• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My GMC, a little update

Oldfart

Gunfreak,
Good to talk to you today. Attached is a photo of the front of my M220 when we had the grill off for some straightening and repair. You can see there are several inches between the stock radiator location and the grill. The radiator support can be moved forward with some fabrication and it is possible to fabricate radiator mountings on the front of the radiator support hoop if it is left in the stock location.

Attachments

Gunfreak25

Thanks for the pictures OF, you can see in the old pic below that the radiator is already mounted within the center of the grill. It can only moved forward another 3/4". I will have room, but things will be tight. Worst case scenario I have to use a few tricks up my sleeve to make a few more inches.

It will be a tight fit, but I think I can do it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Oldfart

To answer your material question, the T tube is copper. That radiator might be old enough to have the year of vehicle date embossed in the top tank. I once got into an argument with a buyer of a truck I was selling about the Harrison date on the radiator. He claimed the 57 chevy truck was a 55 because the radiator was dated 55. Either the factory was using up old stock or someone replaced the radiator with a used radiator from an older truck. No matter the radiator, the pickup was a 57. Anyhow, your radiator might have a two digit year date.

Gunfreak25

I researched it on a Chevelle forum about a year ago. The conclusion I came to was that it was a 1967 or older Harrison. Most had tags on them but mine is gone. The top tank has a couple letters stamped into it, and the top of the tank has a small metal tag showing the serial number and "Lebo, Ohio" which I am assuming is Lebanon. It has brass tanks, but appears to have been painted a few years ago by the prev owner. I spent 2 weeks per side going over it with a comb straightening out every single fin. I'm not compulsive. I'm not compulsive.

Oldfart

They make a comb like tool with different spacing to straighten bent fins. It makes a big difference on a resale if the radiator looks new and straight. Sometimes there were two letter codes rather than numbers embossed into the tank and those would give you an application. The year date would be something like 67K or some other combination. I have to agree it is a Chevelle or Impalla. Those were center top fill while most of the rest of the GM stuff was a side mounted fill cap on the top flow to make a little more room to close the hood. It looks like the top tank retaining strap has been removed to facilitate mounting in your truck. The soldered on number tags usually were the specific identifer for the application. The actual cores are usually standard sizes that then have specific mounting brackets soldered on for the particular application.

Reactions: Sim

Gunfreak25

Thanks for the oil cooler info per our PM OF. Always a wealth of info! Let me know what you find on the radiator, it's certainly old but is in good shape.

Just sealed the deal on the 700r4/Np231. It will be a few weeks until I can pick it up in Phoenix. Traded an old Marlin 60 and $80 for it. :D

Attachments

Last edited:

nattieleather

I know that's a 700r4 but it must be out of a Jeep or something because it has a drivers side drop on the transfercase. Which I know isn't a problem for you because your using the trucks T-case for well the t-case and this is just to give you high low range..... Just looks funny because of the drivers side drop instead of passingers side drop that we are use to seeing on Chevy's and GMs. You'll probably have to get a new torqconverter to get the low stall speed that the diesel requires.

Keep up the good work with the project!

Gunfreak25

It's a heavy duty K case 700 which were used on most 6.2 applications. HD 32 spline output with 4 pinion planetary.

My uncle is bringing it down by the end of the month.

Attachments

Last edited:

ODdave

K just denotes 4x4 (yes a lil heavier casting, But is in every factory 4x4). As for the 231, dont expect much from it. Also keep in mind, it more than likely had a 4.3 in front of it. The 4&6 cyl had lighter clutch packs in them

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

Dave, just wanted to let you know I have not forgotten about the air cleaner. Just getting some other things paid off. As you can see it worked out great!

The truck may weigh twice as much as a loaded M1009, but it also has axles geared twice as low, a permanent 16% under drive in both ranges, and the 231's 2.72 low would be more than adequate for any situation the truck could face on and off road.

In the near future I would like to add a super servo and some extra Borg Warner frictions.

panhapp

That’s a nice looking repower. I tried to read each post to see if you mentioned the top link to the axel. It looked like it was removed in one of the pictures. I have a 211 that someone stuck a 350 chevy in. They took the link out and didn’t put it back. This lets the springs rock back and forth as the aren’t mounted solid on either end. Did mounting the engine higher let you put it back in?

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

The link or "torque rod" as they are called was not removed for this installation, no reason they should have had to remove it for your 350 M211. Which by the way, you must post pictures of or the mods will ban you. :lol:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M211 visit

Once again, visually stripping another G749 M series truck has been an inspiration.....Thanks Gunfreak.

One bolt at a time.

Great visit!

Gunfreak25

Our door is always open, Dave. You a Rob are two of the greatest characters, I swear. Remember to tell TSA about the metal in your foot or they're going to tear your arse up. Until next time Canadian brother. :beer:

Gunfreak25

Not much to update.

-Brake work has begun. Air pack is in pieces for a rebuild
-Air compressor awaiting rebuild
-Brake shoes are looking great, but found 1 with a cracked body. Scary.
-Wheel cylinders all look to be in excellent shape despite age. They'll all be rebuild.
-700r4 is being installed as soon as I get the new flexplate.
-Np231 disassembled and waiting to chop output shaft.

Dave, what will probably end up happening is the truck will be about 95% finished by the time the hard top arrives (no rush there buddy). I want to make the 2012 Air Show and Car show to win some cash. I was told she could enter for $80. :beer:

I have some shoes that came of my parts trucks that will work for your truck .I will have to check in the shed but you can have them if you want them . kenny

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks