• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M1008 Milemarker Winch Bumper

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Me too.

steved454

Thanks for posting it! I got a 9000lb winch for christmas! been trying to figure out How I wanted to install it on my truck.

biggestc69

Shankem-Deep, the front d-rings were kinda a pain. The tubbing that they hook to is a real odd ball size and one is longer than the other. The way we did it was to cut them in the middle (which is how we found it one is longer than the other), we then used a piece of rectangular 1/4" roughly the same size to run through the bumper attaching the front and rear peice. We decided to space the d-rings out further from the frame so that way in the back we could get a full weld all the way around where it comes out through the backside. So to answer your question we didnt notch the bumper we just cut holes in it and ran it through.

biggestc69

Stonepicker1 I hooked it up to a giant downed oak tree and it drug the truck. So I put the truck in 4 low reverse and it drug the truck about 15 ft, like it wasnt even there. The winch is a MileMarker 12000 using the stock pump. The only thing that I added was a power steering cooler on the return line for the pump and Royal Purple syn power steering fuild. After all that the power steering fluid was luke warm. I am really pleased with it. After years of owning a electric winchs and having to cycle them to keep them cool and worrying about being hard on the vehicles electircal system, now I just pull and pull and watch all my friends jaws on the ground. [thumbzup]

biggestc69

Thanks Camogriz! I cant take all the credit for it, my dad owns his own welding shop so materials and labor were free! The design was a joint effort over several adult beverages and a couple days of head scratching.

Stonepicker1

Stonepicker1 I hooked it up to a giant downed oak tree and it drug the truck. So I put the truck in 4 low reverse and it drug the truck about 15 ft, like it wasnt even there. The winch is a MileMarker 12000 using the stock pump. The only thing that I added was a power steering cooler on the return line for the pump and Royal Purple syn power steering fuild. After all that the power steering fluid was luke warm. I am really pleased with it. After years of owning a electric winchs and having to cycle them to keep them cool and worrying about being hard on the vehicles electircal system, now I just pull and pull and watch all my friends jaws on the ground. [thumbzup]
Thats great.:cool: I have the same hyd winch(not mounted yet). As long as the engine is running you are good to go. I just bought an electric 24volt Warn 18,000 as a backup.;-)

biggestc69

123mack, my brother is the photographer so tommorow when we go to ride four wheelers I'll see if he can bring his camera. Stonepicker1 thats a good idea. I thought about getting the same Warn winch to run out the back of the truck, but havent figured out mounting and the roller fairlead location. I saw where someone on here had a really good idea of removing the pintle hitch and running it out through there. I plan on getting a 105 trailer to haul scrap metal to the dump with so my pintle will probably stay where it is for now.