• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M816 is home!!

area52

First of all, a very big thank you to 100dollarman, Mark, for storing it a lot longer than I thought. He also loaded it on the trailer. Thank you very much!!

Got here yesterday, the trailer was a RGN - removable gooseneck. The driver dropped the trailer and I pulled it off with my deuce. One slightly nervous moment when I pulled into my yard, which is soft dirt/sand. But the good ol' deuce was up to the challenge and pulled it right in.

Now just waiting for the wind to die down so I don't kill myself with the hood.

Hope she fires up with some batteries. Sorry about the dark pictures, sun was setting.

Attachments

area52

Stryker - I plan on starting a small business pulling the oil and gas trucks out of the mud and a small crane business hopefully.

Kevin - I plan on repainting it the same desert camo when ever I get the mechanical side done. Come on up this way, door is always open :grin:

area52

I haven't been able to go over it very well so I am gonna do that this weekend. I did notice some wires disconnected under the dash, the headlights are loose, mirrors are gone, just some little stuff for now. I am gonna get some batteries and open the hood when the wind dies down and check everything out before I try to start it up. Hope nothing major is wrong.

Also - It has a Jake brake!! Hope that works too.:razz:

Wade I made some stands that hold the m816 4 feet off the ground . so it's easy to work under it .I removed the rear winch ( the whole reason I bought a wrecker with out axles ) I have the winch mounted on the back of my m52a2 it works nice .I,m working on gin poles to use to swap the motor out of the 43 white 666 I want to start that project this summer . if you need any thing let me know .

100dollarman

Wade-- you are welcome! I was a little worried about how I was going to get it on the trailer, but we got it! It was funny because first I tried to push it on with my forklift---- haha- didnt even budge! Then, we pulled it with a CUCV pick up- it moved, but wouldnt pull it onto the trailer!!!LOL So finally I brought out the big gun ---- my new 5 ton I just picked up the day before---- pulled it on no problem!!!

BTW- for the guys who know about 5tons (I do Not!)---- this was the first time I drove the new (or any) 5ton. Its a M818. I was looking for a switch or lever to engage the front drive axle---- maybe a dumb question, but , is it in 10 wheel drive all the time? Or when you put it in low range? Or ??? Thanks.

Also, my plan for it is to have 6 big tires and cut a 2.5t bed to fit---- whaddya think? (sorry for the slight hijack!)

Attachments

area52

Wade I made some stands that hold the m816 4 feet off the ground . so it's easy to work under it .I removed the rear winch ( the whole reason I bought a wrecker with out axles ) I have the winch mounted on the back of my m52a2 it works nice .I,m working on gin poles to use to swap the motor out of the 43 white 666 I want to start that project this summer . if you need any thing let me know .

Kenny,

So the body is up 4 feet??!:shock: Holy crap that must be something to see.

If I get this going, I can come over and help you pull that motor if you need me to.

Might be easier than gin poles.

Mark - I answered your question in your other post.

dm22630

BTW- for the guys who know about 5tons (I do Not!)---- this was the first time I drove the new (or any) 5ton. Its a M818. I was looking for a switch or lever to engage the front drive axle---- maybe a dumb question, but , is it in 10 wheel drive all the time? Or when you put it in low range? Or ??? Thanks.

Also, my plan for it is to have 6 big tires and cut a 2.5t bed to fit---- whaddya think? (sorry for the slight hijack!)

800 Series 5 tons are Sprag front axles. They dont have air-shift like some deuces. IF the sprag is working, then when the trucks senses slippage, it auto-engages the front axle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks