• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My head's spinning

Jake0147

When I saw the title "my head is spinning", I thought it was going to be a search engine question... It comes easily to some, however I came in here because I still havn't mastered that. Doghead, I know you get tired of it, but thank you for reminding and coaching with the search engine. Your efforts are not in vein, there are at least some people who read, appreciate this...

As to the original question-
The oil filter spin on conversion should be by far the first one that you do. While none are "needed", this one is IMO the most beneficial. They do eliminate a key "mission ready" feature of the truck, but unless you're looking at installing an arctic kit and routinely driving in sixty five below zero weather then it is a detremental feature to have for no good reason. IMHO the JATonka oil filter kit is just what you are asking for. Quick, easy, complete, very simple, and keeps the filters right where they are with no additional plumbing needed.
As for the fuel filters, I would give these a much lower priority, however they are an upgrade if you prefer to swap them as a spin-on instead of a cartridge. (IMHO the cartridge method is kind of nice, with a drain on the bottom, no mess, easy to inspect to see what critters are living in the tank, etc. If you do the spin on primary, the JATonka one will function very much the same as the oil filter adapters, "adapting what's there". There are also many kits (and parts available at parts stores to make your own) that completely replace the original filter header with one specifically made for a spin on filter. Every bit as good, but a little more involved to install. (Not much however). The "typical" filter recommended here is just as tight as your secondary/final on the other side, which in and of it's self makes them more or less redundant (which is a good thing...). This moves the secondary conversion (again IMO) down the list a little further. As far as I know, JATonka is the only one available for the secondaries.
Yes, I'm recommendong one brand. I am NOT knocking any other brand in any way, shape, or form. To my knowledge there are no performance issues with any that you select. I just very much like the approach these take, versus others that require (very minor) plumbing changes to old lines, some need extra lines, etc. I really like the "drop in and go" feature, even if it is at a slight extra cost.

Unforgiven

Sorry, I didn't know I was supposed to be publishing a technical paper with associated boring title.

I thought that spinning filters making my head spin was rather humorous.

Next time I'll keep it robotic & dry.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Humor is good, also.:roll:

conductorx

Sorry, I didn't know I was supposed to be publishing a technical paper with associated boring title.

I thought that spinning filters making my head spin was rather humorous.

Next time I'll keep it robotic & dry.
Don't feel bad. i understand your position in that SEARCH for filters will turn up thousands of posts. I understand the MODs issues in that every post takes up space in the database and they have to pay for storage space. My simple VW Forum grew to point of requiring a Virtual Server. Repeated posts asking the same questions over and over fill up the database.

As for me I am afraid to post any questions about how things work or what is the recommended this or that. I don't want to end up in the same doghouse.

Enjoy your truck, this is the best place to find information even if it isn't the best place to ask.

IMHO "G"

Somemedic

No reason to be obtuse. Unforgiven, the ball is in your court to modify the title and make it a one-stop list of where to get ALL the right filters with all the right info using an efficient line of thought. The next guy to come along with less than a hundred posts and not realizing the TM's are available here (for free as opposed to $10 on ebay) might find just what hes looking for but wouldnt since the title is a little 'off'. Kinda like the big, blinking avatar you were mentioning. Remember all those posts YOU had to sift through to come to your initial thoughts surrounding this post? Help some future brothers out...

G-Force

Dear Abby,
We LOVE the job you are doing....keep up the good work!!!!
But I think you're spending too much time on here.....
Go play with your Hoe!!!!
Sincerely,
Ann Landers

Unforgiven

I'm the new guy here. Do you really want ME to put together a filter list? I'm still not sure what the extra 2 NAPA gaskets are for. I'm assuming they are for the secondary fuel filter. I haven't even opened up the hood yet!

Okay, fine. LISTEN UP ALL NEW PEOPLE. TO CHANGE YOUR OIL & FUEL FILTERS GO TO NAPA

Make sure you buy 2 #1133 filters......1 #3511......2 #3512.....2 #5070

I'M NOT SURE WHAT THE 5070's ARE FOR, BUT TRUST ME YOU'LL NEED THEM.

And if that doesn't work buy a roll of cork & a tube of Permatex #2

stumps

I'm the new guy here. Do you really want ME to put together a filter list?
I think the hope was that you would ask the question, and others that knew the answer would provide the list...

The only bone of contention here is the title of your message: DH would have preferred that it say something more like: I'm Confused about Deuce filters..., or Deuce oil filters what's the real scoop? My head's spinning doesn't exactly give a clue about the subject matter of your post... other than perhaps the confusion part.

-Chuck

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just tried that. It didn't work.

Ok, I spoke with Mangus and he has informed me that You cannot change your titles. So now you know! Please try to put some thought into your title, before posting a new thread!

I apologise for any confusion I may may have contributed to this subject.

Probably every weekend.

BTW, pressure built up in the axles on my trip home & now I have front & rear seal leaks, grumble, grumble. Every 4x4 I ever owned had this problem. My solution is to replace the breather cap with a nylon hose + open-ended fuel filter, raised high enough that water will never get in. It lets the axles breath clean & works.

The down side is I have to replace the seals before the brakes end up like ice skates :roll:
Ditto. So I guess even though I removed the vent, chances are the seals are blown. Hello grease, good by knuckles. :eek:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks