• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first heavy truck xm215

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hybrid G749

Did you get pics of you and pop in the hybrid? Bring the camera with you when you check out that other bed. If you're buying there's still that M215 East of you and it could be worth the trip.

We're going to hit a truck with scotch guard pads and let the kids, nieces, grandmothers go after it with rollers and paint brushes. The scratch pads chew off enough surface that the paint can grab on and a wipe down with reducer after a scuff gets the oils off. We'll use tack cloths to get the dust off and hit it with paint.....until we find time to restore. We are just trying to preserve body panels and aren't building a show truck ....yet.....so we won't even do a lot of body work.

What kind 'finish' look have you got for your truck? Camo? OD?,,, light green with big white stars?

If you give it a quick scuff, then preserve it with a quick paint job......it may turn out just right.

The G749 Guru's that I met on this site, that don't seem to chime in anymore, said, "Be careful not to over restore".

:grd:

Attachments

Stan Leschert

Only Super Dave has "Better than Original" trucks. M1010 Dough Boy is getting close, and now has a pretty good fleet too!

Make the truck mechanically right, and put a 10 foot splash job on it ... it looks good from 10 feet!

That way you won't be afraid to have kids crawl into it for photos, and Vets bend your ear off for hours ... (I remember when we rode in a truck like that ...)

If you make it too perfect, you will be afraid to properly display it, and you are going to miss out on the absolute BEST MV moments.
Trust me, I know.

Make sure that you install a battery cut off switch before letting the hordes climb in, and chock the wheels.
You can have some real fun with that truck, for relatively small money.

Last edited:

tburk49760

Took the old girl... Beast... Umm... Truck for a joy ride today and broke the firewall where the hydraulic clutch master cylinder attaches.., Aaargh. Had to shift the no synchro trans with no clutch like a real truck driver... Not hard to fix tho.

tburk49760

Olga has been doing well, drive her now and then, still hasn't painted herself... My parts truck went to the scrap yard, major bummer. I nearly got all I needed from it. Woulda been cool to get the front and one rear axle and the tcase to build a fun toy, cause I need another project...

tburk49760

Tested her cold weather starting abilities today and she fired right up! Even had oil pressure almost instantly! Not bad for straight 30wt and 18 degrees! After a few stops, the rear axle locked up and would gradually release after a bit of forth and backness... Happened a few times but not every time? Pretty sure I replaced the wheel cylinders on at least one side. Prolly aught to replace the rubber lines in case there is a one way valve type flaw... They are 59 years old. More money!

SturmTyger380

Geeze...59 year old rubber is got to be getting hard and in the cold weather too. When I get mine to the point of moving on it's own I plan on taking the rubber lines down to a local company that makes hydraulic lines. Might not be authentic but will be safer.

Alan

n1bnc

I just read this whole thread from end to present and what an awesome recovery. I have a soft spot for these trucks and love to see the different drivetrains and solutions to problems I have had when I had these in the stable years ago.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeep truck MV

The boys that don't check the Early Deuce Forum are going to be real sad they missed this. You're hiding things and not telling us what you're doing so you may need to get that girl in "members rides" or "MV spotted".

Tell me what you know about it? Did it serve? I have access to one that is similar but but but but.....mines not as big as yours. I got da short bus.

For family purposes you nailed it man.

I hunted for pictures of extended version of the jeep but only found these.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news/2013/163_1312_1957_forward_control_jeep_truck_trend_history/

Here's the one that still sits in the bush because someone wants lotsa money.

Attachments

tburk49760

The two door versions aren't too difficult to find., I've owned about 6 different ones. The m677 crew cab is a rare beast, around 27 left on the planet... Mine came with the wrong motor so I planted a jeep 360 in it! Goes like stink! 'Twas made for the marine corps, no idea where it served though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks