• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My GMC, a little update

Gunfreak25

Dave, here are those cab pictures you wanted. To be honest, it doesn't really need anything aside from the roof panels, a top and a new center floorplate. It looks like it's missing stuff, but I have the cab gutted of all the dash components, drivers seat (new vinyl!!), and any electrical items to keep them from getting weathered. It's so filthy because we have a lot of dust here, and when it rains it only makes mud!!

The pile of parts is all I have left to put on. Here lies all the grill parts, air tanks, tank shields, air compressor, exhaust shields and some copper air lines. The box of lines/parts is mostly junk that I am not ready to throw away yet. My left tank is dented and I do plan to order a replacement from Alfa Heaven.

Sorry if they are dark, it was getting late.

Attachments

wardepartment

Congrats on a project not only being done well, but well on it's way. I found this post just tonight and have read start to finish in one setting... Not even certain if I have blinked come to think of it.
I have done countlless re-powers and have seen every level of talent out there, and boy are some of them out there! You are doing tremendous work, and it is comforting to see a younger individual be so humble and respectful of the comments and advice that has been sent in your direction.
As well I will send out respectful appreciation for the other participants in this forum, often times I get stared reading and I am blown away by some of the nit-picking and opinoin slinging that some are prone to doing, did not happen here... Great job guys!

A bunch of us in Michigan have been successfully burning WMO in CUCV's for some time and as far as I'm concerned they love it, 50-75 percent has worked well for me. My CUCV may as well be called a multi-fuel because it has had virtually any flamable liquid I can find (within reason) poured into the tank. you have the right idea, 5 micron with water sep. before the ip should serve you well, especially with your daytime temps.
I believe that I read something about an in-tank pump, electric I assume? that is a great way to go for purging air from your system during filter changes. Another accessory that I am sold on is a simple freeze-plug style block heater. I do not know how cold your evenings get where you are at, but I will admit that a little extra heat does help to get the 15w40 or whatever else gets poured into my drums to ignite faster on those chilly mornings.

Thanks for sharing your project with us.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gunfreak, I FINALLY got my parts storage trailer cleaned out Friday. A package will go out Monday with some goodies that were left over from my other cab. Gauge panel looked ok, but glove compartment doors are weak. Maybe you can skin the outside of one and the inside of the other. I sent some other stuff just to fill space. Maybe you can find a use for some of it. Good luck with your project!
Dan

Gunfreak25

Thanks a whole lot, Dan! I will be on the lookout for the parts. In the meantime i've turned some much needed attention towards the inside of the cab. First I secured a tarp over it to keep it weatherproof from here on out.

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

No, but I plan to before it leaves the yard. As I have stated in previous posts, the 6.17 axles make for some very light engine and transmission work.

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

Well it seems there was some initial confusion, actually I forgot to include the 16% transfer case underdrive in some of my RPM calculations. I will be turning 3200rpm at 55mph. This is a little dis concerning. I am now seriously considering a 700r4 swap. I talked with Tom at Alfa Heaven and he assured me they are beefy enough stock if it's a 1988 or newer 700.
If I go that far, I might as well get one with a married NP205/208 transfer case so I can get back low range. I have some thinking to do. I am not only running out of money, I have been running out of steam.

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hear ya on the steam thing. Rember the speed limit is 45 in your town so you should turn 2500rpm. If I were you, I'd keep going on the path you are taking. Keep the TH 400 for now. Run it for a year.

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

About 2650rpm at 45mph 3200 at 55mph with 9.00's. The only roads I take that are 55mph around here is when I go to my uncles or the shooting range which is 40 miles round trip. And I only shoot a couple times a year these days. So it will all work out okay afterall. I guess I just got a little burned out yesterday from playing with too many tires. She likes to remind me that although I am 20, I am NOT invincible like I pretend to be sometimes.

Last edited:

nattieleather

The reason I asked is that I thought it would be easier to put it in now than it would be later. It's a good addition to the motor no matter if it's driven by a little old lady on Sundays or the little old lady from pasadina.

The 700r4 is a good transmission that got a bad rap (disclaimer here, once GM worked all the bugs out that is) and they can be built to take even heavy duty work loads, but yeah that sounded like tire slinging talk you had there yesterday. Stick with the 400 for now and down the road if you want to change it you can. Keep at it and remember it's and elephant...one bite at a time!

Gunfreak25

Finished putting the brushguard together and reinstalled the old radiator. It's a 60's Chevelle type. Only a 2 core, but seeing as how a 6.2 only makes 150hp and they generally run much cooler than a gas motor I think this radiator should be sufficient. I have 4" of room for an electric but can make an extra 1.5" if I need it. I think I will use this electric fan from Summit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-320718/?rtype=1

I also want to thank Dave here for the 6.2 diesel air cleaner bowl of a CUCV. I welded a cut down coffee can onto the bottom as a riser so it clears the injection pump on the low HMMWV intake. Pics in the morning.

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

All buttoned up! The 6.2 sitting all cozy in it's new home. The process of hooking everything up and plumbing things in begins. **** I need a starter soon! The drivers seat was reupholstered 1 year ago this month. It sure is COMFY. :beer:

Seeing these pics was a real morale booster.

Attachments

Last edited:

chevyCUCV

I think that radiator might be small. I would watch water temps until you are sure it can cool the 6.2 under load.

Otherwise good work and its almost there. Cant wait to hear how it drives

Gunfreak25

BTW, the parts arrived a few days ago Dan! Thanks a lot! The glovebox doors are most certainly save-able. My grandfather is already diving into the Medical book, you have a sick sense of humor. :lol: Actually my uncle started as an EMT and now he's been working in one of Phoenix's largest Hospitals for over 5 years. He can't decide if he wants to come full circle and get his doctorates. He fought fires for many years too, throughout Yuma and nothern AZ.

I will get the MO for the shipping out as soon as possible.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the offer, but dont send anything. I was cleaning shop before winter. The book was from one of my refresher classes. We get new ones every 2 years. There is some good stuff every one should know a little about there. Bad thinks happen to good people some times. Most of the info is good for medical first responders to surgeons in the field. Maybe It will help someone some day or save a life.

Any way, keep posting your progress, I look forward to seeing it. :)

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starter

I go away for a few days and you build a truck. Great progress.

You don't have a starter? One should consider starting with the starter before you start.

We're going to pay $200.00 for an aftermarket one up here. Shall I feed the dogs and get the sled ready to bring it down there or can you get one locally? how much?

I'm posting a side shot of the cab so you can see the window.

I'm thinking you're going to need about 4 components to 'hard top' that beast.

2 sides with windows
1 top rear panel with window, c/w slider window and rotting weather stripping
1 roof, c/w butt dents from surfing

I'll get some shots of the available pieces tomorrow and we can be sure I'm getting what you need.

Going to -4F this week and it looks like this on the highway so the outdoor wrenching slows down a little.

Keep it up

Attachments

Gunfreak25

Oh no! We can get starters down here everywhere. $120, brand new in 24V. I just haven't gotten around to ordering one yet. I was told the motor runs great so I wasn't too concerned with testing out before installation or anything....knock on wood......ouch....don't say knock.

I thought the hard tops were 2 piece (top/back). I see now that they are indeed 4 piece! You are correct in your assesment. I need both roof side panels, top, back and the side window panels. Perhaps I could talk my grandparents into giving you a place to bunk for a couple days if you make it all the way to Yuma. You'd have a place to park the RV. Would be great to do some 500 meter shooting at the range, I have enough rifles and my daily carrier, Ruger P95. Do a little elbow bending around the fire pit in the backyard around the truck afterwards. Have a good ol time! :beer: Probably shorts and sandals weather for you but i'd be bundled up like an Eskimo.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks