• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1984 Chevrolet Suburban K20 4x4 3/4 ton CUCV clone #2 - AKA: M1007 or M1029

Crash_AF

I'm thinking about putting the CUCV glow plug controller and system in mine. The harness is stand-alone for the most part, and when I swap the CUCV engine in, all the sensors will already be there.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally found that 4X4 6.2L Burb. EXCELLENT!

I will await the time that you are satisfied with the results and drop by and show me.

Patience IS a virtue. And you have waited quite a while for one like this. Ain't Texas a great place to find 'Cowboy Cadillacs'? Especially 6.2L ones with 4x4.

You have the skills to make what you want it to become.

Keep us up to date with pix as you go. How about a video? Loved the last Burb you did.

K9Vic

Finally found that 4X4 6.2L Burb. EXCELLENT!

I will await the time that you are satisfied with the results and drop by and show me.

Patience IS a virtue. And you have waited quite a while for one like this. Ain't Texas a great place to find 'Cowboy Cadillacs'? Especially 6.2L ones with 4x4.

You have the skills to make what you want it to become.

Keep us up to date with pix as you go. How about a video? Loved the last Burb you did.

You want to hear the interesting part, I got it from Pilot Point on FM455 just before the RR tracks. I had actually asked you later on the phone if you noticed that red Suburban when we took that way back from Holiday. Funny how things work out the way they do as I wondered if it was for sale, but figured it was a gas. I did not stop to ask at that time because you were following me and you needed to get back home. Plus there was no for sale sign and just thought it was another ranch tuck parked on the side of the house. Well one Craigslist posting 2 weeks later I ended up going back and buying it.

It seems to be fully loaded for the time, so having the 700R4 seems to be pretty rare as others thought they did not have them in 3/4 ton. Be nice to know how many 82-90 Suburban (91 had 4L80-E) like this one were made.

Oh and a native Texas told me once, the best vehicle deals are on the side of the road out in the country. So when you go places you should always take the back roads because you never know what you will find.

Last edited:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: 700R4 was available in 1984 3/4 ton with diesel.

Never knew the 700R4 was an option on the 3/4 ton model. Always thought they got the TH400 until 91' when that was the only year for a 4L80E in the straight axle body style. Keep a build thread...that's a nice rig!

Copied from a 1984 showroom handout.

1984 Suburban diesel specification.jpg

Skinny

I personally like the 91' K30 4x4...what is considered to be the unicorn of fourwheel drive Chevy trucks. 4L80E transmission mated to an NP205...yes please!

GrumpyGunny

Good Job on getting that Suburban, I actually looked at that one online, and talked to the guy and his wife about it. I really wanted it but it was kinda far for me to pay for the shipping costs, so I ended up getting one from a guy near Reno for $700 will post some pics when I get it in the next day or two. Great Grab on that one.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will find that the bumper and shackles are a direct bolt on on the 4x4 frame. I have a set on mine.

I haven't found the info I was looking for on the VIN. Still looking

K9Vic

Good Job on getting that Suburban, I actually looked at that one online, and talked to the guy and his wife about it. I really wanted it but it was kinda far for me to pay for the shipping costs, so I ended up getting one from a guy near Reno for $700 will post some pics when I get it in the next day or two. Great Grab on that one.
WOW, I think he said something about a guy from out of state asking about it. He also said some guy looked at it and just kicked the tires, but I guess it not running scared him. I gave him his asking price as it was a fair price and was surprises it was not sold on the first day. This is actually the second Suburban that I bough where another SS member was interested in it. See my first build on I think page two.

Oh and welcome to SS, bet you did not expect to see that Suburban posted here, LOL!!

Attachments

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do remember that Red Burb. But like you, I figured it was a gasser.

MY 1991 GMC V1500 HAD the 700R4, not the 4L80E.

I still need to talk to your buddy up in Pilot Point that restores CUCV's for that drivers side door. I also need to talk to you about selling my M1009. Call me when you have a few spare moments.

K9Vic

So I spent a few hours stripping off some of the chrome on this thing and there is allot of it. So earlier in the day I was thing about how I could paint the chrome handles and the few other items that cannot be replaced with non-chrome. As I was searching the internets I ran across a product called "Plasti Dip" that is like a spay on vinyl wrap, but much cheaper. The best part is they make it in camouflage, black, green and brown. I watched a few videos and you can cover chrome and since it is a plastic it will not chip. So that is the solution for the handles and such and you do not even have to remove the parts to spay it. Any over spray can be cleaned and removed. You can buy a case of 11oz cans for about $60.

Cleaned the engine bay some more and mostly around the fuel pump so I can remove and block it off for the electric. I found that the fuel lines are on the inside of the frame and not the outside like the CUCV trucks. I found where to install it and will start Friday evening.

To be "legal" I need to paint it before I start driving it as Texas keeps vehicle colour and I told them it was green, LOL! So plan is to get that painting done now before I change out the bumpers so I can drive it if I need too.

I am planning on changing over to the CUCV single headlight setup as I have a lead on the front radiator support and all other parts as that has to be changed out. Hopefully it will not be that expensive to change over, but it will be allot of work. Will be worth it as the dual headlight will just not look good.

Attachments

richingalveston

Let me know the parts you need on the front end, I still have the 1008 parts truck and everything but the grill and bumpers is still there.

I have the rear seats and third seat from the 87 burb I parted they are cloth, tan and free. need to get them out of the way.

greg6459

richingalveston, I actually have the Humble Blazer that you and K9Vic put your hood on. Do you have the motor from the parts truck and does it run? Just curious.

Last edited:

K9Vic

Too dark for pictures but I installed the shackle mounts and did not have to cut the radiator support like the 2wd one. Everything will fit without any cutting, so that is good. I do have to drill holes for the green shackle bars mounts, but that is no big deal. I also used new grade 8 bolts for peace of mind and added safety since there will be a winch mounted on them.

There is absolute no rust on the underside of the cabin, it is like new from the factory and only was dirty. After I cleaned all the dirt off it looks like it just came off the line.

Let me know the parts you need on the front end, I still have the 1008 parts truck and everything but the grill and bumpers is still there.

I have the rear seats and third seat from the 87 burb I parted they are cloth, tan and free. need to get them out of the way.
I sent you a PM, if anyone wants to see what parts richingalveston has, please see his classified listing or PM him.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?101188-I-have-lots-of-parts-from-previous-1009-part-out

K9Vic

Weekend #1 (May 5/4) over and spent it all working on the Suburban..........

Next weekends plans..
Fuel pump electric.
GP bypass with manual switch.
Clean interior.
Loose chrome mirrors & rain gutters.
Install front CUCV bumper, shackles & grille.

Pictures.
Weekend #2 (May 11/12) over and spent most of it working on the Suburban.

Replaced the fuel pump with electric, that was a PITA to access since the lines are inside the frame. Trashed a shirt as it was soaked in diesel fuel, but it was a work shirt anyways. That took about 4 hours to complete, but no more lift pump!

Did not do a manual GP switch as I am converting to the 85+ system after the suggestion from Warthog. Parts should be here this week and will use that over a manual switch.

Did not clean the interior, I will try to get that next weekend.

Chrome mirrors and rain gutters removed, have non-chrome parts to install.

I have the CUCV shackle mounts installed, but did not put the bumper and grille on as I am likely changing to the single headlights. So that will be done later, but it it ready to go. I did remove the rear bumper and will work on adding the shackles next weekend. This has the OEM hitch system, so I am going to try and keep it and add the step bumper.

I had to replace the alternator, it was not charging and I did notice that when I drove it home. I thought it may have been the 6 year old batteries, but turns out it was bad. Since it was only $80 and a rebuild kit was about $40. I just bought the replacement as there is no waiting and do not have to mess with a rebuild. I did try changing the voltage regulator from a spare, but still low voltage. So the rectifier was probably bad.

Here are a few pictures, the platform you see is something I made to stand on when working on the CUCV trucks. it is like the winch plate that uses the receiver adapters from Harbor Freight, but have a flat metal plate to stand on. Much safer over using a step ladder as it will not fall out from you.

Attachments

MilChevyguy

Darn ! ! ! Where was this picture of the work platform when I was doing my waterpump!!??..my ribs are still killing me from leaning over the bush bar the whole time.

That is a great idea for making life easier when working on trucks....Thanks K9VIC ! ! !

K9Vic

Darn ! ! ! Where was this picture of the work platform when I was doing my waterpump!!??..my ribs are still killing me from leaning over the bush bar the whole time.

That is a great idea for making life easier when working on trucks....Thanks K9VIC ! ! !
Your welcome, I been meaning to post this before but I did not have any pictures of it in use. I did not feel like taking off my winch on one of my trucks to take a picture, but now with this build I was able to. This is why I wanted to get the front shackles on so quickly so I can work under the hood without a ladder. I also remove the hood latch so that is not digging in my chest, you can kind of see it flat in the last picture.

I will make a new tread for it and take more pictures of it from all angles and what size metal was used in the next few days.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got to tell you guys that work platform Gary came up with is EXCELLENT. I told him he should make them for other CUCV owners. Parts would not be that big a deal, as he has a plasma cutter.

They are heavy, but that's just a shipping charge. And THESE THINGS held both Gary and I at the same time while we were replacing an IP.

HUGE IMPROVEMENT over a ladder.

K9Vic

Weekend #3 (May 18/19)

Saturday was spent at the 4 Wheel Parts Truck & Jeep Fest in Dallas to hopefully find some parts for the build and I was lucky to get some good stuff. Two Pro Comp Rock Crawler wheels & two Mickey Thompson 285/75R-16 Baja ATZ tires. This is in planning to put a 4" lift on the truck and run 33" tires and the 285/75 is equal to a 33". I got them super cheap as they have a over stock sale where everything is dirt cheap. So I just need to get two more of each and will have saved a ton of cash to help pay for the lift. I also got a set of the Smittybilt G.E.A.R. Front Seat Covers for the M1009.

So after getting home about 4pm from the show and stopping at a friends I decided to just relax for the day. But at about 8pm I did install the glow plug conversion to the 85+ system and works great. I got that done just before it got too dark.

--

Sunday morning I got some CUCV parts from a friend for my front single headlight conversion and some other misc stuff. Got home about 2 and started working on the conversion about 3 and got most of it done. I have the complete CUCV front including the NATO plug and black out lights, so it will look authentic. Taking the radiator support out was kind of a PITA, but I manages to get it. I did not want to take the fenders off, so that made it a little more difficult. I used the CUCV wire harness and compared it to the civilian one. Everything looked correct for the normal lights and the obvious extra wires that are for the CUCV stuff. I did not test it yet as I just ran out of time for the day. I will finish it up during the week and plan next weekend for getting the bumpers installed.

On order from LMC that is needed before I complete single headlight conversion, headlight relay wire harness & H4 headlight conversion. Also go all new plastic lenses so it will look like new when done.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks