• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M998 Arrived Today (could questions)

DCIV

How about a picture of the "com" box. In fact pictures of your truck in general. Congrats.
It wasn't in any of the pictures, maybe all humvee's have them and sorry for the picture it was at night but I wanted to get it to you.

IMG_6545.jpg
Congrats on your purchase.
The belts do dance a bit, mine have been like that for a year, the horn is located near the front diff, just crawl under and you you see it.
I drive mine nearly every day, but before I did, I spent quite a few hours checking everything.
The best thing to do is to change all fluids, engine oil/ coolant, trans, diff and hubs, etc...
I replaced all of the lights on mine, most of them had rust, no more issues.
It's a fun toy, if you maintain well, it is very reliable, like I said do all of the maintenance first and then just do the upkeep and you will have a great time
I took a video and sent it to someone, I will upload it and get you something so you can tell me. Quick question on the hubs, my jack isn't rated to pick up the humvee, I have seen youtube videos of people doing it but they always have the wheel off, do I need to take the wheel off?

Congrats on your new toy.

If you belts dance more than normal, a video would be nice hint hint, make sure to check that your power steering bracket is intact on the lower adjustment slide. Another thing to check is that the 'b@stard washer' is mounted correctly on the back bracket on the alternator.

If your horn doesnt work with the light switch on, its easy enough to remove the pickup contact from the steering column, its only 2 skrews. Clean it with emery cloth on the shaft if you see any corrosion, and you can bend the tab just a little to make it rub better. While you have the pickup dismounted, touch it to ground to verify the horn in fact does work correctly. if that doesnt work, and the horn works by grounding the pickup out, take out the horn button, and check that the wire is connected to the button, might have to dig out the wire from the column with a dental tool, just dont pull it too far out there isnt much slack.

Fuel filters, fuel filters, always keep good clean filters in, and always carry at least 1 spare. That is always the first place I start on a surge or stuble, next was addressed with the water in fuel tank and old fuel. Diesel fuel is good for a few years with no water and no addatives.
I am leaning towards the batteries being the cause of the surge actually, I am going to replace those on Sunday. If that doesnt work a fuel filter is next and sounds like I should just order two or three. Thank you for the advice!

IMG_6536.jpg She is trying to blend in
IMG_6537.jpgBig and little brother!
IMG_6542.jpgWife comes home tomorrow and this is where I said I would be keeping her.
IMG_6539.jpg My upstairs garage is 25x24, the humvee fit with ease, lots of people asked "will it fit in your garage?" My downstairs garage is a little tighter but it fits there as well.
DJI00484.jpgThis is my house, Just trying to give you an idea of what my driveway looks like, the downstairs is all unfinished and half of it is garage!

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
anything you do to the hubs will pretty much require tire removal. you might be able to check/fill the oil without removing, but since its new to you, I would suggest new oil in all the hubs, diff, xfer, xmsn, eng. That way you KNOW its good oil, and it gives you a '0' hour/mile to start at

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
anything you do to the hubs will pretty much require tire removal. you might be able to check/fill the oil without removing, but since its new to you, I would suggest, like LouWon did, new oil in all the hubs, diff, xfer, xmsn, eng. That way you KNOW its good oil, and it gives you a '0' hour/mile to start at

orgnal

It wasn't in any of the pictures, maybe all humvee's have them and sorry for the picture it was at night but I wanted to get it to you.

View attachment 701649

I took a video and sent it to someone, I will upload it and get you something so you can tell me. Quick question on the hubs, my jack isn't rated to pick up the humvee, I have seen youtube videos of people doing it but they always have the wheel off, do I need to take the wheel off?

I am leaning towards the batteries being the cause of the surge actually, I am going to replace those on Sunday. If that doesnt work a fuel filter is next and sounds like I should just order two or three. Thank you for the advice!

View attachment 701650 She is trying to blend in
View attachment 701651Big and little brother!
View attachment 701648Wife comes home tomorrow and this is where I said I would be keeping her.
View attachment 701652 My upstairs garage is 25x24, the humvee fit with ease, lots of people asked "will it fit in your garage?" My downstairs garage is a little tighter but it fits there as well.
View attachment 701653This is my house, Just trying to give you an idea of what my driveway looks like, the downstairs is all unfinished and half of it is garage!
Nice home! Nice setup! Thank you for sharing

McReddy

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure. I have one but do not have the 2 cables in your set up for power and radio connector so I am not sure how it works. That speaker is for newer applications and harris radio set ups not usually seen on the sincgars set ups. It could work through the vic 3 intercom with Augi's adapter box to a cell phone but you really need to talk to someone who knows and has been down the road. It is on my list but i have not yet dived in.

DCIV

I am not sure. I have one but do not have the 2 cables in your set up for power and radio connector so I am not sure how it works. That speaker is for newer applications and harris radio set ups not usually seen on the sincgars set ups. It could work through the vic 3 intercom with Augi's adapter box to a cell phone but you really need to talk to someone who knows and has been down the road. It is on my list but i have not yet dived in.
Interesting enough, I changed out the batteries. Well there was a zipped tied peace of paper on a cable, well there was a fuse. The fuse was blown and in the zip tied bag it were fuses. That said it was too that device. Well I changed the fuse, not that I can do anything about it but odd that it was blown.

DCIV

K, so swapped out batteries and made sure alternator is putting out proper voltage. Still feels like its "lurching" going up my driveway. Now its time to get as much old diesel out of this thing as possible and change the fuel filter. I have read up on how to swap out fuel filters and how to get air out of the system, still confused about what if air is on the other side of the fuel filter but I am sure I will figure that out. Real question is, where does everyone buy their fuel filters from?

Worried that my fuel gauge isn't working either at this point. The oil pressure gauge goes to 60 and stays...not matter what. The volt gauge reads low. My humvee apparently came with 3/4's a tank of fuel but I am second guess that as well at this point.

orgnal

K, so swapped out batteries and made sure alternator is putting out proper voltage. Still feels like its "lurching" going up my driveway. Now its time to get as much old diesel out of this thing as possible and change the fuel filter. I have read up on how to swap out fuel filters and how to get air out of the system, still confused about what if air is on the other side of the fuel filter but I am sure I will figure that out. Real question is, where does everyone buy their fuel filters from?

Worried that my fuel gauge isn't working either at this point. The oil pressure gauge goes to 60 and stays...not matter what. The volt gauge reads low. My humvee apparently came with 3/4's a tank of fuel but I am second guess that as well at this point.
With the fuel gauge, it is usually the sending unit that is the problem.

McReddy

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Fuel Filters are military specific only. On ebay, there is usually a vendor that sells all 3 with oring gasket for $40ish- fuel filter, water separator middle element, and vent line filter.

When I changed mine all I had to do was crank it a few times to purge air then it started. Nothing special.

I would recommend using a diesel conditioner for Bio algae with water dispersion and a cleaner additive. I personally like the Diesel Kleen white and gray bottles. YMMV

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting enough, I changed out the batteries. Well there was a zipped tied peace of paper on a cable, well there was a fuse. The fuse was blown and in the zip tied bag it were fuses. That said it was too that device. Well I changed the fuse, not that I can do anything about it but odd that it was blown.
Is this the power feed for the speaker? If so It should be low amperage. If it blows, then you know why they left it behind..... Bad speaker or frayed wiring...

Normally for electronics in a hmmwv, they add buss bars for all the hookups to the sides of the battery case.

DCIV

Had my first small off roading fun in the humvee. Came home and the wife said she thinks there is a dead deer in the yard. I go down and look and sure enough, someone shot a deer and didn't follow it and it died in my yard. Called up a bunch of "hunters" they didn't know what to do with it. Called up twa and they told me to haul it up to the street and call the trash people (no telling how much time that would take). So I called up some good ol boy farmers that live out near me. Their family bought land back when TN became a state. I went and picked him up, he took me out on a section of his land 247 acres worth! We backed up to a sink hole and dumped the deer in it. It was some amazing land and got to drive on stuff that most of you would laugh at but stuff I would not have taken a suburban on. Over some good wet rocks, lots of ruts and peaks. Pretty cool honestly, the humvee didn't skip a beat. Had to hose out the blood when I got back and just made me think if mine had ever seen any blood before.

Other than a lot of tire bounce at 40 and the gas gauge...STILL not moved off of 3/4 a tank I'm loving it. Also everyone was happy that I had it and wasn't wanting to borrow anyone's ride!

Wire Fox

Had my first small off roading fun in the humvee. Came home and the wife said she thinks there is a dead deer in the yard. I go down and look and sure enough, someone shot a deer and didn't follow it and it died in my yard. Called up a bunch of "hunters" they didn't know what to do with it. Called up twa and they told me to haul it up to the street and call the trash people (no telling how much time that would take). So I called up some good ol boy farmers that live out near me. Their family bought land back when TN became a state. I went and picked him up, he took me out on a section of his land 247 acres worth! We backed up to a sink hole and dumped the deer in it. It was some amazing land and got to drive on stuff that most of you would laugh at but stuff I would not have taken a suburban on. Over some good wet rocks, lots of ruts and peaks. Pretty cool honestly, the humvee didn't skip a beat. Had to hose out the blood when I got back and just made me think if mine had ever seen any blood before.

Other than a lot of tire bounce at 40 and the gas gauge...STILL not moved off of 3/4 a tank I'm loving it. Also everyone was happy that I had it and wasn't wanting to borrow anyone's ride!
Glad you got to enjoy your HMMWV with a good mission...but why does everyone always try to dump things into sinkholes? Sinkholes pretty much form because of underground water and quite often are going to be an extremely shallow path to a high water table, so dumping things into a sinkhole means running a very high risk of contaminating the water table for everyone in the area.

EDIT: Here's a link with some brief information about the subject. http://ikc.caves.org/sinkhole-dumping

Last edited:

Nightstalker

Sounds like a fun time!!
If you would... could you measure the area around the front seat. I don't have one yet, but can't wait until I do! I want to see if my air ride seat would fit in there our of my Pet.

DCIV

You are more right than you know, this place has a pond that goes up and down with the lake. I just dumped it where he said and honestly the animals will eat it before it contaminates anything.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks