• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my M1009 wont Start

hensley15

Hey hows it going guys?
My m1009 died on me on my way home from work. Its like someone flipped a switch, it cranks over strong but wont Fire up. So I had it Towed home the Next Morning and the **** thing fired right up lol. I let it run for two hrs with no Issues the next morning it would crank over but not start up ugh.......so today i put a new fuel filter, removed pink wire, and cranked it over.It has great fuel flow from the bleeder but again it wouldn't start. I also replaced a couple vacuum lines with the hopes that was causing the issue but no luck. It has new alternators, starter, glow plugs& solenoid. Any Advice is welcomed please

:doghead:

cucvrus

Open the fuel lines at the nozzles and see if they get wet. use a 3/4" wrench and if no fuel the pump took a crap and left. mine just done that last Saturday. Check that out and report back. Make sure the red wire is connected on the pump and crank it over.

cucvrus

No you open the nuts on the fuel delivery nozzles. All 8 of them. Then crank it over and see if they spew fuel. The nozzles are what some call the injectors.

rsh4364

If you have good fuel flow to filter it's probably not your lift pump,Crack the injectors to see if you have fuel from ip.Vacuum lines have nothing to to with how these run,they only supply vacuum to trans.

hensley15

If you have good fuel flow to filter it's probably not your lift pump,Crack the injectors to see if you have fuel from ip.Vacuum lines have nothing to to with how these run,they only supply vacuum to trans.
OK Thanks , i really hope its not my IP lol i was hoping it was my FUEL pump I will crack the lines Tomorrow

BradBMI

I have a M1009 trans dosent like to shift anyone know if the vacuum line to the trans would affect the shifting? if i drive and get higher rpm she will then shift does it by itself cant shift with the gas pedal

cucvrus

I have a M1009 trans doesn't like to shift anyone know if the vacuum line to the trans would affect the shifting? if i drive and get higher rpm she will then shift does it by itself cant shift with the gas pedal
Yes the CUCV TH400 transmission shifts with the aid of the vacuum produced by the vacuum pump located at the center rear of the engine behind the air filter housing. Remove the hose you should hear and feel vacuum from the out of the vacuum pump at idle. Check and replace all the small rubber hoses leading to the shift valve on the right side of the injection pump. (Right is as you sit in the drivers seat.) Top vacuum hose goes to the steel tube running on the right side of the engine to the transmission modulator on the right side front of the transmission and the bottom hose on the shift valve receives the vacuum directly from the vacuum pump. Replace all these hoses and take it for a ride and check back with the results. Good Luck.

cucvrus

I really hope that's not the case lol it looks like a complicated Job to do setting the timing on it, Im gonna check the fuel pump tomorrow :gimp:
Timing the injection pump is simply lining up the line on the injection pump to the line on the timing gear cover. No special tools involved. I am in the process of changing an injection pump on my Crown of Thorns M1009. It is about a 2.5 hour job and can be real enjoyable and gives you the opportunity to reseal the valve covers and clean and detail all the engine brackets and fuel lines. As you know I will be posting pictures. Changing an injection pump is fairly easy with the correct tools. Good Luck. Ask questions if you need to. I always remove the entire spider from the engine when I change pumps. It makes it much easier. IMHO. Your experience may differ. Fair enough get it done by whatever method works for you.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you remove the pink wire, you have shut off the fuel(at the IP). That's what shuts the truck off.

2deuce

There is a return line off the injection pump that gets clogged with pieces of the pump. Clean that oriface and you can usually get home before it clogs again. You will need to replace your pump in this case as it is on it's last legs.

cucvrus

hello, I took the bolt lose on the injector on the passenger side removed the pink wire and cranked it over and nothing came out ugh IP pump ?
You did well if you loosened the nut on the nozzle. the drivers side is easier to get to but be that as it may. You need to leave the red/pink wire hooked up to the pump and crank it for a few seconds. You should see visible signs of fuel spewed from the connection. Not just a damp spot a visible fluid sign. If not you are in need of an injection pump. Hard to be 100% sure since you seem new to this. But that is my guess from afar.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks