• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first oil change...

ryker725

What a rude awakening. My procedure...

1. Let truck sit for 15 minutes to let the filters drain out.

2. Drain the rear plug first.

3. Drain the front plug.

4. Remove the front liquid locked filter cartridge and make a big mess on the driveway.

5. Repeat step 4 and double the mess.

6. Hollar at the wife for another roll of Bounty paper towels..

7. Spend 15 minutes wiping up as much of the mess as possible while the oil pan is still dripping.

8. Install new rubber gaskets and cartridge filters.

9. Re-install oil pan plugs.

10. Proceed to dump 6 gallons of oil into the engine (It showed a little above the full mark, so I assume this is safe). I mean what is the harm of a couple extra quarts..

11. Start truck and nearly panicked when it seemed like an eternity for the oil pressure to register. Finally got pressure after about 40 seconds...

12. Check for leaks - OK!

13. Backed up the truck so I could spend the next 1/2 hour degreasing my driveway.

14. Spent the next hour listening to my wife gripe about the mess, and how expensive the oil change was and how the deuce was a waste of money, blah, blah, blah.....

Does this sound like an average experience?

zout

Oh yeah - if you can take a sound video of your better half yelling as well - it has been over 12 hrs since I have heard that sound and I am getting withdrawls like she doesn't love me anymore :deadhorse:

Marlboro

Haha Better luck next time... Let the truck sit longer next time, should be no oil in canisters after it sits a bit. Minus the mess the rest of the story may stay the same:p

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Always do oil changes in a place where you will not be sad if you make a mess. I suggest the neighbor's backyard.

My girlfriend has 6 deuces. She is wonderful and most complaining comes out as "I can't buy more trucks because people keep bidding them up to stupid prices on GL".

My nickname for her is turbo complainer.

Also, let the oil drain for a few hours. I have found 15 minutes to be insufficient.

I always degrease and wash the engine so I can check for leaks afterward.

ryker725

Also, let the oil drain for a few hours. I have found 15 minutes to be insufficient.

I always degrease and wash the engine so I can check for leaks afterward.
I will definitely let her sit a lot longer next time. I will also put an old sheet of plywood under the truck just in case...

I plan on degreasing the engine as well this week when I have time..

Crawdaddy

I just changed the oil in mine, and came across some surprises. First, it's amazing to watch 5 gallons of oil empty out of an engine in under 60 seconds. Second, my deuce engine does NOT have the oil filter housing drain plug listed and shown in the TM. I searched for 10 minutes from all angles and could not find it. Third, I hadn't run the engine in a good 24 hours, so the oil cannisters were perfectly dry and I didn't spill a drop of oil from that.

Overall, I'd say changing the oil on the deuce is one of the easiest oil changes I've ever done. One more question, in my oil filter kits I got from Saturn, I got a large paper gasket that I couldn't figure out where it went. I think it's for a 5-ton, but I was hoping I didn't miss something. Thanks and thanks for the threadjack!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also like to leave it sitting overnight before removing the oil canisters. Alot less cleanup.

scranch18121

So I guess my oil change coming up will need to be done when the wife is out of town so the waaa, waaa, waaa, bla, bla, bla will not be part of list of components needed for a complete oil change.

Crawdaddy

Those oil filters look like the ones that came out of the deuce. The new ones I put in were metal cans. I don't see the gasket I got shown in those pictures. I'll take a pic of one of them tonight.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
there is a port by the oil filters that i guess was used to take oil samples from. This also can be used to drain the filters. when i changed my oil, i stuck my finger down inside where the oil filters go and there was some sludgy stuff in there. nothing real bad, but it may be worth trying to get that stuff out by draining the canisters that way. when i opened mine, it was clogged a little but it eventually came out. has any body else used that port to drain the canister filters?

Flyingvan911

I was busy and let my truck sit for 3 weeks before I put on my spin-on conversion kit. Not a drop of oil spilled. I do admit, you don't need to let it sit nearly that long. I think a day or two would be fine.

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine sat for a little less than 24 hours before I changed it. Not a drop from the canisters, and the process was as smooth as silk! Which is more than I can say for the tire swap/ axle seals/ brake job.... aua

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take mine out on the road for about an hour and then let it sit for an hour in the driveway. I usually get very little, if any spillage.

BTW, I do have plywood under her as she likes to 'leave her mark' anyway. This helps with any Uh-Ohs...