• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M931 Recovery and Restoration thread...

goldneagle

I won my truck on GL 7-6-12. I had Jeff Davis recover it for me on 7-11-12. H towed it to his yard and stored it for me until today 7-14-12.

We left my house at 8:00 AM and arrived there at 9:38 AM. We checked over the truck and after adding 15 gallons of diesel fuel we attempted to start her. We had help from another Steelsoldiers member that had flown in from NY to recover his truck. We used his truck to jump mine and after a few attempts she started right up. The linkage on the accelerator needed some penetrating oil and lube to loosen it up. Tried to move her and she was shifting smoothly. Had to add a little air tot he front tires and we were good to hit the road.

We took a tour of Jeff's place and I plan on buying a lot of parts from him. The prices are great and he is a great guy to deal with! If anyone in our area needs truck parts from 900 series truck as well as others Jeff is the man to call.

We hit the road with my wife following me in the chase car (I mean areal chase car Crown Vic Interceptor) . We stopped at a gas station that Jeff recommended and I filled up the one fuel tank.

After that we hit the road and drove the remainder 80 miles back to my house. Truck handled great. We did 60 MPH the whole way on the interstate. The only things that were not great were the driver's seat killed my butt. The truck bounces a lot because it has no weight in the back! Other than that it was a pleasant experience.

I want to thank Jeff Davis for the recovery and help heave us in getting the truck road worthy! Also enjoyed the tour of the premises.

I highly recommend him for recovery of vehicles off Camp Shelby in Mississippi.

Last edited by a moderator:

goldneagle

I tried to restart the truck on Sunday but the batteries were dead! So I put the charger on them and tried to bring them back to life. No luck they just would not go past 19 to 20 volts combined. I checked all the connections and everything was tight.

Monday I removed the batteries and checked out the dates on them. 2 were early 2004 and 2 were early 2005. I know from past experience that battery life averages about 5 years or so. These batteries were way past that!

Today I drove to Baton Rouge to the Interstate Battery Center. After searching I grabbed 4 industrial batteries with 950 CCA each. 2 were regular post and 2 are top screw terminal. $40 each for reconditioned batteries. They are only 4 months old! Tested and cleaned. 90 day warranty. Same as the blems. They did not have any selection of blems this time. Only some 650 CCA batteries.

I am including pictures of the batteries in the box but not hooked up yet. The board in the picture was used to check the clearance above the batteries. I am going to put some rubber mats under them (had to remove the 5/4" mahogany boards that were under the originals) I have some left over 3/4" rubber mat material from the mats in the back of the M109.

I will also modify the battery retaining frames to fit the new sets.

Attachments

pyro1955

Those Batteries look good, I don't know if it's common, but My backhoe had a screw type terminal battery with the post adaptor's on it, the terminals basically melted off the screw and caused me alot of grief, I do not know if they were loose before I bought the backhoe, but I now steer clear of the screw terminal batteries if i'm using them in something that requires the posts. The problem got so bad that I almost lost my Backhoe to an electrical fire. Not to scare anyone, but be careful.

goldneagle

Those Batteries look good, I don't know if it's common, but My backhoe had a screw type terminal battery with the post adaptor's on it, the terminals basically melted off the screw and caused me alot of grief, I do not know if they were loose before I bought the backhoe, but I now steer clear of the screw terminal batteries if i'm using them in something that requires the posts. The problem got so bad that I almost lost my Backhoe to an electrical fire. Not to scare anyone, but be careful.
I installed those adapters myself and they are on tight. I used a crescent wrench to turn the last 1/4" of thread and made it tight. I would guess spur's were loose and there was a lot of resistance there due to bad contact- which created a lot of heat.

goldneagle

Air ride seat hookup location?

I bought a used air ride seat for the M931 tractor. i was wondering if anyone knew a safe location to tie into for air feed to the seat. I know there are service valves in the M818 series and M35 series trucks. Did not get a chance to thoroughly search the M931 cab.

Hopefully someone here has a good suggestion.

Attachments

Danl

Danl M915A1

on the 915 the fift wheel king pin locks on no air you send air to it to unlock it I would Tee into the Line befor the sending lever. I wouldn't fear sharing air with the king pin and the air line is rite ther on the right side of the seat, and the king pin fails safe

goldneagle

on the 915 the fift wheel king pin locks on no air you send air to it to unlock it I would Tee into the Line befor the sending lever. I wouldn't fear sharing air with the king pin and the air line is rite ther on the right side of the seat, and the king pin fails safe
Totally different trucks. No 5th wheel air release.

jw4x4

931/932 series have solid mount 5th wheels. I wonder if there are and spare ports in any of the air tanks? Hopefully be able to unthread a plug and plumb the air from there. Or just run a tee from an existing line up through the floor on the right hand side of the driver's seat where the parking brake/transfer shifter are. I will take a closer look.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Be extremely careful that the air tanks are empty before pulling a fitting. That can turn into a bullet if not.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks