• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My GMC, a little update

panhapp

1 I would have to find and buy more stuff.

2 I am concerned about all the brake fluid needed to operate 12 wheel cylinders.

3 I want to make this as field repairable as possible.

If it was going to be a local toy or a bobber I'd go with the hydro boost. I have heard you guys say how good the GMC brakes are so sticking to stock may be my best bet. I have only steered a 211 while towing it about 30 miles. I was surprised how good it rode.

Pan

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Roof, airtank, MC, cylinders

I'm not sure how you did it Gunfreak. Last week it was -30c and this week it's 32F
which is plenty warm for working outdoors without clothes.

Somehow the time became available and there's a roof, airtank, a marginal master c
and 12 sad looking wheel cylinders sitting in my shop.

Now that I know what you know about straightening metal and removing rust, I think
you'll have great success reconditioning these.

No idea when I'm shippin out but hope it's soon.

Cheers

Attachments

Gunfreak25

Gunfreak at a loss for words. :shock::beer:

This ladies and germs is bulletproof evidence that there are still decent folk in this crazy world.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We'll celebrate when it's in your back yard....Gotta border to cross with 'green truck parts'.

BORDER GUARD

""Whats in the back?""

CANADIAN

"Parts of an army truck, a tank, twelve cylinders and a master" aua

Gunfreak25

If you paint everything pink it will seem less intimating!

I don't know if you remember our backyard fence or not leading to the alley, but my grandfathers property extends 10 feet beyond the fence into the alley (it's 30' wide) so you will have a place to park your Duramax/Camper without upsetting any zoning violations. As if there were any here.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gunfreaks weather thread

Shorts in Yuma.....
Edmonton Temps in December were on average 16 degrees above normal. This winter season is nice but very unusual......

Here's a blurb from the Edmonton Journal

Edmonton’s balmy winter weather defies trends

"""""And, as anyone who has gone outside in the last two months can attest, it’s not just a one-off. The average temperature for December was 5.6 degrees. It’s usually closer to -11.3. Even more incredibly, Phillips said, is that nighttime temperatures that usually dip to -19 have been hovering around the freezing mark.
“Winter has gone missing in action in the west,” Phillips said.
Thank or blame La Nina, a phenomenon that occurs when water temperatures across the central and eastern Pacific are below normal. The weather system had forecasters predicting a colder-than-average winter back the in the fall. But it’s been a weaker-than-expected episode, with wave after wave mild Pacific air hitting Western Canada and only an occasional burst of Arctic air.

Shorts in Yuma

Seatyger

Thats was hilarious and creepy at the same time! I guess some of you were hoping that was the fall out from California finally dropping into the Pacific ocean! I dont know about human snow birds but I wish the real birds werent so **** lazy. The Canadian Geese have been so indoctrinated by left wing liberalism that they stay in Canada for the most part year round crapping all over the local golf courses and parks! Our 'Greenies' spend more on bread and feed for them than we do for school children. They are known in this area as Sky Carp.

If you ever have the urge to take out your frustrations on one of God's creatures and be treated like a Hero, Saint or just plain old Down to Earth Great Guy by landowner's and Farmers let me know!

Sorry, this has nothing to do with green trucks.......How about if we drove the Deuce to the farms and.......:beer:

Gunfreak25

It's all good Jim, your posts make my day. :lol: You know we are just waitin for Cali to slip off, then we get ocean front property and a lot cleaner air if you know what I mean. Why don't you take advantage of your next vacation and get your big Mountie behind down here for some...:beer:

I'll bet you could hitch a ride with M1010Plowboy, the two of you would be like sticking Cheech and Chong together and expecting something productive to get done.

Gunfreak25

The cab has never looked this good before. Fabbed up a mount yesterday for the GMC shift tower. There's only 2 vehicles in world history that have used this tower. Our trucks, and the big GM futurliners of the 1940's. No way I am doing without it! I worked it out in my head and I will be fabbing up new linkage to shift the 700r4, I will also fab up linkage to operate the pull handle starter with the 6.2 diesel. Soon the truck will have the York 210 compressor mounted and the transmission/transfer installed. Slow but sure process!

The cab has not looked this complete since being decommissioned in 1985. It's starting to feel good sitting in my vinyl seat.

Attachments

Last edited:

Oldfart

Gunfreak,
Neat to keep the old tower, but you might look at the early 70's Chevys in the C60, C70 size. They too used a tower with that automatic and it might connect to the 700R4 with a less complicated shift arrangement.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clean, wow.

Old Fart just reminded me of an 86' chev C-60 in the fleet. It's got an Alison 4 speed auto and a similar...but different..... tower so If we need to check linkage, it's here.

Can you modify and use this hose reel? Pops carved it out of a dolly to run 1 1/2" fire hose on the nursery but it's a paper weight now.

What are the night time temps like down there.......camping weather?

Attachments

Oldfart

Clean, wow.

Old Fart just reminded me of an 86' chev C-60 in the fleet. It's got an Alison 4 speed auto and a similar...but different..... tower so If we need to check linkage, it's here.

What are the night time temps like down there.......camping weather?

Does that tower still use the T handle like the older C60's?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh memories, you got it....T handle, black button on the side. This one had a 454 in it and hauled ass...as well as a 1000g water tank.

Good call oldfart.

Gunfreak25

Dave, I could make use of that reel in the not too distant future.

Pics of aforementioned shifter/tower/linkage would be great, I would kind of like to see it anyway since I figured most all of the 70's big Chebby grain haulers used 5 and 2's, not auto's. Very cool!

PM me your phone # by the way! Writing it down this time.

Last edited:

nattieleather

That looks good GF. The starter you could set it to push a momentary contact switch and that would engage the starter relay to start the truck. No real linkage involved. What are you going to rig up for the glow plugs?

Gunfreak25

Progress is picking up again!

-York 210 compressor on it's way so I can start generating air for the brakes.
-45 degree flaring dies so I can start picking and replacing all the hard brake lines.
-Half of the wheel cylinders honed out perfectly and ready for new rubbers
-Flex A Lite transmission cooler to keep the 700r4 happy.
-Carpeted entire floor

When little Davey Jones arrives I'll have my new air tank, Canadian mirrors and a Canadian hard top to complete the cab work.

The to do list is getting short!!!!!!!!!