• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My GMC, a little update

Gunfreak25

It's time like these I wish I had more of my Steelsoldiers buddies closer, I got a text tonight from my friends wife that my friend Kyle was in a car accident back in August and did not make it. She had no way of contacting me until she found an email I had sent to him months ago wondering if he'd made the move back to Minnesota okay and without incident. Kyle and I had a lot of fun, drank a ton of beer, shot a lot of guns and talked a lot of BS. I will miss him. :( Here's a newcastle on me tonight friend. :beer:

Gunfreak25

It's all good Stan, I am on a 105 year plan myself and if I play my cards right I'll make it there. So he'll have to sit at the bar for awhile until I get there.

This news made my day, the shop called and the block is done. It passed magnafluxing and was line honed with the girdle installed. I'll order up my main, rod and cam bearings today and come payday I can pick the block up and start reassembly. I am stoked!

Now i need to decide if I want to beef up that 700r4 or leave it stock before slamming it all home. HMMMMM

Gunfreak25

AIR PAK parts kit has arrived! Dan, I had a question for you. It seems the pushrod seal in the GMC air pack is much larger in size than the pushrod seal that comes with the M800 5 ton kit. Will the 5 ton seal work or do I need to give Precision Rebuilders another call for the right part?

Here's a pic of the GMC pushrod seal, the rubber is completely rotted out of it. I almost wonder if a hard rubber O ring could be stuck in there and work just fine? I forget how it's installed but if it's this side down the O ring would not be able to slip out and it seems like that would be a viable fix.

Attachments

SturmTyger380

Here are the photos of the two kits I have. The one on the left with the yellow plastic is the G749 and the one on the right is a newer 5 ton kit. The two push-rod seals are different but the diameters look the same to me.

Picture 362.jpgPicture 363.jpgPicture 360.jpg

Gunfreak25

Mystery solved that big 1/2 "seal" is actually a retainer. The push rod seal was still in the main body plate of the air pak, it was so dirty inside I did not see it was still in there. Pulled right out by threading a 1/2 bolt into it and tapping it out. Nathan gave me an original leather push rod seal but i'm using the rubber neoprene one from the 5 ton kit, it's superior to leather!

So the rebuild has begun and I am taking pics for another write up on AIR PAK rebuilding later.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

Time to turn a page in my life. It has been an absolute honor and privelege getting to know all of you here. You guys were all a huge part of my teenage life and were good influences. I learned a lot with the GMC. I do not have any regrets. But it's time to move onto bigger things. I joined the Army last month and leave May 20th for Fort Sill, OK. I am 14H air defense artillery and am really excited. The deuce was sold to a local man who is a huge MV nut and it is in GOOD loving hands. He plans to do the same with it that I was doing. He is a member here (unknown handle at this time) and has promised to update this thread when he starts on the M211 someday. I will be back someday but in the meantime, I have things to chase. The M1009 is still running stronger than ever and I am leaving it to the worlds sweetest little lady when I am away. After 20 solid days of hunting she finally has herself a job and the Blazer will be her transportation when I am away. She looks so cute behind the wheel, and loves every inch of that truck. :beer: Until next time all....

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I'm pretty confident that you will remain (OD)infected... and that you know now where to look for "help"... :)
Good luck, on that "new page".......!!

G.

plumkrazy

You will be just about 3 hrs. north of me. When you need an OD fix just give a holler and maybe we could meet up or you could get down here and I'll buy the 1st Cold Beer with some good old W. Texas BBQ. Thank you for your service! Keep us posted if possible. Keep your head down, ear protection on, and never volunteer. Good Luck--Allen

Section8

Good luck out there man! Just remember the end that goes bang is the end that points away from you!
All kidding aside, keep it real and drop us a line every now and then to let us know your sit rep.
Life's road brings you to lots of new crossroads. The courage to take that turn onto a new road is where you find your true self.
May God bless you and keep you safe.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never ask why I meet someone at the time that I meet them but I believe I know why I met Gunfreak25 when I did.

I was working on the M135, reading twice as much as I normally would and looking for those mentors that already had a lifetime of experience on the G749. Motivation is hard to find with these trucks as most of the stories are about the ugly side of automatic transmissions. I started seeing this Gunfreak25 name on detailed, mathematical info on the G749. The information did not sound like it was just read off the net and the text pasted onto my screen. It sounded like it came from a soul that had a lifetime of experience with the trucks and knowledge beyond all the books that I read. Not only were all the posts accurate but they were presented politely, humbly and with passion for more than just a truck.

Gunfreak looked at the problems with the truck and simply found solutions. No drama, no yelling, no swearing...very little swearing.... just look at the problem, come up with solutions, pick the best one and go forward. When I found out he was just a kid and did not have a large staff of researchers whipping up his daily reports, I knew we had a leader.
You're truly an old soul Tom, with empathy, compassion and kindness beyond your years. I know you aren't going anywhere and will be in a position very soon where you can stay in touch with everyone, just make sure you do. You still have a lot of us to motivate......and teach.

Too many times we need to say or do things and we never do.... "we'll just move it along"....

To you Mr. Gunfreak :beer: Thanks for being the solid, stand-up guy you are.

USMC 00-08

Gunfreak25= I joined the Army last month and leave May 20th for Fort Sill, OK.

None of us gave you permission to go and do that. ;-)

On a serious note, that is an honorable thing to do. There will be some rough days ahead for you in basic and possibly some rougher afterwards. Just remember that it doesn't last forever. Keep the same good attitude you have always had here with us and you will go far. Learn all you can and if possible learn the responsibilities of at least two ranks above what you are. You will promote fast that way.

Post some pics here of what you are up to when you can. I am not terrible far from Ft. Sill. If you get some leave time and want to get away for a weekend, you have my phone number. It would be nice to meet you in person.

Good luck.

Piper Cub

I just spent atleast 15 hours over the last 4 days reading this thread and following all the links, it was worth it! You did a really nice job fixing up the truck, too bad you didn't get to finish it. Has the new owner posted yet?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks