• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My GMC, a little update

Gunfreak25

I am hoping to return to the GMC in a couple months. :) Maybe it will even see next years air show? I miss the SS camaraderie something awful.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Restoration time sequencing

I miss you solving all the challenges we face everyday.

I now have a few boxes to go through with my new purchase so lets get up to date on your light needs.
Traded my snowmobile for MV stuff and now its snowing so it must have been the right thing to do.

Got handed these funky orange lenses...see pic....ever see these before?
I'm sure I have a few good lights.

You need 4?

Any difference on the "bulb count" from the front to the rears on yours? (2wire vs 3 wire?)

Attachments

Gunfreak25

Dave, dave, dave, davey! Don't you feel like slapping that guy named Murphy sometimes? He comes around at the worst possible time.....that's his law alright.

A quick walk around on the GMC.....I am in need of 2 rear markers (2 wire) and 1 front marker (3 wire). The rest of my light assemblies are in good shape internally.

I see in your picture you have an amber lens cover, I was going to install 2 more separate light housings/brackets from an M35A3 onto my GMC fenders. It will look sweet (I am a sucker for that "busy" hardware utilitarian look)......

SturmTyger380

You could use those orange lenses as covers for the front marker lights and use them like turn signals.

Are you going to keep them? I have been looking for some.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm hoping they're rare and unusual and will go on a truck that will be paraded or locked in a museum. I'm a hoarding keeper for now but if there is a worthy project out there in the G749 series trucks that will get some education exposure and they are 'correct', I'd donate them.

Currently I'm in gunfreaks corner with fender lights but at the moment everything's in limbo until I thaw out.

I need to dig up some history on covers. Understanding which vehicles they were on in what time period will help me decide what to do with them.

Any ideas?

Section8

Hey Gunfreak!
Doing a sit rep. How are things brother? I am sure I am not the only one missing you updates and little tidbits here and there about things.
I just spent the better part of two days re reading your build!!
It is giving me the itch to get back at my rig.
I may have found some motor mounts for my 6bt. So then all I will have to do is fab up fame mounts to full lock in the 6bt.
For lights on the front fender I was thinking of going with nautical lights. The type you would find on the bow of an older motor boat.
If I could ever get to post pictures again, since the site won't let me for some reason, I would show you what I mean.
I think the would look slick at any rate. The are raised enough to be visibale yet taper at the end to blend into the fender so as to not be something to catch things on.
Hope things are going well for ya man and hope to see a video of you rig firing up and its maiden voyage!!

Gunfreak25

Well It pains me to write this, but she is up for sale as of tonight. About 3 weeks ago the grandparents started hinting around the fact they'd appreciate their view of the backyard back. And I can't say I blame them one bit, when it's gone it's gonna look like a building was tore down, demolished and the rubble swept away. Currently it is 100% immobile with 2 left side hubs taken off. The hubs themselves are filled with dirt and the bearings are toast, so I would want to get those replaced, cleaned and reinstalled before calling it moveable. Then, there's the problem of actually moving it. I believe if my neighbor opened his gate we could tow it out carefully. Otherwise, it would be possible to slowly inch it out with a come along and a ground anchor.

The chances of it selling are quite low. But if it sells, it will be tons of weight lifted off my shoulders. I am going to be 22 this summer. I started this build when I was 18. I cannot allow myself to be held back another from doing the things I want/need to do with my life because of the GMC. Mostly from a financial standpoint (because lets face it, nothing in this world happens without coin). I want to take classes this summer at the local college, the health and fitness world being something i've really come to enjoy the past year in my life. I still do my gun work, that too is still something I really enjoy doing.

If the truck doesn't sell after a couple months of simmering, I will have no choice but to take other measures in an effort to give my grandparents back their yard.

Section8

I am gonna cry!! You have put so much work into that ol' girl!
I understand you are at a turning point in your life, I don't envy the choice you have had to make.
If I was closer to you I would have no problem hauling your truck here to have it sit in waiting for you to come back to her some day. 160 acres makes for a lot of room beside mine!
**** if I win the lottery real soon before someone scraps her on you I WILL come and get it and store it for you!!
I am so sorry you couldn't get her up and running for at least one or two trips.
Don't just fade away into memory brother!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We can't forget how the 211 must feel sitting in a safe yard with the sprinkler going, dogs and kids joyfully runnin' round , the chef flippin' meat on the barbee, the smell of the occasional Yuma hardwood fire in the pit, stale pizza boxes and cigarette butt filled beer cans.

She's gonna miss you too!

When I came to see you I saw a shop and yard out by the airport and I think it was JMJ Equipment Transport. They had trucks and trailers and a big yard which was probably why I spotted it. Any options of pricing out a winch truck to yank it out and store until you sell or are ready to build?

