• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My GMC, a little update

Stan Leschert

We are getting ready for the Toy Drive, and here is the beast with an un-restored M105 ....
we need a place to haul the donated bikes (for needy kids.. not you Dave!)
Anyways, I hooked on to it today and took it back to the compound. I didn't even notice it there.

It tracked like a champ, and the truck handled much better.
The tounge weight dampened the bounce, but I felt a real sucking sound from my wallet!

Backing it in with Arm Strong Steering was interesting, I had to open all windows and de-activate the cab heater,
but it is now parked within 2" of where the truck alone was!

Brakes, lights, rust removal and fresh paint will be happening real soon! New wood and a cargo cover are next.

And Yes, I will re-spring the banners before Santa's Big Green Helper does the run on Sunday!

And Yes, Dave has helped BIG time with this project.
Winch will be on when it warms up!

Attachments

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

Not much to update. Some good news and bad news. The good news is now that I have my wheel bearing socket I've started my brake work. Brake shoes are all within spec except for 1 which was cracking in half! Thanks to Topo here for sending me some in a few days off a parts truck!

The bad news is all 4 of the wheel cylinders are garbage so far. Even the expander cups and pistons look like swiss cheese. I am going to have to order up 12 of them from Niagara when I can do so.

Once the brakes are finished this baby is going to be a LOT closer to being finished. That will just leave getting my wiring reinstalled and a few last odds and ends finished. :-D

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the size of that fancy socket? I gotta get me one too. Sorry about the wheel cyls. I believe I will have the same problem.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was just thinking, aren't the Niagra kits a 1/16 bigger bore? Could a guy just chuck the wheel cyls in a lathe and ...

Gunfreak25

Yep, they are 1 3/8". He also sells them NOS for $14 if you buy 12. He thinks they are also different from the US cylinders in that the Canadians got rid of the goofy aluminum expanding ring inside the cylinder, and used the traditional everyday style spring/cups.

I have no idea why GM went with the weird expanding ring. It must have had some advantage over other types. Nobody I've ever talked to has heard of them before. Maybe they were less prone to leakage?

panhapp

Can you take a couple of pictures.? I know I'll have to do it too. What makes the brake drum lock up when its been sitting for a long time?

Are you getting any snow or rain out of this? We are supposed to get 12-15+. And 45 mph wind

Pan

Gunfreak25

Brake drums lock up over the years when rust builds up between the drum and shoes. Yuma has not gotten snow in 30+ years and we had about 1 inch fall 4 or 5 days ago. That is more than what the usually see, so it's a lot of water for us. I can't work in the mud, so I am stuck inside until things dry out. Which won't be for awhile, because it drizzled last night too and it's supposed to rain more today. I was born a desert rat!!

Seatyger

If you need the wheel cylinders from Niagara let me know. He is not all that far from me. Then when I check my UPS Store Box in Michigan I could send them to you. LIkely save you a bit with Cross Border shipping BS. Let me know if your interested.

Jim :beer:

Seatyger

Hey Brother
When you figure out your time table, give me a shout. Ralph is pretty accomodating as far as schedules are concerned. He will most likely be attending the Ontario Military Vehicle Association show on the 18th of February, then I'm off to the Good Ole USA for a Sig Sauer Armorers course on the 19th.

If your itching to do it sooner, I'm always looking for an excuse to head down his way. Worse case scenario, I can forward you some from my stash as early as next week.

Now that you've let a Canuck know first hand where to find you I think we can put you on the list of 'With Whom to Share a Pint with..... or forward NOS Truck parts too' LOL.

I'd be happy to trade your wet, and mud for our current wet sub zero crap weather at present. Cold is good for killing off insects and slows the influx of third world miscreants but its a PITA when you have arthritis in your joints!

What a monologue......... and all you wanted to know about was wheel cylinders :beer:

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

I want to say thanks to Topo for the parts, they arrived this morning. Sort of like an early Christmas, topo included 2 new wheel cylinders, 4 old take off's, 2 NOS pinion seals, 1 NOS horn button kit, 2 take off brake shoes, bag of shoe springs and what look like some spare circuit breakers for the GMC harness. You can never have enough spares!

Using my digital caliper I forgot I had, I miked a couple cylinders, honed them smooth, final polished then miked them again to make sure I was within specs (2.257 is the max). I still have 6 left to do and 8 still on the truck.

I'll probably run into a few more I can't save, so if anyone has a spare wheel cylinder laying around PM me!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you could find the original brake parts!

Still wondering if M35 piston & cups could be used in M211 WCs
BTW: diameter for both should be 1-1/4" nominal (or 1.257 max...?)

G.

Gunfreak25

Now if I had the Canadian wheel cylinders which are indeed 1 3/8" I know the M35 kits would work. Saturn Surplus has them for $6.50 per wheel. Just a little info for you Canadian M135 guys who want to stock up on rebuild kits.

There are several companies that still manufacture new wheel cylinders for our GMC's and probably always will. So finding brake parts will never be a real problem, you just have to be prepared to shell out $480 for a full set.

Oh well, if we wanted it easy we'd of all bought Honda's. :beer:

Seatyger

If you're bound and determined to rebuild wheel cylinders I will send you the 12 I just removed from my 52 M135. We replaced the 12. They will be the 1 3/8" size. Let me know as my wife will be heading to Michigan next week to empty UPS box.

I can have my Boy's clean them up a bit, they are not really that bad of shape all things considered,

Gunfreak25

That would be mighty fine Seatyger! I think it would be a better choice than going through all the work of rebuilding these. Rebuilding them would be easier, too. I will gladly pay postage for them!

Gunfreak25

Wow, the truck feels like a truck again. I think once the brakes are finished it will be 95% finished which is pretty surreal to think about. I've taken the past couple weeks to reinstall all of my wiring and my dash components, along with other odds and ends that have been sitting on the parts pallet. The pallet is starting to look pretty empty. All of the brake lines have been loosened and are ready for picking and replacing. Soon as I get some wheel cylinders for the two rear wheels I am working on I can get the hubs/bearings washed out and repacked, torque the wheel bearing nuts to spec and adjust the brake shoes. I still have a ways to go but it's a real moral booster seeing stuff coming to together again after a year.

Hope you all had a great holiday, I know I did. :beer: Please excuse any errors in my spelling, RUM tends to do that.

Seatyger

Well Junior,
The Wheel Cylinders have been given a cursory cleaning by my Son for you, Of the 24 only 3 exterior rubber end pieces were disposed of due to splits or cracks. Should have them out to you this week.

If you figure they arent worth the bother, paint them Blaze Orange and use them for long range Varmint targets!

Dont forget to update the photos and say Hello to Captain Morgan for me! Unless of course you prefer the bottle with the Bat lol! :D

Tanner

Oh no! We can get starters down here everywhere. $120, brand new in 24V. I just haven't gotten around to ordering one yet. I was told the motor runs great so I wasn't too concerned with testing out before installation or anything....knock on wood......ouch....don't say knock.

I thought the hard tops were 2 piece (top/back). I see now that they are indeed 4 piece! You are correct in your assesment. I need both roof side panels, top, back and the side window panels. Perhaps I could talk my grandparents into giving you a place to bunk for a couple days if you make it all the way to Yuma. You'd have a place to park the RV. Would be great to do some 500 meter shooting at the range, I have enough rifles and my daily carrier, Ruger P95. Do a little elbow bending around the fire pit in the backyard around the truck afterwards. Have a good ol time! :beer: Probably shorts and sandals weather for you but i'd be bundled up like an Eskimo.
If I missed any mention of it in the previous comments, be sure to use the GM factory style starter bolts & install the starter brace bracket when you install the new starter! Without the brace, you'll stand the chance of having the starter twist against it's mounting bolts when you crank up the 6.2...

'Tanner'