• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My GMC, a little update

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking truck. You are getting close! I'd be sitting in the driver's seat every evening, elbow on the door, hand on the wheel, foot mashed to the floor...

Of course there would be spit all over the steering wheel and windshield!

Gunfreak25

Thanks! I think in a few day's I'll start picking and replacing my hydraulic lines one by one. I've already pre-loosened all of them with a line wrench so it would be easy to do later. Plugs or tape will be put on any open ends to keep them clean until my brake system is functional. Since I am doing a total brake re-do I am also going with silicone brake fluid which IMO is superior to any glycol fluid.

Gunfreak25

Out of a 25' roll I managed to crank out 4 axle hard lines with near perfect flares. The rest was "trial and error" and ended up in the scrap bin. :lol: Can't complain!

Today I re-torqued a great number of bolts and found most to be 20lbs under spec! Also found 2 bad torque rods and adjusted my steering gear box, the two little cotter pins on the drag link bolts were gone too!

Still waiting on my York 210 in the mail. The man has apparently been "busy".....

When the truck is finished I will be posting a 2nd thread titled "GMC 6.2/700r4/Np231 swap thread highlights". All of the information in this 27 page long thread will be condensed into a few posts for anyone wanting to do the same.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also found 2 bad torque rods and adjusted my steering gear box, the two little cotter pins on the drag link bolts were gone too! QUOTE]

Tell me more about the bad torque rods. I'm heading to a top secret salvage yard to pull a complete axle in 2 weeks.

Gunfreak25

The top rod at the rearmost axle is bent and the pressed in bearing shell is bulged out. The 2nd bad torque rod is the one on the drivers side middle tandem which also has the bearing shell bulged out.

I think the GMC torque rods are designed differently from the M35's which are rubber mounted and more prone to failure when the rubber rots out. I don't believe the GMC's have any rubber in the rods and instead use pressed in or peened in bearings that are "sealed for life". I'd be interesting in finding out the difference.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Torque Rods a Dogbone

Hey....I'm looking after my sisters dog and she gave me extra dog bones for a treat....for the dog....

Then we go visit my Nephew and left the dog in the yard for 5 minutes. The dog destroys the back yard then denies getting into the garbage.........so no treat for her.

Should I save the bones for ya?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyBJmbhdrto&feature=youtu.be[/media]

Gunfreak25

Well the guy at Memphis said the rods are not interchangeable between the M35's and GMC's. He said the GMC's do also have rubber in them like the M35's, but they are more secure as the bearings are pressed or "peened" in and are less failure prone then the M35's which have heard of just letting go if not replaced. Definitely don't want to have that much fun on the road, so I will replace the 2 suspects.

For what it's worth, the man at Memphis said the easiest way to remove them is to smack the mount in which the pin sits in and if you hit it hard enough the pin will pop itself right out since it's tapered.

Thanks for the offer, Dan. But it appears smart%ss Davey Jones has a couple dog bones that have already been taken off a truck. So you can save your back Dan! :beer:

Gunfreak25

A 5lb mallet and a couple decent licks and my top dog bone off the rear axle is off. It was a lot easier than I thought. The other one is still good. Just going to replace this one since it is bent a little.

The truck used to be a bare chassis/cab and when the Army gutted it they left the old torque rods hanging on the frame. Over the years/moving is how the one of them got damaged.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Torque Rods

I'm reminded again that I may have 30 good summers left and I'm goin' out smilin'. Just enjoying the moment and wishing the same insanity for all.

We are a few weeks away from accessing the trucks. If you need things before the end of April.......git er done. It warmed up today but we're back to 32F next week. We're frozen like a fish stick then mud like puddin'. Yuma Yuma Yuma Yuma

Otherwise, I hope to make time to help the donor owners get the trucks and parts inventoried and stored a bit better. At that time I'll have access to.......torque rods, mirrors and stuff.

We used the .......proper removal of tapered pins.......method on the tie-rod for the 1010. Things come apart easier when you know how and it's one smart way to work.

Post office Pat is back this weekend and I'll bag up the MC and send it off so you too can be too busy. You must show tube bending and flare making methods and tools agent 25........ How is it you make EVERYTHING sound so freakin easy.

Gunfreak25

Take your time on the parts, Dave. Lord knows I have plenty of other things to do at the moment. Tonight I cleaned the Np231 case and parts and ordered up a few parts, should have it back together and on the 700r4 in a few day's. It should only weigh around 50 to 60lbs so I think I can lift it up in there with 1 arm and thread the bolts in with the other.

Tomorrow is the Air Show and i've talked the granny into coming along.

The brake lines were made from Poly Armour brake tubing which is hand bendable, no tools!

Gunfreak25

Sorry for the lack of updates, I have been really busy. I had a little free time this evening, it's 1AM now and I just came in for the night. The Np231 is in the truck and I have new problems.
My measurements were off, just too many variables to initially take into account for length. I need 4 more inches of room for the driveshaft.

I love a good challenge and I will never give up until she rolls. Time to borrow the transmission jack again, I am going to move the GMC transfer back. Pics will be posted of the "how to". It actually looks pretty straight forward.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M211 Arthur Garcia

It wouldn't take much to convince me to come down and hold the dumb end of the tape measure. Woke up to this.

Using existing transfer case location?
Can we adapt shaft length?

jus' remember, we're right behind you in the rearview mirror

Attachments

Gunfreak25

Moved the Tcase back today. I can't believe how easy it went, now to make "adapters" to reconnect all the linkages, a few brackets and take measurements for the local driveshaft shop to modify the old shafts for length.

Pictures in the coming day's showing the details as well as dimensions for any brackets you have to make. This was really easy, any member here can do it.

I have earned Budweiser tonight.

Gunfreak25

What's this? I just watched the news and it looks like Edmonton is due for more blizzards and ball freezing frost. Better get out the sandals dave, I miss my beer buddy. :whistle:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks