• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1984 Chevrolet Suburban K20 4x4 3/4 ton CUCV clone #2 - AKA: M1007 or M1029

K9Vic

Burb is back from the shop and lift is installed with no issues on the install. My mechanic does great work and is an expert on lifting these old Chevy trucks as he owns a few lifted K5 Blazers. One part he told me I should get is an add a leaf since he suspected that the rear springs likely had some sag and when adding the lift it could sit to high in the front. Well turns out he was correct as the added leaf made it sit even and would have been front high if it was not added. So that saved me time and labor since it was all added at once.

So with the 33" tires and 4" lift it is about 6" high over where it was before. It needs an alignment to get the steering wheel straight, but no pull or issues. Driving it is different over stock, but I have a M1009 with a lift before for a short time so I knew how to handle them. Still will need to get used to driving it and especially getting in it. Right now there is no step or anything, but my mechanic told me how to get in. Do not use the steering wheel, but grab the door and push yourself up. I may add a handle on the A-Pillar to help until I get something like those rock sliders.

When it is painted it will look SOOOO much better, but here it is this morning with the lift and a few pictures of the front install.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking good. So you went with a spring lift instead of a body lift?

I might have missed it, but why did you need the lift?

K9Vic

I think that body lifts are no bueno, they do not look good and might as well spend the money to do it right.

I just wanted it lifted, the original M1007 that was posted here also had a 4" lift and liked how it looked.

Skinny

Getting closer to the Dante's Peak truck :)

No body lifts...or atleast keep it to under 1". These big floppy C channel frames do not mix well with a long wheel base body and tall body mounts.

K9Vic

Getting closer to the Dante's Peak truck :)

No body lifts...or atleast keep it to under 1". These big floppy C channel frames do not mix well with a long wheel base body and tall body mounts.
True, and I ordered the FJ80 snorkel kit and will be here on Friday. I doubt I will ever venture into water that deep, but I like the look of them and with that CK5 thread I found them for about $140 shipped. I will make an attempt to install it this weekend and also set the Wilderness roof rack. That will really make it look like the Dante's Peak burb.

K9Vic

As I have to fill/patch holes in the roof from the OEM roof rack I placed the Wilderness roof rack on the roof (WOW, lots of roof). I may have to get a slide rail from Wilderness and different mounts to mount it, but I think it will look good when done. So here are a few pictures of that and I also did two photoshop images with the Toyota FJ 80 snorkel.

Attachments

K9Vic

Taking a break from spray painting the Burb, but here is the progress so far.

Since it is easy to touch up paint I decided to not fix the dents at this time, you can see the tailgate and driver door are the major dents. I had already painted the grille area with a foam brush because I did not want over spray on the radiator support. I still have to finish the roof and that I will roll.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's GREEN!!!!

Looks good. Now you will have to go to the junkyard and get the black window rubber. That chrome looks gooffy.

Ive been working on my white Burb today. I need to pull the SM465 tranny out and rebuild it. It has a bad rattle inside. Anyway before I did that I thought I would check the axles as I have read where sometimes the noise can be in the gears. Pulled the front cover and all looked fine. Pulled the back cover and found some chunks of the spider gears :-(. Looks like I may have caught the G80 GOV-LOC (Gov-bomb) before it exploded.

You might want to check yours before driving it too much.

axle1.jpg

Last edited:

K9Vic

It's GREEN!!!!

Looks good. Now you will have to go to the junkatrd and get the black window rubber. That crome looks gooffy.
Yes agreed, it looks worse since the chrome is faded and yellowed out. I did have a set of black trim from the junk yard, but I had the windshield guy use it for that, so I need another set.

K9Vic

I saw your main post on your rear axle Warthog and thank you for the advise.

I will always check my axles to know what they look like and will probably do that tomorrow. I know it has been serviced at one time since there is orange silicone around it like yours had. So I will for sure be checking the front and rear axles.

I also added a few more pictures in my previous post, added the winch but is not powered yet.

Last edited:

Skinny

I'm sending you my left kidney...I will expect reasonable shipping on the truck with a signed title!!!

I officially dislike you and your build based solely on jealousy! Keep up the sweet build!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks