• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M816 is home!!

area52

First of all, a very big thank you to 100dollarman, Mark, for storing it a lot longer than I thought. He also loaded it on the trailer. Thank you very much!!

Got here yesterday, the trailer was a RGN - removable gooseneck. The driver dropped the trailer and I pulled it off with my deuce. One slightly nervous moment when I pulled into my yard, which is soft dirt/sand. But the good ol' deuce was up to the challenge and pulled it right in.

Now just waiting for the wind to die down so I don't kill myself with the hood.

Hope she fires up with some batteries. Sorry about the dark pictures, sun was setting.

Attachments

area52

Stryker - I plan on starting a small business pulling the oil and gas trucks out of the mud and a small crane business hopefully.

Kevin - I plan on repainting it the same desert camo when ever I get the mechanical side done. Come on up this way, door is always open :grin:

area52

I haven't been able to go over it very well so I am gonna do that this weekend. I did notice some wires disconnected under the dash, the headlights are loose, mirrors are gone, just some little stuff for now. I am gonna get some batteries and open the hood when the wind dies down and check everything out before I try to start it up. Hope nothing major is wrong.

Also - It has a Jake brake!! Hope that works too.:razz:

Wade I made some stands that hold the m816 4 feet off the ground . so it's easy to work under it .I removed the rear winch ( the whole reason I bought a wrecker with out axles ) I have the winch mounted on the back of my m52a2 it works nice .I,m working on gin poles to use to swap the motor out of the 43 white 666 I want to start that project this summer . if you need any thing let me know .

100dollarman

Wade-- you are welcome! I was a little worried about how I was going to get it on the trailer, but we got it! It was funny because first I tried to push it on with my forklift---- haha- didnt even budge! Then, we pulled it with a CUCV pick up- it moved, but wouldnt pull it onto the trailer!!!LOL So finally I brought out the big gun ---- my new 5 ton I just picked up the day before---- pulled it on no problem!!!

BTW- for the guys who know about 5tons (I do Not!)---- this was the first time I drove the new (or any) 5ton. Its a M818. I was looking for a switch or lever to engage the front drive axle---- maybe a dumb question, but , is it in 10 wheel drive all the time? Or when you put it in low range? Or ??? Thanks.

Also, my plan for it is to have 6 big tires and cut a 2.5t bed to fit---- whaddya think? (sorry for the slight hijack!)

Attachments

area52

Wade I made some stands that hold the m816 4 feet off the ground . so it's easy to work under it .I removed the rear winch ( the whole reason I bought a wrecker with out axles ) I have the winch mounted on the back of my m52a2 it works nice .I,m working on gin poles to use to swap the motor out of the 43 white 666 I want to start that project this summer . if you need any thing let me know .

Kenny,

So the body is up 4 feet??!:shock: Holy crap that must be something to see.

If I get this going, I can come over and help you pull that motor if you need me to.

Might be easier than gin poles.

Mark - I answered your question in your other post.

dm22630

BTW- for the guys who know about 5tons (I do Not!)---- this was the first time I drove the new (or any) 5ton. Its a M818. I was looking for a switch or lever to engage the front drive axle---- maybe a dumb question, but , is it in 10 wheel drive all the time? Or when you put it in low range? Or ??? Thanks.

Also, my plan for it is to have 6 big tires and cut a 2.5t bed to fit---- whaddya think? (sorry for the slight hijack!)

800 Series 5 tons are Sprag front axles. They dont have air-shift like some deuces. IF the sprag is working, then when the trucks senses slippage, it auto-engages the front axle.