• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My CUCV is running just fine thank you!

CDN-CUCV

I thought I'd start a thread to talk about how reliable your rig has been for you. Seems like alot of break-down and mechanical/electrical issues to read here but nothing about how well these things perform when all is working fine.

Aside from a few bushings to replace in the near future, my M1009 has been (knocking on my wooden desk) running like a top. I've been putting on the miles, alot of them , using it as my daily and she just keeps pluggin' along just fine. Mind you, I have had my share of bugs to work out, but for a while now, she's been a strong runner. All winter, started on the first crank and leaking no fluids. I've had alot of old vehicles and a few Chev trucks but this thing has been one of the best and cheapest to run.

Just happy with what I've got and I'm sure there's a few of you guys out there that feel the same way ( I hope lol!)

91W350

My M1008 has been super since I picked it up last year. Lately it has been getting tested, my 17 year old has been driving.

My M1009 has been great as well and this latest M1009 is smoking the other two on mileage. Life has been good, I had to change glow plugs on the M1008 and the first M1009 when I firt got them. I also had to put a lift pump on the first M1009. Mechanically, this Utah version of the M1009 seems extremely solid. I have a front end squeak that goes away when you touch the brake pedal, I suspect a caliper is hanging a little. Probably rusty and not letting the piston float as freely as it should.

I am very happy with all three.... Glen

Sgt Hulka

M1009s... After sitting for 10 years, I drove one of mine from Butte Montana home to San Francisco. Rotting tires, bad gps and all... Since appropriate service and conversion to 12v, I drive it everyday and put it to work in the mountains. My other one is a rusty one with a zillion miles on it (200K+). It runs smoother than the first and it's driven daily as well.

Oldsouthernboy

as I correct 24 or so years of abuse wear and tear my M1009 runs better every day I drive it, When I first got it ran rough shifted rough, braked rough. Now new brakes, rebuilt front end, and a few other things, runs like a champ. Runs like a scalded rat, about 20 mpg. I am very happy with mine I plan on keeping it for a long time.

Cucvnut

aside from a bent drive shaft that was fixed asap when i got it last year i love my M1008 its a great truck has no issues and its tan :)

pidgeon

I've owned my m1009 for 2 months. It's my daily driver. I wanted a freeway speed diesel that was able to go 70 mph with a MPG of over 20 and no computer cruft in the engine compartment. Oh and it needed to have parts availability and no crazy things under the hood. The m1009 fit that bill and I'm very happy with her (this coming from a Ford girl).

There are mostly defered maintenance issues that I've been dealing with that mostly involve either non-critical systems (speedo cable snapped) or easy to rectify issues (bad battery cable). It hasn't left me stranded yet, and even if it did, this is why I carry spare parts, tools and duct tape. As I repair these mostly minor issues, she runs better and better. I really wouldn't trade it for much (maybe another m1009).

mistaken1

My M1009 was marked "Mississippi County Sheriff 3/4". It had been serviced in the fall of 2007 (based on what was written on everything including the air filter). According to the mileage written on the fuel filter it had about 1200 miles put on it from the fall of 2007 until I bought it at the end of 2009.

So far so good. The biggest problem I have had is the rear window crank breaking. Most of my money has gone into replacing rotted body rubber (some had been replaced, some had not) that and radios/antennas.

The most cruel and inhumane thing one can do to a mechanical device is to not use it for long periods of time.

Last edited:

Blood_of_Tyrants

Bought an M1009 from GSA that had been cannibalized after it broke down. Luckily I had all the parts that were missing. After I replaced the missing parts and troubleshot the breakdown problem to a bad fuel pump, the engine started right up. After it blew out some carbon buildup in the cylinder heads, it runs great. No smoke, no problems, runs like a top. Minor electrical problems (loose connections, corroded terminals) but nothing bad. Just need to get the fuel gauge working properly.

Last edited:

topgun217

After doing "normal" service to mine and a few p/m's to 319, my 1009 has been running great! Sure I had the "normal" issues like everyone here and I learned alot, that's part of the FUN of owning history. Would I trade her or sell her? NO ! My M1009 has a name, my son calls her "the mistress" ! We both luv the 1009 but not too sure about the wife, she has only went for a ride once. Oh well!

hudson's74

My 1028 a has been a good buy I drive it to work everyday 20 miles one way just regular issues steering hoses rebuild both alts thats about it has been a great truck I have put about 6000 miles since december.

Milbikes

Now this is a nice thread! Maybe some folks just researching these trucks before buying will be more willing to buy one now! That could be a good thing...or not!

mtjbrown

The only problem I have is everybody bugging everywhere I go wanting to buy it!!!!:-D Guess that is a good problem to have, getting it more and more the way I want it.

Crash_AF

I have put 13k miles on my 1009 since I finished building it. Short history, I bought a 1009 missing the powertrain from Ebay and pair of residue 1009s from Ft Carson GL. Made one truck out of the three. I finished the truck in late June of last year and have done no major maintenance to it since then. Here's the link to the thread where I built it:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/21064-lives.html

It averages around 20 MPG if I see any highway (70-75MPH) use, but around 24 in town only.

Currently it needs an annual service and the lower oil cooler hose just started leaking last week. Oh, and the throttle shaft seals are leaking pretty good too. I have the replacement pump, I just haven't finished building my 1008 to replace it in the driving rotation. Got it running today and I'll be transferring DD duties to it while the 1009 is getting tightened back up.

I wouldn't hesitate to jump in it and drive it cross country anytime, even with the leaks.

Later,
Joe

SPECIALTYLC

I bought my 1008 last summer from a fire dept, which came from the forest service before that. Had 52,000 miles and nothing was altererd from stock. Replaced Batteries, one alt and trans shift vacuum valve, one glow plug. Mounted 10 ft snow plow. Runs like a top. And I even drive it at 60mph without fear its going to self destruct.

skark_burmer

I bought a 1028, sold it to a buddy who eventually changed the fluids, put on some 37's and a winch and hasnt done anything else. Runs like a top and he daily drives it too when not wheeling it.

I bought a 1009, changed the glow plugs, fuel filter and fluids and then it was sold to another buddy and driven to Texas. The trans shifts a little hard (and hasnt been troubleshot for old vacuum lines and such), but otherwise she hasnt missed a beat. She is now his daily driver and get about 24 mpg, uncorrected, with 33" tires.

The 1009 i kept needed a new set of vacuum lines to the trans ($4), rear brake shoes ($12) and air in the tires. Runs perfectly.

The 1008 i have gets beat down off road like you wouldnt believe. I absolutely do not care about the condition of this vehicle and drive it accordingly. I bought it for the axles, so i have been trying to accelerate its death so i can use them for my 1009. I just cant bring myself to part out a running vehicle. I had hoped to do the axle swap a few months ago... but so far she just wont go down.
I put on a set of 37's, removed the spare from under the bed and drive it as-is.
So far the work it has needed:
New driveshaft. GovLiq folded the one it had with their Xtreme Forklifting Skillz, so upon delivery i had to get a new one.
New fuel filter. I dump in old motor oil, trans fluid, veggie oil and whatever else i have that is 'oil like' so it gets clogged from time to time. Go figure.
I checked the oil, it has some so no need to change it.
I stripped out the pitman arm and sheared off the bolt holding it on. You should have seen the ruts! I think it was destroyed as my off road motto is "Never lift"
After i welded the steering box back to the frame it leaks a little. Who uses bolts?
The transfer case housing is cracked and leaking. This is what happens when you balance the entire weight of a cucv on a 208 aluminum transfer case. I just add ATF from time to time. Some JB Weld will be applied to stop the leak someday, no need for more expensive repairs until it falls off.
I had to replace some fuses. Apparently when you submerge the fuse block it causes electrical issues. 3 new fuses, some electrical contact cleaner and she is right as rain! A side benefit of driving like that, you steam clean your pistons.
Never lift!

I think the old adage is correct;
When people are mad they complain. A lot.
When people are pleased, they don't complain.

justinwregier

1900 mile round trip from Napoleon OH to Newton KS last month
70 mph average, no problems
:deadhorse:

my wife drives it daily and loves it because its "big and rumbly"

The M1009 is healthy now but it did take some initial $$$ to get there on the one I bought

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks