• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My axle fell off on the way home!

dmetalmiki

You must be kiddin'

Where to start here... OK..I, go to buy a morriss minor advertised for £12000 (normally woth £200!)..I know NOTHING about morriss minors...(I know NOTHING about cars!..but I DO know about plant pots. SO..I arrive..to buy..OOOO! its blue! thats good!..it has wheels..and a steering wheel..SURLY its good to drive round the world VIA the saharah? via the DACA RALLY? MUST BE? surley? after all I have an electric iron that works fine I bought fom a car boot sale..I EXPECT that to work like new OBVIOUSLY.

What faults do (would I ) expect???? from a 50 year old car I know NOTHING at All about?!

I ahve a Mini MINOR 1000cc here here at the sale I could trailer a J.C.B (or 3!)
Home on my 1/16 ton garden compost trailer......(surly thats ok? I Mean IT WILL DO IT) ...wont it..!?..

Ill BITCH like **** IF anything at all out of the ordinary occurs (or "pops up")

(((scans thro' the nini minor handbook) hmmm don't say 'owt about NOT towing 98 tons..so thats ok then...)))

S..t..SOMETHING BUST!!! what the HECK is this??? I must (imediately find a forum to ask IF somethings WRONG with the <car> -<trailer>JCB< MINI!> ANYTHING but MY..(..........) sorry.folks just me..this GOT ME REALLY UPSET just reading!..im off 4 a beer..(or 6!)

NO ONE GOT HURT IN THE EXECUTION OF THIS RECOVERY..(oh..really?)

Truckoholic

I figured out pretty quick the shifter needed to be down, however with it all the way down on the floor it would just make a light grinding noise and not move, I crawled under and the "plunger" in the T-case seems to be going all the way in when the shifter is pushed down. When shifting it you have to jerk on it very hard but it does feel like it is shifting to all 3 positions and there is an air shifting noise between low and high. I'm starting to wonder if there is some sort of air locking differential or something that maybe locks in low and maybe should not be driven and turned sharp on the dry pavement like that?
Yeah, definitely if it is in 6 wheel drive, the axles are going to bind up when turning sharp on dry pavement, and it popped that dogbone thing off. But I agree with you. It definitely seems like there should be something more holding that thing on there. I've never been able to find an answer of how you fix it. Everyone on here is always just so quick to say "Use the search feature". But the problem is, when you do that, all you find are a bunch more threads where people are saying "Search is your friend" and no one will take a minute to answer your questions because they are too stuck on the idea that the information is allready out there, and you just need to go find it. Makes me crazy!

But yeah, I think that dogbone thing just has to be replaced. It seems to be somehow pressed on there, and once the rubber bushing or whatever it is inside wears out, or the thing pops off, I guess there is pretty much no way to put it back on there and have it stay.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1.) First we must say welcome to Steel Soldiers alabamafrog:beer: This is the greatest hobby and group of people you will interact with.

2.) You have embarked on a long journey down the Green Iron road. This journey will have bumps, misdirection, long nights and cold days. That being said at some time you will reach your destination. Take a deep breath and plan your route, learn from reading and resources and take one step at a time.

Bad cliche but "Rome was not built in a day" and Trucks from GL are a challenge. Please read the post below:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/general-gl-questions/38344-so-you-want-buy-cheap-truck-gl.html

All that said, I think in 6 months you will be presently suprised at how far you have come in your journey.

Best of Luck!!!!!

Yeah, definitely if it is in 6 wheel drive, the axles are going to bind up when turning sharp on dry pavement, and it popped that dogbone thing off. But I agree with you. It definitely seems like there should be something more holding that thing on there. I've never been able to find an answer of how you fix it. Everyone on here is always just so quick to say "Use the search feature". But the problem is, when you do that, all you find are a bunch more threads where people are saying "Search is your friend" and no one will take a minute to answer your questions because they are too stuck on the idea that the information is allready out there, and you just need to go find it. Makes me crazy!

But yeah, I think that dogbone thing just has to be replaced. It seems to be somehow pressed on there, and once the rubber bushing or whatever it is inside wears out, or the thing pops off, I guess there is pretty much no way to put it back on there and have it stay.
Don't go too CRAZY... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...ing/33684-torque-rod-dogbone-mod-removal.html
This is a deuce thread, but the 5 ton is mostly the same only bigger.

dmetalmiki

You must be kiddin'

Where to start here... OK..I, go to buy a morriss minor advertised for £12000 (normally woth £200!)..I know NOTHING about morriss minors...(I know NOTHING about cars!..but I DO know about plant pots. SO..I arrive..to buy..OOOO! its blue! thats good!..it has wheels..and a steering wheel..SURLY its good to drive round the world VIA the saharah? via the DACA RALLY? MUST BE? surley? after all I have an electric iron that works fine I bought fom a car boot sale..I EXPECT that to work like new OBVIOUSLY.

What faults do (would I ) expect???? from a 50 year old car I know NOTHING at All about?!

I ahve a Mini MINOR 1000cc here here at the sale I could trailer a J.C.B (or 3!)
Home on my 1/16 ton garden compost trailer......(surly thats ok? I Mean IT WILL DO IT) ...wont it..!?..

Ill BITCH like **** IF anything at all out of the ordinary occurs (or "pops up")

(((scans thro' the nini minor handbook) hmmm don't say 'owt about NOT towing 98 tons..so thats ok then...)))

S..t..SOMETHING BUST!!! what the HECK is this??? I must (imediately find a forum to ask IF somethings WRONG with the <car> -<trailer>JCB< MINI!> ANYTHING but MY..(..........) sorry.folks just me..this GOT ME REALLY UPSET just reading!..im off 4 a beer..(or 6!)

NO ONE GOT HURT IN THE EXECUTION OF THIS RECOVERY..(oh..really?)

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hauled it about 6 miles from the DRMO lot to my friends mechanics shop. I routinely haul 12-18K loads on that truck and trailer but I do admit that I was on my best behavior while hauling this 24K load.
Um, wow...........

What's the legal limit on that little Ford?

aua:deadhorse:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Safety is a big concern of steel soldiers members, along with the integrity of our members representing the hobby.

Please start by going to the forum list called technical manuals and find the appropriate TM for your vehicles. Good starting point

Last edited:

Bolkbich

If your transfer case on a m939 truck wont shift pump all the air pressure down below 10 psi by pumping the brakes there is an air lock on the transfer case shifter with no air its unlocked sometimes you have to start the engine and itll shift then as soon as you build some air youll feel it start to lock the metal button in the t case shifter is supposed to let the air off the lock

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The trailer empty ............

That has to be one of the most overloaded , unsafe posts yet .
He would be lucky to be in the top five of unsafe loads here. Maybe if he ripped off the front bumper and added a genset to the load he could get close. Or stacked some M105s and towed them with a lil SUV. Or daisy chained some M105s together a rolled down the highway.

Pretty scary looking though.....................

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
dmetalmiki said it better then I can with out getting banned, first time seeing a MV is no excuse, looking at to other torque rod in the pic, you can tell it is bad, a pre trip test would have told you that it was bad, this is why the -10 (OP manual ) is printed, TO BE READ, sorry this miss is your fault, the lack pre planning/pre preparedness on your end does not constitute a lot of sympathy on this end, yes we'll help you get it back together, You really need to thank GOD that someone DID NOT get hurt/killed in this operation, either the trailer loading or the 5t axle

Seeing this kind of thing is happening more and more aua :deadhorse:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please post pictures, not links to pics.

steelandcanvas

When I saw the post count, I had a feeling someone was getting an education on the finer points of towing and trailer capacities. At work I can't download photobucket and other sites. It will be a shock to me (as descibed by others) when I get home and am able to see the recovery firsthand. :roll:

indy4x4fab

Banned
O.K. if you guys don't ease up I dought this guy will ever reply again.

Alabamafrog, they way you recovered the trucks wasn't the best idea, or way. There's a lot of good members and people on here and one of the best I personally know is not to far from you, timntrucks. Next time you need a hand pm or call him he has 5 or 6, 5 tons, tow bars, a 5 ton wrecker, and all the espance to go with the trucks too. Don't let these guys get under your skin, at one point we all where on a learning curve with these trucks, just some of use older members have a hard time remembering those days. You will find these trucks are not as hard as you think to work on, and the tm is your best friend right now, here's the link to the tm's on here

m939s http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up-tms/79228-tms-939-series-trucks.html

m809s http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up-tms/77616-tms-809-series-5-ton.html

enjoy.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
O.K. if you guys don't ease up I dought this guy will ever reply again.

Alabamafrog, they way you recovered the trucks wasn't the best idea, or way. There's a lot of good members and people on here and one of the best I personally know is not to far from you, timntrucks. Next time you need a hand pm or call him he has 5 or 6, 5 tons, tow bars, a 5 ton wrecker, and all the espance to go with the trucks too. Don't let these guys get under your skin, at one point we all where on a learning curve with these trucks, just some of use older members have a hard time remembering those days. You will find these trucks are not as hard as you think to work on, and the tm is your best friend right now, here's the link to the tm's on here.
Actually timntrucks is a good 8 hours away from Huntsville. If he needs help or a tow bar he should contact wreckerman or twright.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks