• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My GMC, a little update

Oldfart

I appreciate the PM on engine alignment, OF! You actually got me thinking about raising the motor/tranny. It sits pretty low. The reason for that is the tranny crossmember is what is currently dictating where it all sits, height wise. If I remove the crossmember/frame bushings, put those bushings instead under the th400 tailshaft mounting holes I would have effectively moved the powertrain upwards 2.5 inches. That would not allow me enough room to get by without modifying the headers, but it would allow for a good 5" of oil pan clearance and the motor mounts would sit up a little higher.

Driveshaft angle wise, I believe you are correct in that it would be fine. You should see the HMMWV's. They are canted WAAAY over towards the passenger side. Those are some weird vehicles.

The 4bt Cummins used in some MV conversions usually uses the bell housing from a bread truck application so as to clear the steering gearboxes. This is most effective on M37's. What happens is the engine is rotated off the center line. It looks sort of like the slant head 6 that Dodge used for a number of years, only not so pronounced. Sticks in my mind it is a 4 degree rotation. Like I said, General Motors vans set the engine and trans off to the passenger side to make room for the foot controls and steering wheel on the drivers side.

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure about the slip yoke issue in the driveshaft... unless I'm totally missing something here, the motor/transmission are stationary, and the t-case is stationary, so I can't see a need for a slip yoke...'Tanner'
There will be some flex in the frame, motor mount etc. The tailshaft has the slip joint inside on the standard TH 400 transmission so it is easier to keep it. If there was no ship joint you'll have to move the motor forward to replace a u-joint or install the driveshaft.

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

Fabbed up my mounts today and tacked them in place. Neighbor was too drunk to weld them so he'll be doing it tomorrow morning. :lol: Personally I wait until the work is through before guzzling brew. I can't do crap if I am stumbling around the yard.

I know somewhere Stan is laughing his hind end off at this.

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm noticing a decrease in the frequency of pictures in your postings lately.

It is your job to keep us GMC guys motivated! :p

(I better go post some in my thread)

Stan Leschert

My neighbor was too drunk to weld them so he'll be doing it tomorrow morning on his Miller MIG. :lol: Personally I wait until the work is through before guzzling brew. I can't do crap if I am stumbling around the yard. I know somewhere Stan is laughing his hind end off at this.

I can send you 2 of my welders,
but shipping and up keep for those thirsty buggers,
would make buying an M1 tank cheap by comparison!

These are the 2 legged kind of welders.
The beer bill alone is enough to drain your wallet!

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

My neighbor hadn't gotten to my mounts by the next morning, so I took them back. I guess if you want something to get done you have to do it yourself. All is fine though, I got rid of the extension cord my welder was hooked up to and cranked the wire speed up to 9. It has never worked better. I ran out of wire though, so I only got 1 done. I did get my fenders, and side skirts back on. Just finished disassembling the brush guard/grill for sand/prime. Soon as I bolt the motor mounts in I will officially have all the body parts bolted back on for good. That sure will feel good. I must say it's no longer a sight for sore eyes.

By the way, thanks for all the compliments and words of encouragement old fart, as well as from everybody else. Helps a guy continue plugging away.

Attachments

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice! Thanks for the pictures. I like the idea of the Diesel engine. Your truck looks very clean. Keep plugging away!

Oldfart

Is that rain in Yuma???? Your front on photo looks good. The 6.2 appears to be a good candidate to fit in the engine pit. I think there are quite a few of us interested in the kind of performance this conversion will produce. ~~~ Your number crunching would seem to indicate the 6.2 is a good match for the old Jimmy's.

Gunfreak25

All done with the engine swap. I finished my mounts last night and bolted them in. For my 1st set of motor mounts I think they came out very nice. To test them, I used the engine hoist to try and lift the motor up to flex the mounts. Instead, it started lifting the front end of the truck off the ground! I used 1/4" plate and laid down 8 full length welds per mount, grade #8 hardware too of course.

Attachments

armytruck63

Excellent work! I like you concept here - repowering an older military truck with a more modern, yet still military engine.

Have you figured out how you are going to mount the air compressor? Keep up the good work. [thumbzup]

Gunfreak25

I'll be covering the air compressor mounting soon. That is the very last thing I have to fabricate with this entire project.

These are the pictures I took today for M1010Plowboy

Attachments

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
6.2 Deuce