• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my first gl win!!

jkelly66

Hey another thing guys, could I get in trouble for not having a CDL driving this? If you live in GA that would be helpful too. I know if you register a tractor for farm use and operate within 150 miles you can skip the CDL. Wonder about personal use. Does the truck have airbrakes? Tell me please...
I would say yes, as far as I know anything above 25,000 GVW requires a CDL.
Welcome to our green sickness BTW from a neighbor not to far. And congratulations on a nice win.

jollyroger

The CDL is a trickey question to answer and also up for interpretation by LEO's.

It has Air over hydraulic brakes. It is not a full air brake system.

The GVW being over 26,001 lbs. is the issue that brings the most pro and con debate. Anything 26,001 lbs and over GVW is supposed to require a CDL except........ There are exceptions to this rule and they vary from state to state. Farm trucks are usually associated with MOST of the exceptions. There are states that have exceptions for non commercial vehicles. House Cars and motorhomes of less than 40 feet in length can have full air brake and GVW over 26,001 lbs and don't require CDL in any state as far as I know.

Do some checking around locally and with the state you are in.

Chief_919

The CDL is a trickey question to answer and also up for interpretation by LEO's.

It has Air over hydraulic brakes. It is not a full air brake system.

The GVW being over 26,001 lbs. is the issue that brings the most pro and con debate. Anything 26,001 lbs and over GVW is supposed to require a CDL except........ There are exceptions to this rule and they vary from state to state. Farm trucks are usually associated with MOST of the exceptions. There are states that have exceptions for non commercial vehicles. House Cars and motorhomes of less than 40 feet in length can have full air brake and GVW over 26,001 lbs and don't require CDL in any state as far as I know.

Do some checking around locally and with the state you are in.

Yep-definitly do some asking. But generally an 818 will require a class A license, unless you meet the criteria for an exemption, that will vary state by state. So even if you meet the exemption criteria, you will find yourself arguing the point to the officers if they question you.

Note that in most sates you can get a non-CDL class A license, and as long as you don't use the truck for commerce the regular class A is what you need. But once again, this varies state by state.

sterlun

Yeah I know the limit is 26000lbs. And I found the exemption for farm use. Also an exemption for recreational vehicle. Has to be registered as such. Some rich boys around here have big tractor trailers with custom living quarters they pull their silly race cars with and they skip the CDL with this rec vehicle thing.

Jollyroger is sooo right about the LEO interpretation. I've heard lots of instances where they write tickets when they had no grounds and it varies state to state, although it shouldn't cuz CDL trucks come under Fed law. They don't care. Just write the ticket and let a wasted day at court settle it.

I'd like to use this truck and a flatbed to pull similar vehicles home myself. If Chief is right about the class A non-cdl that could be a good route for me.

Also, in GA, the farm exemption has a limit of 150 air miles from the "farm". I grew a garden this year. Maybe that'll be enough.:D

sterlun

I would say yes, as far as I know anything above 25,000 GVW requires a CDL.
Welcome to our green sickness BTW from a neighbor not to far. And congratulations on a nice win.
Hey thanks. You guys keep complimenting the truck and that helps me feel like it was worth the price.

If you really are "in the middle of nowhere in N. GA", then we must be next door neighbors cuz that's exactly where I am...

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have always wanted to get a 5 ton and since my Deuce project is finishing up in the next week or so I started looking at trucks AND I called the state DOT (ND) I ran into exactly the same 26K MAGIC NUMBER, I have not looked into it any further yet, but ton the other hand maybe this is the reason I am destined to own either a Unimog or a Pinz instead? It would take a lot less rom up in my shop?? Good luck with you quest, I still think 5 tons are the coolest!

Karl

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as my comment on tire size being TO BIG for a Deuce I apologize will be the first to admit my mistake, I think the size of the 5 ton truck they were on threw me off a bit. Being corrected on this I learned a lot and they not only fit but look might nice on a Deuce! Thanks all and I think I need tire like THAT on MY Deuce!
Karl

NateP

Few things I found here in Wisconsin, not sure what your state requires but im sure there is probably something similar.

When do I need a Wisconsin CDL instead of my regular Wisconsin Drivers License?
A Wisconsin CDL is required if you operate any of the following CMV's . . .
1. A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.
2. A vehicle towing a unit with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs.
3. A vehicle used to . . .(a.) carry 15 or more passengers (excluding the driver), or (b.) carry (15) or less people (including the driver) when carrying children to or from school and home regularly for compensation.
4. A vehicle carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding.

Ok, with that said.

Are there any exemptions to being required to have Wisconsin CDL?
Yes, a few . . .
1. Active Duty Military . . . with military licenses operating military vehicles.
2. Firefighters . . . meeting approved training standards and operating authorized emergency vehicles.
3. Farmers . . . in certain cases.
4. Individuals ....operating motor homes or other vehicles used exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members, for non business purposes.

Also, a CLASS A . . . allows you to operate vehicles which tow trailers or other vehicles with a GVWR over 10,000 pounds. A Class "A" license also allows you to operate Class B and C vehicles.

CLASS B . . . allows you to operate single vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 lbs or more OR a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more, towing trailers/vehicles rated at 10,000 pounds GVWR or less. A Class "B" license also allows you to operate Class C vehicles.

I dont think anyone needs a Class A for recreational use, unless you plan to run a business or use it for business purposes in which case you would already have/need a CDL anyway. In most cases if your state requires you to obtain a CDL, a Class B is more than adequate.

sterlun

OK I think I have the GA rundown now. Some of you guys have different stuff going on for CDL exemptions in your respective states. There's a farm exemption , but it's only a seasonal permit in GA to be used 180 days out of the year, can only be operated within 150 air miles of the farm, and I think you have to show tax filings with those special 10-whatever farm filings. In other words, you have to really sell the corn.

Anything over 26000lbs GVWR requires CDL. Class B for the XM818. If you hook a trailer to it that's rated over 10000lbs then it becomes Class A. If a rig has air brakes you have to have air brake endorsements. I have no idea where that puts the XM818 being the truck has air over hydraulic brakes. That's the law. UNless....

You're a fireman, military personnel, or back to the farmer again. These folks are required to have, for example, a Class A Non-CDL. However the GA DDS does not imply that this license is available to these alone. I can get the Class A Non-CDL's with just a written exam, no driving test, no endorsements are required, and for only $35 for 10 years. Just CANNOT drive commercially or for profit whatsoever. Big trouble then.

So that's the proposed solution to my XM818. Gonna go take the test next week, Lord willing. Wish me luck...fat lady sings

Thanks, Chief, for the suggestion.

Last edited:

jollyroger

It should be that you have to file a schedule-F on your federal tax returns to qualify for farm status. That's what I have to do to get my farm license plates. There is other paperwork at the county level but the schedule-F is the big deal.

I typically would not run the farm plates even though that's what I do for a living because of all the hoops I gotta jump through and restrictions it puts on driving the truck like the mileage restrictions but it sure saves me a ton of time when I take the cattle to market and I don't have to stop at the port of entry within the state. So therefore I would not recomend the farm plates unless you REALLY have to have them.

I honestly don't pay attention to the mileage restriction as it is a rediculous requirement. There are cattle markets that I attend that are more than 110 miles away from the farm. 110 miles in radius from the farm is our restriction. If the price is low I'm going to that sale barn to buy. If the price is high I'm going there to sell. That's just commerce and the mileage restriction limits that commerce.

sterlun

It should be that you have to file a schedule-F on your federal tax returns to qualify for farm status. That's what I have to do to get my farm license plates. There is other paperwork at the county level but the schedule-F is the big deal.

I typically would not run the farm plates even though that's what I do for a living because of all the hoops I gotta jump through and restrictions it puts on driving the truck like the mileage restrictions but it sure saves me a ton of time when I take the cattle to market and I don't have to stop at the port of entry within the state. So therefore I would not recomend the farm plates unless you REALLY have to have them.

I honestly don't pay attention to the mileage restriction as it is a rediculous requirement. There are cattle markets that I attend that are more than 110 miles away from the farm. 110 miles in radius from the farm is our restriction. If the price is low I'm going to that sale barn to buy. If the price is high I'm going there to sell. That's just commerce and the mileage restriction limits that commerce.
That's right, Rog it was a schedule F they require. I couldn't remember the jargon.

I agree the mileage limit is sorry. Here, the 150 mile radius is "air" miles. So how does a trooper write you for a violation on that. He doesn't know how far it is as the crow flies. Silly. And with the 180 day limit here I doubt farmers in GA even bother with it. Farmers I know stay busy doing something year round.

I don't know much about cattle but I'd say you haul them year round. I know I drink milk and eat beef all year.:?

jollyroger

Yep. It's a year around operation. Here we don't have the seasonal 180 day limit. But we are so spread out that 110 miles from the farm is a joke.

Hay can be short down South from me because they got a drouth going on but up North they could have gotten rain and the hay is cheaper. Where do you think I'm gonna go to buy hay? And if I gotta drive more that 110 miles to save thousands of dollars I'm gonna do that. I'm just sayin'.

I have asked about making a legislative change to the statutes but the answer is that it is really not enforced so why bother. I get that but I don't want to be where the enforcement starts.aua

sterlun

AAAAAAAHHHH!!! I went to GA DDS to get my Non-Commercial class A. They won't give me one. They said it is exclusively for firemen, military personnel, and farmers. The stupid website does not say anything about exclusively but... So anyway they made me take the exams for CDL class A general knowledge, combination vehicle test, and air brake endorsement test. Air over hydraulic does require air brake endorsements. I passed everything and got my cdl learner's permit but I still have to take my driving test in Dalton. Geez.

Looks like I'm gonna try to slip my XM818 home on the sly.:driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks