• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M886...She's a WINNER!

hurmit4life

I had the opportunity back in October to enter my M886 in a local car show...sponsored by my girlfriend's employer (a large auto/home/life insurance company). The car show was actually a fund raiser in the company car lot for the United Way. I thought it would be a great excuse to take a day off work, take the ole gal out in the public, and to help raise money for a charity.

Throughout the day, folks (employees of the company) would stop by and ask "What is that??" or "I remember those back in the day...." I had a great time talking about the truck and its history....where I was told it came from....how I "accidentally" bought it on eBay...then did the mechanical rebuild, etc. And then the employees would "vote" for their favorite vehicle as they went back to work. It was a good day. (We had a fly-over early in the day by two A-10 Warthogs...a coincidence...but still really cool!)

The next day (Friday), my girlfriend sent me an email and let me know that I had won FIRST PLACE in the "Open Category" as voted by the employees. I thought that was awesome...that enough people voted for the M886...over dune buggy's and Corvettes and hot rod trucks...for me to take home a trophy.

Here are a few shots of the truck in the parking lot. And one attempt at getting a photo of the A-10's as they flew overhead.

20121011_095536.jpg20121011_095509.jpg20121011_103807.jpg20121011_112401-1.jpg

And a few days after this....the electrical system started to short out and she stopped running. Good thing it made it to the car show and back! (And if anyone has a lead on a wiring harness for this...let me know. I posted a thread in the "parts wanted" forum)

Not bad. New water pump?

I remember using one of these ambulances at a rifle range at FT McCoy back in the 70s or very early 80s as an aid post in case some snuffy hurt himself. I forgot and left the rear compartment lights on however throughout the long day I was set up and, as you can probably imagine, the truck wouldn't start when I was released to go back to the TMP to turn it in. I had the rough edge of my sergeant's tongue when I finally did get back at the end of a hook. Live and learn as they say.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks