• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My cucv flatbed project

jimmy-90

I am working on moving/replacing the fuel tank with a suburban type unit, not only will it give you more range, but puts it up out of the way in case you get T-Boned. What did you do with the 31 bed? Trade it for the steel?
Nah I didn't scrap or trade the contact body. Me and my father are useing it for a fuel shed to keep gas,diesel,and propane out away from the house. Also if I put a hydraulic ram on it I would have to take the back up lights off but I built it to where the hydraulic ram kit is still an option if I could afford it. Maby in the future sometime. The tires are 34x10.50-16 super swamper LTB's

Last edited:

designerRob

Nicely done Jim.[thumbzup] I was just going to offer an extra hand on your project but I see it's already complete. I'm wondering if it rides harder now because of less weight back there. Or maybe there isn't less weight? I like the task lighting you mounted behind the mesh too.

jimmy-90

Nicely done Jim.[thumbzup] I was just going to offer an extra hand on your project but I see it's already complete. I'm wondering if it rides harder now because of less weight back there. Or maybe there isn't less weight? I like the task lighting you mounted behind the mesh too.
LOL there is a little bit less weight back there now. When I started taking the SECM body off I was shocked at how much that thing weighed. It weighed at least twice as much as I thought it would. I can certianly see why the truck has such big spring packs in the rear since it is supposed to have a generaror,welder and a boat load of tools back there plus the weight of that body. I have to say with the swamper LTB's aired up to 50 or so psi the ride is so bouncy that it is not safe to go over 30 mph. I have the tires aired down to about 35 psi and they ride great at 55 mph with no bounce. The LTB's are rated for heavier loads than the other TSL's and say you can put something like 55 or 60 psi in them but 30 to 35 psi works great with the option to air them up depending on how heavy of a trailer I hook to it.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"A thing of beauty is a joy forever."

Seems you live by that one. Very well thought out. Any particular process in picking the yellow light or the rear mounting spots?

Love the work.

jimmy-90

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever."

Seems you live by that one. Very well thought out. Any particular process in picking the yellow light or the rear mounting spots?

Love the work.
I decided to use a set of tractor lights I got from the home depot for back up utility lights since they are inexpensive and really bright. I got the metal boxes that surround them from a place called American truck and trailer which is in Manassas for anyone in northern va. that is reading this. They are meant to enclose trailer tail lights but with a little alteration I was able to get them to work for my utility lights. The screen over them and the back window is made out of what they call expanded metal grating. I used a large piece of angle iron to make the brackets to mount them to the headache bar with and mounted them inbetween the upright bars just because it looked well balanced that way. Plus it frees up more space on top of the headache bar for a set of powerful off-road lights I may add latter on. As for the amber light I'd almost say that all cucv pickups could benifit from one of those just because of the limited top speed of these trucks. Some of the interstate roads out here are up to 75 mph now. That is also why I painted the yellow and black candy cane on the back. About the beacon cage I built that from scratch to protect the light from large awkard objects that might bang into it. I'd have to say that the beacon cage was one of the more challenging projects that I set out to accomplish. That thing was not easy to build. I got the idea to build it from a trash company out here that puts cages like that on some of their trash trucks. Lol I've allready hit an overheah tree limb with it going down the back country roads out here.

bigjmcconnell

Nice truck. I really like the way it looks. I think you would really like the underbody toolboxes. I had one on a small civy dump and man are they handy.

I guess everything really IS on youtube!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks