engine stop cable out.

da_sgt

A pair of side cutters would take care of a "locked" stop cable. Everything mentioned thus far would stop only kids, and novice crooks. I'm just wondering how many deuces have been stolen? How far could you get without being noticed :roll: I think the best safe guard would be a inline fuel shut off valve hidden somewhere, then "they" would have to drag it if they wanted it :wink:

FrankUSMC

If some one wanted my M35A2 and they saw it had a lock on the master switch, and they went as far as to try to pull it........wow.. they really want my truck!
On that master switch lock system. That is neat!!! could you send me a couple of photos of it with rough measurements to normandy@ec.rr.com
I will take it to our machine shop to see if they could make us on the board a couple. If they can make some for us, the cost would be some where around a box of doughnuts.
One of the few, Frank

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spent the last month in the outback of Baja...
Left the keys in the ignition for the whole month (with the doors unlocked)!
our dogs are not so good at the bark, but excell at the bight!
When we enter the puestos militar (military check points on MEX 1) the soldiers treat our bouviers like rockstars...

ida34

Mine looked like a motorpool fabrication. the hinge side has a rivet in it. I will work up a dimensional sketch and send it along. It probably looked more stock before the paint pealed off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks