• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first M923a1 - no title

sniperboy

I just bought my first 5 ton. When I picked it up I was told that the owner was refusing to furnish the Govt title (I think it's a SF97) because he didn't want to pay the $175.00 to file it. The guy has about 10 of the 5ton trucks. Is there a way for me to get the title from the Govt ?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No there is not. You are going to have a heck of a time getting a title if it is even possible.

The problem is the age of the truck. Older truck have ways to be titled.

I would ask for your money back.

You just bought a paper weight.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are many threads talking about this.

Depending on the state if he has that many trucks for sale he is considered a dealer and is required to have a title for all vehicles.

sniperboy

I was hoping you wouldn't say that. The guy selling them has sold 6 in 3 weeks. He told me he is going to hold all the money and not pay the owner until he agrees to furnish the titles. If he still won't agree he will give the money back to us. They still had 10 trucks at their site so they told the owner to come and get them unless he agrees to get titles. I love the truck and hope I don't have to give it back. Been looking for one for awhile.

KsM715

Someone is selling trucks for someone else? You bought a truck from a 3rd party without a title? Did you atleast get a signed and noterized bill of sale?

Boatcarpenter

Well, we know this situation is going to go downhill fast right into the septic tank!!
Then the Oh poor me, I got screwed will start. And then............., we've heard it before.

Good luck sniperboy,
BC

197thhhc

Man, You are dancing in a minefield. You need to return the truck and get your money back. This whole deal is kind of stinky. There are other TITLED trucks out there. Good luck I really hope you can get a refund.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sniper, I just had the same issue. Lazy seller did not want to do the title work. Solution: I did it for him. Have him apply for the SF97 (reimburse him to motivate him), then take the SF97 and a title app VTR130 and title only app VTR131, fill it out for him, and apply for title on his behalf. Costs about $58.00. Then when the title arrives at his place, go get it and do the title work for yourself. This is cheaper than the bonded title route, which is about $400.

I know this is crap, but you really need a good title, especally on a late model valuable truck like yours.

Get a refund fast, in most states it is illegal to sell a motor vehicle without a title, this varys state to state and depends on age. Usually if you sell more than five vehicles a year ( In PA ) you are a dealer and have restrictions on your dealings. :mad:

motorolanut

Get a refund immediately!

99.9% of all the states titling loopholes have been closed by revisions to state laws. This has put titling services out of business.

Ask yourself one question: Do you really want a truck YOU CANNOT EVER DRIVE AND CANNOT SELL!

GET A REFUND NOW! I MEAN TODAY! :grd:

Otherwise this topic is like :deadhorse:

bonshawman

Not only get a refund but consider reporting him to your State DMV because he is most likely violating statutes and regulations. Also your state consumer protection/fraud department.

Never, EVER, EVER buy a vehicle without a title in hand, (unless it from someone like GL where you can obtain one) and checking the recorded VIN on the title against the VIN on the vehicle. There are honest mistakes, and then there are others.

GOOD LUCK!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The original purchaser is the one that needs to get the SF-97 and title. Without his cooperation you are going to have a difficult time getting one yourself.

You will more than likely have to spend your own money doing it, but try to get the OP to help you.

If he doesn't want to help, then run........

Tanner

If SS mods can post a big 'banner ad' on the website regarding the content of post comments, then it might be a good idea to post a rolling banner - AT TOP OF PAGE - in large font that states:

DON'T BUY A TRUCK WITHOUT A TITLE - WALK AWAY FROM THE SALE!!

'Tanner'

sniperboy

Hey everyone - thanks for all the replys, especially cold warrior. Sorry for the late reply on this but I don't get a chance to surf much. I did go back to the place where I bought the truck and talked to them. There customer (who lives in Dallas) buys alot of surplus stuff. He has at least 300 vehicles. They would only give me his last name (JACKSON) for reasons that I'll explain later. The day before I bought my truck a guy bought 5 and the day after another bought 1 truck. That's 7 trucks without titles. The place where I bought from told me that at first they were getting paperwork pretty fast from jackson but as the year went on he got slower and slower. He is just a bad business man! Here is what we are doing : The Auction House (where I bought mine) is refusing to pay him for the 7 trucks until he gives us the paperwork. We even suggested that we were willing to do the paperwork for him. After 60 days and we still don't get our titles the auction house is going to take him to court (at their cost). They want to be the single point of contact after-all it is their reputation that will suffer along with our money. I hate to give up the truck because everything is in near perfect shape and I paid less than 6K for it.

KsM715

As long as the sellers (the auction house) is persistand and willing to do the paperwork hassle and take care of the $$ for all the problems then I'd say your relatively ok with your purchase.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope all works out well for you, but I will NEVER understand why someone would buy a vehicle without a title? Do people get caught up in the moment? Is the appeal of an MV that strong to make people put their heads up their butts before a purchase? I just don't get it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks