• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M1009 has died new curve ball thrown Updated

Salty dog

Due to the hot weather lately the CUCV has been sitting in the garage, today was nice so I thought I would take it for a drive. It started right up, idled nicely at first for a few minutes before pulling out of the garage I noticed a little white smoke in the exhaust. Hit the street and almost immediately it started to run ruff no power, in the middle of a three point turn she died. Would not restart, thankfully a neighbor was able to help me push it back into the garage. After about twenty minutes I went to start her and she fired right up and ran smooth for a couple of seconds before cutting off. Right now I am leaning towards a issue with the fuel system but would appreciate any advice I can take

Last edited by a moderator:

87cr250r

Any bubbles in the coolant? Of the 2 GM diesels I have opened, the fire ring on the head gasket cuts into the top deck and they start leaking.

Keith_J

Worth a compression check. 98% of the time it is the IP. Check usual suspects: inlet sock in tank, lift pump, fuel filter and fuel return.

Storage with ULSD containing biodiesel can cause metering valve to stick. The symptom here is dying on letting off of the throttle. Will also cause rough running at idle.

I've had great success with Diesel Mechanic in a Bottle, dosed full strength into an open IP (3 screws). Then exercise the metering valve until the sticking feeling is gone.

This treatment is a powerful detergent and is safe for full strength use. Just drain as much Diesel from the open IP and replace with DMiaB .

ssdvc

No expert.....by any stretch, but the loss of power, to me, sound like an IP issue.

nyoffroad

I'm thinking restriction in the fuel supply, I'd start with a new filter and think hard about that fuel sock in the tank. But before dropping the tank I'd run a line from the pick up side of the lift pump to a container of clean fresh fuel and see what happens, if it runs good and stays running then it's the sock or fuel line from the tank, if it still dies then it's more than likely the IP (assuming you did change out the filter). But I'm cheap so before I'd buy an IP I'd buy a new lift pump for a few bucks and try that. Good luck

Salty dog

I appreciate all the help, I am currently waiting on a new fuel filter to be delivered. While I was under the hood I decided to look at the air filter and it was nasty with the air filter removed and the housing open I tried the ignition and she fired right up and idled smoothly.

Attachments

Keith_J

How many years and miles? Almost looks like it got oil mist from the CDR. Or you were riding the bumper of a diesel that had been tuned by a fan of rolling coal.

My filters are dusty with wind blown grass.

Salty dog

How many years and miles? Almost looks like it got oil mist from the CDR. Or you were riding the bumper of a diesel that had been tuned by a fan of rolling coal.

My filters are dusty with wind blown grass.
I have owned it for less than a year, it has 79,459 miles on it. When I first got it I took it into the shop for brake work and asked them to check the fluids and filter. Apparently they skipped the filter I purchased the replacement filter that has the foam ring for the outer layer.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I appreciate all the help, I am currently waiting on a new fuel filter to be delivered. While I was under the hood I decided to look at the air filter and it was nasty with the air filter removed and the housing open I tried the ignition and she fired right up and idled smoothly.
Yikes!

I once owned a Triumph TR4A that would run ok, then die. Restart and run ok, then die. While it was dead I checked the two necessities: fuel and ignition, and both were present. So why didn't it run? I'd forgotten the other necessity - AIR! Turns out the exhaust manifold had a leak and was depositing soot directly into the air filters, causing the engine to die.

Also, any parts store or even walmart should have that filter- no need to wait for delivery. Go get a new cheap one and run it until the fancy one arrives.

Salty dog

Yikes!

I once owned a Triumph TR4A that would run ok, then die. Restart and run ok, then die. While it was dead I checked the two necessities: fuel and ignition, and both were present. So why didn't it run? I'd forgotten the other necessity - AIR! Turns out the exhaust manifold had a leak and was depositing soot directly into the air filters, causing the engine to die.

Also, any parts store or even walmart should have that filter- no need to wait for delivery. Go get a new cheap one and run it until the fancy one arrives.
I was staring at the engine compartment and remembered what my father taught me about the three things needed for combustion. I looked around and none of the shops had it in stock, Amazon had it with free shipping.

Salty dog

so I took some time off of work to play in the garage, ran the CUCV for a few minutes than shut it down and pulled the fuel filter off. Diesel spilled out of the old filter put the new one on. Snapped it in place opened the vent on the top left, disconnected the pink wire. Had my daughter turn the ignition for about ten seconds. Tried this multiple times and no fuel coming out. I even swapped to a second replacement filter with the same results.

Keith_J

IP has a transfer pump which can draw fuel, it doesn't pull air as efficiently.

Stock lift pump only moves the quantity of fuel needed, with a new and empty filter, it draws its maximum volume so this can cause debris in the tank to overload the pickup sock.

Salty dog

IP has a transfer pump which can draw fuel, it doesn't pull air as efficiently.

Stock lift pump only moves the quantity of fuel needed, with a new and empty filter, it draws its maximum volume so this can cause debris in the tank to overload the pickup sock.
Looks like I will drop the tank this weekend

87cr250r

It just sets me off that she started up fine, idled but decided that it would stop working after I replaced the filter

This is actually fairly normal if you get air in the IP. When I had a bad throttle shaft seal on mine it, the IP would drain back into the tank. The engine would start and idle fine but die about 200 feet after trying to drive it. A minute of cranking later, it would fire up and all would be normal until I parked it overnight again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks