• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M886...She's a WINNER!

hurmit4life

I had the opportunity back in October to enter my M886 in a local car show...sponsored by my girlfriend's employer (a large auto/home/life insurance company). The car show was actually a fund raiser in the company car lot for the United Way. I thought it would be a great excuse to take a day off work, take the ole gal out in the public, and to help raise money for a charity.

Throughout the day, folks (employees of the company) would stop by and ask "What is that??" or "I remember those back in the day...." I had a great time talking about the truck and its history....where I was told it came from....how I "accidentally" bought it on eBay...then did the mechanical rebuild, etc. And then the employees would "vote" for their favorite vehicle as they went back to work. It was a good day. (We had a fly-over early in the day by two A-10 Warthogs...a coincidence...but still really cool!)

The next day (Friday), my girlfriend sent me an email and let me know that I had won FIRST PLACE in the "Open Category" as voted by the employees. I thought that was awesome...that enough people voted for the M886...over dune buggy's and Corvettes and hot rod trucks...for me to take home a trophy.

Here are a few shots of the truck in the parking lot. And one attempt at getting a photo of the A-10's as they flew overhead.

20121011_095536.jpg20121011_095509.jpg20121011_103807.jpg20121011_112401-1.jpg

And a few days after this....the electrical system started to short out and she stopped running. Good thing it made it to the car show and back! (And if anyone has a lead on a wiring harness for this...let me know. I posted a thread in the "parts wanted" forum)

Not bad. New water pump?

I remember using one of these ambulances at a rifle range at FT McCoy back in the 70s or very early 80s as an aid post in case some snuffy hurt himself. I forgot and left the rear compartment lights on however throughout the long day I was set up and, as you can probably imagine, the truck wouldn't start when I was released to go back to the TMP to turn it in. I had the rough edge of my sergeant's tongue when I finally did get back at the end of a hook. Live and learn as they say.