• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first Deuce.

CrwM35A2

My first Duece.

Went and visited with CSMDavis yesterday and he gave me some great ideas of what I can do with this beast. Hope to get it over there next week and possibly get started on it. I will update the thread as I go along. Should be a fun project for sure.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440223652.572837.jpg
This is what I'm shooting for.

Last edited:

CrwM35A2

Ok guys I have been thinking hard about what I want to do to this truck. After spending time with CSMDavis I realized 1 main problem that I hadn't thought of with a truck this size. It is not designed for someone of my size to be comfortable in it. I am 6'7" tall so I take up a lot of room in that small cab lol. This led me to decide on making the truck a crew cab. After searching around I have found some pretty nice crewed dueces. Most of them are bobbed though I don't want to do that. Also after researching on here I will more than likely go with 5 ton axles to swap to full air brakes. Being as I have to service everything anyway why not upgrade. It was also suggested to me by CSMDavis to relocate the axles farther back and a little farther apart to help with ride quality and allow for more tire options. The electrical wiring on the truck is also shot so I will be replacing all of it and going full LED lights. Lastly I really don't want to shorten the bed to do the crew cab so I was thinking of extending the frame to allow the full size bed to still fit onto it.

What do you guys think? Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. I want this truck to look like it rolled off the line when I'm done. My goal is to have a one of a kind everyday driver built from a duece that I can drive comfortably.

CrwM35A2

So today I got to go work on my truck and was able to get the brakes working properly and now feel good about driving it home. Probably drive it home by Friday don't know when I'll get to start on it but at least it's getting closer. Can't wait to get going on it!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ok guys I have been thinking hard about what I want to do to this truck. After spending time with CSMDavis I realized 1 main problem that I hadn't thought of with a truck this size. It is not designed for someone of my size to be comfortable in it. I am 6'7" tall so I take up a lot of room in that small cab lol. This led me to decide on making the truck a crew cab. After searching around I have found some pretty nice crewed dueces. Most of them are bobbed though I don't want to do that. Also after researching on here I will more than likely go with 5 ton axles to swap to full air brakes. Being as I have to service everything anyway why not upgrade. It was also suggested to me by CSMDavis to relocate the axles farther back and a little farther apart to help with ride quality and allow for more tire options. The electrical wiring on the truck is also shot so I will be replacing all of it and going full LED lights. Lastly I really don't want to shorten the bed to do the crew cab so I was thinking of extending the frame to allow the full size bed to still fit onto it.

What do you guys think? Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. I want this truck to look like it rolled off the line when I'm done. My goal is to have a one of a kind everyday driver built from a duece that I can drive comfortably.
You will be time and effort ahead if you just get a 5ton, crew cab it, and put a deuce bed on there.

CrwM35A2

I feel you there and I may not go with the 5 ton axles I was just keeping it in mind because I have read a lot about the duece brakes and wanted to rid myself of some problems. I am also going to get a 5 ton tractor and make it a crew cab. Or at least extend the cab some to allow me to mount the seats farther back.

CrwM35A2

Ok guys today is the day. I'm leaving soon to go get my deuce and drive her home. What are some things beside tools that I need to have in my support vehicle before I go down to get her. I'm almost positive the trip will be uneventful but you know how it goes if you don't prepare for problems they will sneak up and bite you. All fluids are good, fuel tank has been flushed of water, fuel filters changed and brake master cylinder bled and filled but I will check that again before I take off. Am I missing anything?

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bring tools. I had a couple fuel lines blow when I brought my deuce home for the first time. I'd be prepared for that. Duck tape is a must.

CrwM35A2

Well I made it about 20 miles and the engine caught on fire. I'm pretty sure diesel was going into the crank case and it finally overflowed and hit the turbo. Then I'm sure y'all know the rest. Luckily I have went through some firefighting classes and didn't panic and remembered that I had a fire extinguisher in my truck following me. Got the fire out before it caused any damage. Jeff is on his way to tow me now. Been one heck of a day!!

CrwM35A2

My first Duece.

Ok I have been searching and can't find it anywhere. Why would my deuce be pouring diesel from the passenger side top of the engine. Its almost dead in the middle but I can't see exactly where it is coming from, almost looks like it's coming from the head. My oil level is a little high but not to the point of overflowing. As soon as I turn the switch on diesel starts pouring.