• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1992 M923a2 is home!

bricksrkids

Went up to Northen Michigan and picked up my new truck. Drove it 920 miles home in 2 days without a single problem. The truck runs and drives great. It's a 1992 and has 2010 rebuild tags. When I picked it up, the odo was at 12k.

The cargo cover is perfect, the seats are perfect, the truck has good paint, and the engine looks almost new. No tools or chains, so I'll need to pick them up. The tires are XLs that have never sat low, so they worked perfect on the trip home.

I averaged about 9.5 mpg's. In Ohio I saw 11 mpgs because it was pretty flat.

The top speed is about 65, but I ran it between 55 and 60.

This morning I went to the tag office and in 5 minutes I had a legal Georgia tag in my hand. The tag was $20 plus I had to pay tax.

The truck needs nothing. I almost wish it needed something to work on, but it doesn't. Even the CTIS works flawlessly. All the gauges work, all the lights, everything.

There were two bad parts of the trip. First, the nice guy who met me with the truck (not the seller) has a very nice HMMWV. After riding in it and checking it out, I must have one. So if I find one I may need to sell the M923a2 because my wife would kill me if I had two military vehicles.

Second, Detroit is bankrupt and so are their roads. From Detroit to Ohio I though my kidneys were going to explode. At one point I really felt like I had been on a bucking rollercoaster for too long and almost puked.

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove mine almost 250 miles from Fontana, Ca to Las Vegas, NV and mine was like yours no issues no trouble and with full bins full of tools the truck needed nothing. and I know about what you mean jumping up and down Ca freeways eeek... but good job..

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you got a nice one! Don't worry, something will need fixing as time goes on, or at least some modifications to make it yours :wink:.

Smokinyoda

Yep, you can start with locking door handles, and a keyed master switch. Keeps honest people honest, and accident prone people from making costly mistakes.

Smokinyoda

The keyed door handles are available in our classified section. The master switch may or not be, but is available on an auction site that starts with e. I have had good luck with the caterpillar brand. Just wire into a 24v relay to completely shut down all power to the truck.

Who sells these parts?

thanks

lindsey97

very nice truck. looks great, wish mine had a cargo cover and troop seats. check all the axle oil levels, grease everything, clean the air filter if you something to do haha.

I also recommend installing a master keyed disconnect switch. it provides theft prevention, as well as keeping the curio kids from turning things on and draining your batteries.

bricksrkids

I ordered the keyed door handles and keyed battery disconnect today. That will give me something to do.

I have a question. I read the manual, but I don't understand these two issues.

1.) I have super rope holding down the cargo cover. The manual says it should be held on with individual pieces of rope. The super rope is cracking, but held fine running 60 MPH for 21 hours in 2 days at highway speeds.. So how should my cover be secured? Pictures would help.

2.) I want to roll up the sides. The manual is vague on this. How is this done? Again, pictures would help.

Thanks

Congrats on your new truck.

Here's some pictures of the cargo cover and rope configuration. Just roll up and use the existing straps to secure. Mines a continuous length of rope not individually tied. Hope that helps.

top2.jpg
top1.jpg

top3.jpg

AP

plumkrazy

Glad you had a smooth trip and welcome to OD Fever. I've used the following on my wife to have more than 1 vehicle at a time. I tell the "Boss", " Honey, let's get this MV that's for sale, and after "we" get it, I some how forget to sell the 1st MV that we bought." Of course this really works good if you suggest that she go shopping for some shoes or a purse before you ask for the new MV. Your mileage may vary, but the rewards are Great. Regards