Until you list it "for sale" you won't know what kind of response you'll get and guiding buyers to Steel Soldiers will let them see 'exactly' what they're getting so you're in a good position. I think you're in for a pleasant surprise. Figure out what you have into it, what you want and what you'd settle for but list it.

We don't really get to keep them, we work on them or let them sit around until we're gracious enough to let others enjoy their company. That truck was lucky to have you.

Darn good thing you were an absolute gentleman, a friend and truly a mentor to anyone on the planet that dared to absorb the education you've shared with all of us. Thank you,

As long as you keep doing that, Vinny won't phone ya.

Gunfreak25

Man that was pure poetry. My hat is off you you, it's been simmering on craiglist for 48 hours. I like your perspective Dave, however much I try to detach the emotional aspect from the build, it is hard to deny the fact the entire project brought more than a few souls together in this world, it let true colors show and made me realize how much good there is to be discovered out there.

I would very much like to take part in finishing the work, as well as enjoying the truck a little bit if the new owner (to be determined) is okay dokey with such a thing.

Section8

Hey GF,
I would be more than happy to have you finish the build if I could get it up here! Your rig would be lovingly tucked away inside a seacan (storage container) to await your return.
Heck it would be one heck of an excuse to come visit Dave, Stan, and myself, and others in the north!!
Of course this all hinges on the lottery or a lot of help in the network of people in the world.
Seriously though. You can never say your time spent with the old girl was wasted! Every bolt your turned, every square inch you painted, rebuilt, or fabricated new has taught you something about yourself and your ablities. Has brought you new friends and memories that should fill you with a sense of pride only a person can feel when growing through the experiences with your truck.
I for one, tip my hat to you, and bow to you in your gained knowledge and skills.

steelypip

I appreciate the information, Bob! I was going to run the biggest cooler I can get my hands on. I may do the external filter as well, it would really simplify things.
FYI: you CAN overcool trans fluid. That's why most cars (lightly loaded transmissions) use a cooler in a radiator side tank, so that the cooler can warm up the trans fluid if it's too cold. You need some kind of thermostat in the cooler loop.

Now the good news: Find any junkyard with a dead police car or taxicab in it - a Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis, or Lincoln Town Car (Ford Panther platform) from 1998-2004. Pick one that has collision damage, so that you know the transmission probably didn't shed metal into the cooler loop.

All of these cars came with a huge air-oil trans fluid cooler with an integral thermostat (fully open at 185 F). It's so big that it looks like the AC condenser core, which is mounted inline with it (it's in the middle between AC condenser and radiator). Nobody ever needs to upgrade the cooler on these vehicles, no matter what they tow (and some tow three-axle Holiday Ramblers with them). Mount that cooler in front of your radiator, plumb it in, and you're done. It should be possible to parallel these if you need more flow capacity, but I don't think you will - the 4R70W and 4R75W transmission in the Panthers is rated for about the same amount of torque and power that the THM400 is.

Gunfreak25

BOO!!! I am taking my brothers job at the country club at the end of August. With some steady income I still have every intention of completing little Jimmy. She waits, patiently. :) When finished I can begin putting aside northern money for work with Davey Jones!

Section8

Yaaaaaaaaaay!
Awesome news!! Can't wait for the informative posts and positive feeds to start poppin up again.
I am sure I speak for a lot of us when I say...
Glad you back! Now get at it and post pictures!! LOL!!

Gunfreak25

I COMPLETELY FORGOT!! SHOUT OUT TO STAN LESCHERT FOR THE CARGO BOWS SEVERAL MONTHS AGO!! They will be cleaned up and put to great use! I have to ask, did you send over 9 or 10 of them?

Gunfreak25

I forgot that just before I went AWOL here I had bought the 12 wheel cylinders I needed. I only have half of them on. It's funny because with how little i've played with the Jimmy the past several months, let alone thought about her all of the to do's and specs are coming right back to me. That's the power of obsession baby...yeah....

Priority #1 for the truck is getting those two rear left hubs back on which have collected months worth of dirt sitting opened up. I picked up some purple power and began cleaning things tonight. I think my first order for the GMC will be from Memphis, I need 2 new bearings/races for a hub which has pitted bearings. POO

OH SEATYGER?? JIM?? WHERE ARE YE AT OLD FART? OH YEAH! OLD FART! YOU GUYS STILL HERE??? Echoo?????

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thomas...
Have you considered picking up bearings and seals locally? At least you would get a modern seal if you looked it up by measurements.

Gunfreak25

I was going to order 2 bearings and 2 races from Memphis. I believe Dave-O gave me the part #'s for the seals. Ahh yes, here they are on the back of the Levy book. I see his black boot print over the back page.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks