• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My awesome new PLATINUM motor oil!!!! Now my engine is making the bad noises.

charlesmann

Could that have been caused initially by spraying the intake with starter fluid to build enough air to get it off the delivery trailer some months ago?

were you able to bore scope from the bottom after the pan was dropped to determine which cylinder failed?

charlesmann

Ooofffff....... is this that same truck? Uh oh.....
Unless he has 2 wreckers now, it’d be safe to assume, same truck.
could ether initiated those issues of a liner failing?
iv seen pistons melt down from using ether in excess ie: constantly to prime the fuel system.

WildernessJeep

Could that have been caused initially by spraying the intake with starter fluid to build enough air to get it off the delivery trailer some months ago?

were you able to bore scope from the bottom after the pan was dropped to determine which cylinder failed?

Could've been, but I doubt it. Cylinder 5 had trouble, all the others look good. I found a cummins guy that is going to swap that single hole in-frame for $800, including parts. Truck should be up and running in a week or so.

charlesmann

Could've been, but I doubt it. Cylinder 5 had trouble, all the others look good. I found a cummins guy that is going to swap that single hole in-frame for $800, including parts. Truck should be up and running in a week or so.
Thats not a bad price. Is he gonna give the rest of the eng a good look over just so you dont have an issue a few miles down the road?

You just fix on that one cyl or yank all of them and replace what is needed?

Csm Davis

Unless you need the truck back up and running ASAP I would go ahead and do full rebuild. It is so easy if you have it down that far to at least check out all the bores and if anything is wrong change it. Also to clean out everything fill with gasoline and then diesel it should come out very clean you can use a garden sprayer to wash down everything with diesel, recommend using a large drip pan.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
The price for the repair seems good. I have to agree about the teardown. At the very least you will have verified what is bad, and replace as needed. Money has been spent to get to this point, why spend bad money again if engine is sour.

At the very least You will know that what you have is an engine that will be in service as long as you want it to be. You have time now with fair weather. Funds may be tight, but at the minimum do the best job that you can. After all it is you, WildernessJeep that will live with the outcome. Your hands are already into the Heart of the Machine, and looks to be that you are capable of the recovery.

WildernessJeep

He's taken the other two heads off and says they are good to go. I looked in the other cylinders and they are smooth as a baby's butt. The destroyed cylinder (#5) looks really bad, but the block is good to go. He told me that he would replace as much as needed, but in his opinion nothing else needed changing. I trust the guy, he exclusively works on Cummins engines. Everything is nice and clean (no more platinum motor oil). I hear the arguments about reliability, but replacing perfectly good parts won't do anything to boost that. It's not about down time or money, it's the time I can personally spend wrenching on the truck.

Hopefully it will be back on the road soon!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks