• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My axle fell off on the way home!

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW, way to beat up on the new guy!

Alabamafrog, is that you from the ATF? If so, welcome aboard...and if you'd have swapped in that Cummins like I told you, you wouldn't have taken such a razzing about towing that 5-ton! Just kidding...

You'll find that these auctioned trucks are going to need quite a bit of TLC...being on the auction block, they likely weren't maintained well for the last years of service and probably sat for extended periods of time. Which of course allows for moisture to settle in places for long periods of time and cause all kinds of problems. It is best to assume the worst until you can take things apart and inspect them yourself; hopefully your fears are for nothing, but you won't know that until you actually disassemble parts & pieces and inspect for yourself.

Plan on replacing seals, filters, and fluids at the absolute minimum, as well as carefully inspecting your brakes all the way around.

Never assume these vehicles were well-kept; never assume things were put back together properly after supposed "rebuilds."

However, once you've gone through your trucks thoroughly, you'll most likely gain a lot of respect for what they're capable of and will admire their ruggedness.

Welcome to the Green Fever!

alabamafrog

Yea silverstate55 its me from ATF, I have learned a lot already. I guess the biggest thing I've learned is a lesson I should know already, never listen to government folks. Next I have to get time to read up on these things but with work the way it is that won't be for a while.
I understand why I am catching a lot of flack, apparently everyone is afraid that the government will decide to stop selling this stuff to the general public if enough bad things happen or get on the news.
Looks like the GL folks would be a little more cautious about telling folks like me that know nothing about this stuff that its okay and all good to just jump in and take off down the highway. They told me these things were meticulously maintained and in near perfect new condition they said even the ones that didn't run only had simple problems like dry rotted fuel pump diaphragms and such.
Anyways, hopefully I can move past my transgressions with the “recovery” and become a productive member of the “hobby”.
Sorry to get everyone so riled up on my first post.

Oh and by the way, I go Monday at 8am for another scheduled “recovery” from GL, this time it is a 31' Geni manlift that says it weighs 9K. Hopefully I wont get into trouble with this one too.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Government Liquidation, despite the name, IS NOT the Government. They are just like the McDonalds or Burger Kings on base - a third party business who operates on base.

There are a LOT of government folks on this board though - most in the form of active and retired military.

:beer:

KsM715

alabamafrog, Welcome to SS, looks like you'll fit in here just fine. You take the critism (sp?) well and didn't get all defensive and bent out of shape. We like that and most of us are willing to help and willing to learn from others.

Take a look under the dogbones on the rear and see if you see any signs of forklift damage. GL likes to try to move these around anyway they can and often run the forks into those dogbones and knock them loose.

zout

Alabamafrog
Actually it was kind of fun messin with ya all because its been a couple weeks since we picked on the last fella that did something like this - so we kind of owe ya a debt of gratitude. :deadhorse:

Beside's the hobby end of the sport - its more like YOUR well being was the brunt of all of it - especially when everyone wants you to be here for a spell in the membership.

Look forward to pics of your work if you post them - but keep in mind the GEORGIA RALLY 2012 is coming up fast so you better get on that chunk of metal so you can make it over here for it. (just don;t tow it again like that over here auaaua) to come to the rally.

trukhead

Welcome to the Hobby and you have come to a great site for advice and help.
Every time I drive My MV I think of myself as a representative of every one who owns and operates a MV so I ask myself how can I operate in a safe and respectful manner to all others on the road.
Maintenance and Safety are my first operating parameters.fat lady sings

Welcome to the hobby and the site!:beer:

dmetalmiki

OK A frog...

Good man. Have to say like others... YOU took the critizms, and Move on.That SHOWS character. WELCOME to the site...now YOU can be instrumental in keeping our "trucking"operations safe... I had posted (from your demise) (only) after reading and getting APPROPIATELY upset about the death (DEATH) of one of our members...(winch haul snap). "It" only took a MOMENT...so..you were fortunate...not lucky..fortunate. AND it (the accident) and your demise TOUGHT ME, to be even more carefull AND discerning..and truly I, THANK you and "...... " for that . I WILL be dilligent and give NO quarter to safety proceedures from hence forth. Please Let us all know of your future truck renovations maintenances and upkeeps. and KEEP the green hobby SAFE and ongoing. Again...welcome..

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Frog......I go up to Redstone quite a bit to preview and pick up stuff for myself and other folks.

There are diamonds in the rough in amongst all the beaters that Uncle sends out the door. Last week a HEMMT sold out of Fort Jackson for 29K......it had 2000 miles on it.

My last M915 had 11K on the clock and the paint was still on the top of the 5th wheel. I did have to do some work on the fuel and electric systemsn but for what I paid it was a steal.

I usually post when I am going to be at Redstone, maybe our paths will cross. I come in off 231 by the Wally-world.

Be careful out there and again.........welcome to the madness.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I joined the ranks of MV owners this week with my purchase of 2 trucks and 3 trailers. However on the way home with the new 5 ton flat bed I had several bad problems. The most notable are it is stuck in low range, will not go over 20 mph, when the shifter is shoved very hard it will go down like it is in high range but it just sits there and makes a light grinding noised when put in gear. So I had to drive it to my friends shop 6 miles away at 20mph.
Then when I turned left into his shop the front rear axle came loose and twisted up under the truck into the fuel tank and leaf springs. Also the batteries were dead and disconnected and the brakes were jacked open and an air line fitting was broken off. With 1200 miles I thought it would be like new and ready to drive around only needing fuel, boy was I wrong.
Is this normal???
I thought these things were near indestructible and I can't even make it 6 miles with it driving easy without it falling apart.
How can this be fixed?

The other truck I got has 59 miles and is a 5 ton dump truck, it does not run and who knows what I will find wrong with it.

Why do the axles fall off when you turn left too sharp?
What the heck would I have done if I was surrounded by zombies when that happened!
We have been involved in a desert war since that truck was new, it's painted tan, just sayin' :wink:

Besides that, Welcome to the addiction! I don't think you could find a better site than this for info on those trucks.

emr

Glad u are the type of guy who can take it, these truck require real men to operate them, we all learned somewhere, But Man U got a set :) You really :) deserved it though :) Good luck for sure, i have had or had both series, fyi U could have pulled that axle up put that dog bone back on strapped it in and drove a few hundred miles at least , Been there done that . These ARE tough indestructible trucks, u just need to get into all the things U can do to keep em going . But remember there age and how awesome they still are, We should last so long :) You will get to the point some on this site are at... fast Im sure, and some one someday will hear it from U and rightfully so, u are paying your dues, welcome :):):)

hilber

Welcome from Northeast GA. The guys at GL Huntsville were awesome to me on my recovery( picking up my truck) last year. Seems like they helped you out also. I hate you were kinda misled by someone at GL as to possible conditions of some of these trucks.

alabamafrog

I come in off 231 by the Wally-world.
I usually use that same gate most everyday going back and forth to work. Thats the gate I drove the trucks out of and then down across the bridge to my buddies shop at the foot of the mountain on 231. Next time you go by there you'll probably see my new trucks sitting there waiting on TLC. Let me know when you going to be there and maybe we can catch lunch, I'll buy if you'll share some knowledge while we eat.

Oh, and I promise no more short low speed hauls over 20K, at least not if I can help it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I usually use that same gate most everyday going back and forth to work. Thats the gate I drove the trucks out of and then down across the bridge to my buddies shop at the foot of the mountain on 231. Next time you go by there you'll probably see my new trucks sitting there waiting on TLC. Let me know when you going to be there and maybe we can catch lunch, I'll buy if you'll share some knowledge while we eat.

Oh, and I promise no more short low speed hauls over 20K, at least not if I can help it.
Was it the Redstone GL crew that shot you the line of BS about the truck's condition? Doesn't sound like them.

ClintA

First welcome to this world of info, It is amazing what some of these guys know about the MV's. I will stick up for you for your ford, sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do. You hauled it home and no one got hurt. Water under under the bridge, I would have backed it on if I had the choice. When you get it fixed, you will like the h*ll out of them, good looking trucks, enjoy!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks