• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My MEP-803a experience

lonesouth

One last thing before I go to bed. Unplug the A2, Fault Indicator, and try an start it up. If it runs, change the A2 and see if that fixes it. Have seen this problem before.
Unplugged the fault indicator panel, A2, and it started right up.

going to swap it into the other generator and see if the condition follows the panel.

Is the a schematic for the panel? Is it something we can repair?

Last edited:

lonesouth

son of a biscuit...

I removed A2, tried it in the other generator, no issues. Reinstall original A2 back into faulty generator...the darn thing starts right up. I don't know what to think, except maybe some relay got stuck and the jostling of R&R freed it. Regardless, I'm going to put it all back together, check fluids, and load test it tomorrow.

Guyfang

Staff member
If you continue to have the problem, I would put another A2 in it and then run the set on a load test. I was rather hoping it might be the LOP. It's cheaper.

Its very rare, for a problem to just "go away", or "fix itself".

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
S1 in run, negative probe on rivet at dead crank switch
143C = 11.76
126A = 20.67

those should both be 0 or close to it <1V?

No. One side, 126A should be 24 volts. The other, depending on the gen set running or not should be 24 volts, or 0 volts.

Last edited:

csheath

Could have been a bad connection that was cured in the transfer.

I had a problem with voltage dropping on L1 under load. After scouring all the connections, recrimping, cleaning, and such the problem went away. I don't know if any of my actions fixed it but it has remained fixed after several uses and monthly tests.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could have been a bad connection that was cured in the transfer.

I had a problem with voltage dropping on L1 under load. After scouring all the connections, recrimping, cleaning, and such the problem went away. I don't know if any of my actions fixed it but it has remained fixed after several uses and monthly tests.
Howdy,

exactly, it could have been the simple action of pulling the connector and re-installing. It is now making good contact across all pins.

Dock Rocker

If you continue to have the problem, I would put another A2 in it and then run the set on a load test. I was rather hoping it might be the LOP. It's cheaper.

My dad told it to me this way a long time ago. Son, metal never heals. He was right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

csheath

Does it have 24+ volts at starter to ground?
I never saw a straight answer on this question. Low voltage is right up there with bad grounds for causing electrical anomalies. If it has a dead cell in one battery, a poor connection is causing low voltage, or the charging system isn't working as it should, that should be addressed before anything else.

lonesouth

I never saw a straight answer on this question. Low voltage is right up there with bad grounds for causing electrical anomalies. If it has a dead cell in one battery, a poor connection is causing low voltage, or the charging system isn't working as it should, that should be addressed before anything else.
Sorry, I misread this question as 'is starting voltage getting to the starter?'. I'll check it out tomorrow.

csheath

Sorry, I misread this question as 'is starting voltage getting to the starter?'. I'll check it out tomorrow.
Not trying to call you out. Thought maybe you were practicing for a run at county commissioner or something. :)

I was just wondering why you were only reading 20 volts on pins that should have 24+. Any time you have a low voltage reading you need to start at the batteries and follow through till you find the cause of the drop.

lonesouth

It took some doing, but I was able to get other gen back up on the trailer. I don't have a lift or a forklift, so it took some thinking. I backed the trailer into a ditch in front of my house, then, blocked up the front high enough to where the back was the same height as my other trailer, at the top of the ditch. Used some 2x4s and a come-along to winch the generator onto the trailer. Once up, I moved the trailer to level ground, and used a floor jack to move it the last few inches into place.
It is fairly well balanced now, perhaps 150lbs tongue weight when level. Once I put the fuel tank in front, it will be better. I'll be mounting a breaker box and 4 120, 1 30, and 1 50 amp outlets, on the back.

It was wet in the picture, I still haven't decided if I'm going to paint the generator. I do need to do some touchup on the trailer.
IMG_3489.jpg

lonesouth

Cranked it up and let it run for about an hour while I setup my load bank. Unfortunately, my pool timer cut off the pump while I had power going to my water heater elements, and poof, they let out the magic smoke. csheath was nice enough to loan me his heat strip load bank. I spent about an hour wiring up a 50amp RV outlet to the side, got everything buttoned up and started the generator to warm up while I put away the tools. And then...it shutdown with no malfunction lights. I was able to get it to crank a few times after that, but it would take about 20 seconds to catch and then it ran poorly at low RPMs and eventually shut down. I narrowed it down to a fuel issue. I checked the bowl on the filter and it was dry. Moving upstream, I checked the pump output and it was practically dry. I swapped the fuel pump from my other generator and had the same issue, no output. I'm thinking that the pickup is clogged.

Can I use air from my shop compressor to blow out the feed line from the tank to the pump?

Guyfang

Staff member
Yes, just don't over do it.

The pickup could be clogged, but what you really need to do is see if the pump is getting voltage. If it is getting voltage, THEN try the compressed air trick.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
clogged pickup. back up and running...for now.
Howdy,
That sounds like Guy's explanation a while ago. You might have stuff floating around in the tank, and gets stuck on the pickup, after shut off, it floats to the bottom. After starting it again, it floats around and gets stuck on the pickup.

You might try emptying the tank, and swabbing it out clean.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks