• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first Deuce.

CrwM35A2

Hello guys I am in the process of buying a 1968 kaiser duece. It would not stay running at first and with the help of your site I traced it to air in the ip got that resolved last night and she runs like a dream. That whisler turbo sure can make you grin lol. This truck sat without running for two years so once I had it running I let it idle for about an hour before giving throttle also added some new motor oil to the fuel mix to lubricate the engine thoroughly. It has no brakes but I'm sure the master cylinder is dry will mess with that today sometime. The problem that I have no clue as to where to start is the electrical no lights will come on at all. Not even dash lights. Where should I start the search. Thanks in advance.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440082356.091822.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1440082389.628667.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1440082423.331938.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1440082440.281590.jpg

m38inmaine

I would start with the main light switch, they have an internal circuit breaker that may be bad. Also check the harness connector to make sure you have power to the switch.

tommys2patrick

Looks like it might have been set up for logging. I would start at the circuit breakers and fuses. Can you tell if the crane is powered by a PTO? If you have not done so already, the Technical Manuals (TM) are located on this site and elsewhere for free. They are gold when it comes to diagnosing and fixing things that don't work or need servicing.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, you are ambitious! I would have seen her only as a parts doner
image.jpg

Welcome to a journey that will change your life!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS here is a couple links for the wiring
Peter Bog's CAD deuce schematic!

M35 Wire Number Chart

And when you get to the brakes you might as well plan on going through the whole system , pull the wheels and drums for inspection/repair. this thread will help when it comes time to bleed them out
Deuce Power Bleeder R4x4 Style

These threads are all from the stickies in the deuce forum . A lot of information in the stickies , it's a good idea to read most of them when you have time .

Tm's can be downloaded for free here ;
[h=1]TM's for the Deuce[/h]

Last edited:

CrwM35A2

My first Duece.

Yeah it's for sure a fixer upper but it has potential this truck has been used as a dump truck, tractor truck, and now sits with a crane on it which I'm trying to talk the guy into taking it off. The body doesn't need much only has a couple of rust spots that need repair the rest is just surface. The crane is powered by its own 4 cylinder Diesel engine with direct drive hydraulic pump so he didn't butcher the pto pump lines thank god lol. It looks a lot better in person. Also I am working out a deal with a friend of mine that has two deuces one needs an engine and the other had a tree fall on the cab. Trying to get him to let me swap out the engine for him and take the other for parts to fix mine mainly wanting the bed. I have really enjoyed working on this thing so far and can't wait to be able to take it out once I get it finished.

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the club, looks like a lot of work ahead but you'll have thorough knowledge of the deuce by the time your done!

dmetalmiki

Now that is a brave quest..welcome to the site and the hobby. By the time you finish that project you will be well acquainted to the deuce family. Pictures of your progress and reports would be good...You do seem to have the necessary enthusiasm for it though, good luck.

CrwM35A2

Well I got to go mess with it some more today and I got the brakes working. It definitely doesn't stop on a dime but it stops and it has a good hard pedal I am still going to remove the tires and check/fix what needs to be repaired. As far as the electrical it is shot I'm getting power to a few places but it has naked wires everywhere. So guess I need to replace the wiring. Should I try to find a new harness or just make my own. Also spoke to a friend of mine and he has already found me a bed, hard top, and tires so looks like it won't take long to get this beast together. Thanks everyone for the kind words this is definitely a great place to get info. I will make this my build thread and post pictures once I really get started on it because I still have to get it home.

CrwM35A2

My first Duece.

Cool good to know I will have someone to cruise around with. If you need some help let me know I will be busy this weekend but next week I will more than likely be down that way as mine is just below bogaloosa.

roalcoal

OK cool well there is a couple of us here in poplarville . CSM Davis is in Hattiesburg and has a bunch of assorted parts for different trucks. He may be able to help you if you need parts

CrwM35A2

Originally I wanted to keep the crane but when I pulled the truck out of the woods I noticed that it was missing the hoist hydraulic winch so it changed my mind on it after pricing a new one.