• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My head's spinning

Unforgiven

Oil/Fuel Filter Numbers For Newbies

Go to NAPA & purchase:

Oil #1133 buy 2 of them

Primary fuel #3511 buy 1 of them

Secondary & final fuel #3512 buy 2 of them

NAPA#5070 gaskets buy 2 of them

Instead of NAPA you can go here:
eBay Store – C and C Equipment: Search results for.

Or if you prefer, spin-on conversions are found at:
http://www.jatonkam35s.com/Sales.htm
eBay Seller: 1jwaller: Collectibles, eBay Motors items on eBay.com
Parts, Truck Parts, M35 parts, M35A2 parts, Deuce and a half parts, Reo parts, 5 ton parts, M900 parts, military vehicles for sale, military trucks for sale, army trucks for sale, used parts, dump trucks, wreckers, M816, M818, M813, M814, M820, M35A2

PM me any additonal links & I will include them above

~M35 ROBOT AT YOUR SERVICE

Last edited:

area52

filters

If you are planning on using it as a daily driver and changing filters regularly, then spin on filters are good and no, there is not a "one stop shop" that I know of.

If you are only gonna use it occasionally, then just use the standard cartridge filters,they work fine.

Unforgiven

Probably every weekend.

BTW, pressure built up in the axles on my trip home & now I have front & rear seal leaks, grumble, grumble. Every 4x4 I ever owned had this problem. My solution is to replace the breather cap with a nylon hose + open-ended fuel filter, raised high enough that water will never get in. It lets the axles breath clean & works.

The down side is I have to replace the seals before the brakes end up like ice skates :roll:

hole

I only have his oil filter spin on kit, but he has a set up for fuel as well, contact jatonka on this forum. Big difference over stock, oil pressure in 3-4 seconds vs 12-15 in stock form.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems that everyone + grandma makes spin on conversions. Is there ONE manufacturer that makes a quality, all inclusive kit with easily found filters? I don't want to end up like that guy who found his piston on the asphalt after doing the spin-on oil conversion. From what I gather I should replace the following with spin-on kits:

1-primary fuel
2-secondary fuel
3-oil

Is that it? Is there a spin-on flux capacitor that I'm missing? I'm not going to argue over a $20 difference in the kits. I just want one that's going to function properly & not pop a gasket (literally). And it would be nice if it all came in one box from one supplier. Is there a K&N air filter for this thing? Thx.
I have no first hand knowlege of the fuel filter spin-on kits. I will say that jatonka's spin-on oil filter kits are top notch. They are very well made and would recommend them to anybody.

The truck that threw a rod did have jatonka's oil filter conversion on it (I think) but I'd say with close to 100% certainty that they didn't cause the engine failure.

Unforgiven

Oil filters (25 micron): Carquest 85133 comes with gasket.
Primary fuel filter (40 micron): Purolator 053754-01. Get this from SECO in Augusta, GA. Don't use the NAPA 3511 or equivalent for the primary, it's way too fine at 10 microns and will clog to easily.
Secondary and final fuel filters (6 micron): Carquest 86540

I lifted that from another thread. Are these what I should look for at NAPA tomorrow?

Darned I wish they made a big flashing icon with all the necessary parts numbers for 'tards like me.

Unforgiven

Thanks,

Just so I don't blow 20 quarts of oil (& 2 quarts of Slick 50) & 50 gallons of diesel on the freeway (including Redline's diesel injector lube + anti-smoke agents), seizing the engine & hurling a piston at the windshield tailgating me, & possibly igniting a 50 mph Chernobyl with marginal braking ability, let me see if I get this correct.

I will go to NAPA tomorrow b/c I'm too cheap to buy the spin-on stuff.

I will buy oil #1133, fuel #3511, & fuel #3512 twice? These will all come with the proper gaskets b/c that's what I demand & this is my reality.

I will bolt them on. There will be no "gasket this" & "mismatch that" to worry about.

Even though it will take me 1/2 an hour longer compared to spin-on, the above parts will work perfectly & save me a lot of $$.

Is that a fair assessment?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And yet, one more thread with a useless title, to wade through with all the other threads, when the next poor confused person needs to figure out what filters and gaskets are needed.

You guys just keep defeating the usefulness of the Search function and parts cross reference list.

*Useless title
*Missinformation
*Inconclusive sumarizations
*Wrong forum(to post stock info)

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And yet, one more thread with a useless title,..........
Very true!

Can't Moderators simply edit a title, just for that reason??? Or order - more than suggest - the OP to do it??

We may "forgive" him if he changes out only one word....:

My (head's) Filters spinning

:smile:

G.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, we(Mods) can and yes, the OP(original poster) can also. You will need to "edit" then "go advanced", then you can edit your own title. (Ironically, this too was recently posted in another thread).

Sometimes I do not make the corrections, for several reasons(ie. time limitations, to get a point across, because I know certain people just don't care, because some people get mad at me for changing anything they posted, etc...) Sometimes, I go back later and edit something after making a comment, and waiting to see if the OP was willing to help himself and the others(good way to get to know who cares). I would need to put in more than the 12-14 hours a day(that I probably do now) to fix all the careless mistakes people make here daily. Where does it end... I sure wish people would use capitalization and punctuation, as we were tought, starting in 1st grade elementary education. (and it's a site rule!)

Last edited:
Reactions: 73X

shootiniron

I could'nt agree more.It seems that english grammar,proper spelling, punctuation and composition have been left out of the ciriculum.It is commical at times though!

stumps

DH,

The search function searches more than just the title when it comes up with matches. This thread will come up in any search of: oil filter, or cartridge filter, or Jatonka, NAPA...

It is asking rather a lot of a newbie to know all of the subtleties of the boards. Help them out when you can.

-Chuck

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once you get the hundreds of titles(search results), the most logical way to process them, is to read the ones with titles that might be helpful, in what you are looking for. MY HEAD'S SPINNING, is not gonna be on the top of my list as descriptive to my oil filter/gasket needs.

I think making this point(and the other things I said), is pretty helpful to a new person, or an old user(just the same)

stumps

DH,

I don't disagree, but if you think like a newbie, his first and foremost need is to get information. His title of "My head's spinning" worked well enough to get you, me, and a dozen other guys that knew what he needed to know to read and comment.

It is nice for the board to be all neat and orderly, and to have titles that match content. That is where you (IMHO) come in. It is in your power to look at this thread and say, this is useful information, but has a lousy title: Let me change it to: Newbie needs help with deuce filters..." Or something that in your experience makes the most of the content.

Or, as you did, explain to the OP how to change the title on his own to something more descriptive.... though that doesn't always seem to work....

-Chuck

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it needs to work!, I can't spend my whole day here reading everything and editing the things that you guys need to know and know how to do! With this one thread, I did more than teach him how to do this correctly or correct it(now everyone that reads this, or has read this), can share it with the others, when a Moderator is not around to do so.

I been "moderating" for 6 hours today. I would love to carry on about my day, but as you have pointed out, I need to be here 24/7 to keep things neat and orderly!:oops:

Look at it this way, less than a dozen Moderators are here to help keep this site running smoothly. Over 15000 users here with at least 100 very regular guys on all the time.

Moderators manage the site, you guys need help with the technical issues. (otherwise this would just be a letters to the editor, type of thing) Dear Abby, I am not!

Last edited:

stumps

DH,

I probably don't spend enough time thanking the moderators for the work they do. Thank you moderators! You do a great job!

I agree that education needs to work, and we both know that eventually it does, but it is an ongoing process. New people filter in, and they need to learn all of the lessons you teach all over again. Some naturally learn by reading all of the books and forging out on their own, but it seems that most need to have their hands held through the preliminary steps.

As to moderation duties. I moderate 6 other lists, so I know exactly what you are up against. All 6 of the lists I moderate require me to read, and approve every message.

Thankfully, the lists I moderate don't have nearly the volume that SS has!

-Chuck