• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M1009 has died new curve ball thrown Updated

Salty dog

I rinsed out the fuel tank, looking in it appears to have a tan/brown lining. I really didn’t see any large debris. Trying right now to find a new sending unit is proving to be a challenge. LMC states that it back ordered, and can’t find it at my local auto parts store. I believe the tank is the 27 gallon model, can I upgrade to a 31 gallon and still use the factory skid plate? I am going to replace the lift pump as soon as I get the new one in hand.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I appreciate the advice, I am going to replace the fuel filter just to make sure. I had planned to do a spin off filter conversion but will wait to make sure the vehicle is running smooth.
I replaced the stock (box) fuel filter with a spin on. All my fuel problems went away. After sitting for two years, I had to move it. It took a few seconds longer to get started but all my fuel problems went away.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I rinsed out the fuel tank, looking in it appears to have a tan/brown lining. I really didn’t see any large debris. Trying right now to find a new sending unit is proving to be a challenge. LMC states that it back ordered, and can’t find it at my local auto parts store. I believe the tank is the 27 gallon model, can I upgrade to a 31 gallon and still use the factory skid plate? I am going to replace the lift pump as soon as I get the new one in hand.
Here is one that works
https://a.co/3Mp4eUC

Last edited:

Salty dog

Well while I wait for parts to come in ( Was shipped the wrong sending unit twice ) I decided the skid plate need a little work. So I had it sandblasted, than primed and painted it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Salty dog

Where is your fuel tank skid plate?
I posted earlier that I had the skid plate sand blasted, primed and painted. I snapped the above pic and was about to install the skid plate when I realized that the bolts looked like crap, so I tossed them into the sand blast cabinet and painted them to match. When they are dry I will reinstall and post pics

87cr250r

Because you're going through the effort of blasting you should consider using an inorganic zinc primer as a first coat for best rust protection. I'm starting to see them available in rattle cans, I'll try to post a product number tomorrow.

Salty dog

Had a chance to get into the garage today and remove the lift pump, after developing Tourette’s I was able to remove the old pump. I have removed the mounting plate as well due to the pump rod being firmly wedged against it. I was getting all the parts laid out to install And ran into something interesting. I accidentally ordered two lift pumps and while they have the same part number one has a spring under the actuator arm. The old pump did not have the spring. Which pump would be recommended

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks