• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Hmmwv M998 from Fort Polk TX- Rebuild

Fate3d

Hello, all Im just now getting around to posting my rebuild. The 3 month wait was not as bad. Been pretty lucky so far on my m998. Found out it only sat for a year on base. Few missing parts here and there. Able to salvage the 2 battery from the dead. Engine runs good. Here are some pics. Been restoring the hood. More to come....

Auction # 702921 to see the before pics :)

So far replace:
Fuel pump- old one had a hole in it from them over tightening
Thermostat and Fan Thermostatic Switch
Rebuilt Shift box
Driver Splash Guard
Hood hinge bar replace with steel. Alum. one snapped
Rebuilt 3 lever light switch
Rebuilt 100 amp alternator off fleabay
replace missing tailgate off fleabay
Alot of wires disconnected, kickdown cable and trans wire, oil gauge wire, fan hydraulic controller, etc.

Upgrades I found on the M998 from the Government :)
New Shocks, brake pads, winch wiring on the front, 200amp alternator upgrade but was missing the alternator.
E-Brake
Drive Shaft
Looks like the hubs were too but will know more when I get to them
Control box under dash
Have alot of new parts I can see because it was in-service till 2015
Hood top mount bracket not sure what its for. It was mounted to the top of the metal vent right above the air lift hooks. See pic below

Parts that need replacement so far I can see:
Oil guage
Coolant tank
rear driver seat base and both back seats.
xdoors
Top and cargo cover
etc.

Joe H.
Kingwood,TX

IMG_3660.jpgIMG_3661.jpgIMG_3662.jpgIMG_3682.jpgIMG_3699.jpgIMG_3706.jpgIMG_3714.jpgIMG_3387.jpgIMG_3382.jpgIMG_3383.jpgIMG_3385.JPGIMG_3386.jpgIMG_3388.JPGIMG_3389.JPG

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bet you cringed when Erik came driving up with your prize on the end of a forklift. Doesn't seem to hurt them though. You do recall crossing the state line into Louisiana to get to Ft Polk right? LOL. Good luck with the truck, seems to be coming along great. They all have issues.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bet you cringed when Erik came driving up with your prize on the end of a forklift. Doesn't seem to hurt them though. You do recall crossing the state line into Louisiana to get to Ft Polk right? LOL. Good luck with the truck, seems to be coming along great. They all have issues.

The banana republic has the best 3rd world roads!;)

Action

there should have also been a smaller bracket (with 1 stud) on the hood near the center of windshields. a panel would mount to the 3 studs.

Fate3d

When I got there we pulled up to my m998 and pushed it out and he forked her up and put it right on the trailer. Erik was the best and very professional.

Fate3d

Plan on today to drop the transmission pan and replace filter. Also install the hood rod that was missing and fab up a hood rod bracket for the splash shield. They sell that part for to much money so make it my self :) Their we be a lot other parts I will fab also. Will post pics of my work as I go along to help out others on their rebuilds. Info is power..hehe

Last edited:

Fate3d

Ok, I got the Trans filter done and was very clean inside. Beside the old filter that sat for a year. Plus I found a homemade gasket sealant o-ring in the pan. Must have been the horse power upgrade from the military lol. IMG_3717.jpgIMG_3718.jpg

recksmilparts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Action they are for the (CIPs) Combat Identification Panels. They are seen as a unique contrasting "cold spot" when viewed through a thermal sight.Tells gunner if vehicle is friend or foe (IFF)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks