• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My MEP-803a experience

lonesouth

Sold the genset on the trailer.

Looking at fuel storage options and spending $400 on a transfer tank just doesn't make sense. Craigslist has a couple of 55 gallon drums with locking lids and bungs, formerly used in spray polyurethane foam, for $10 each. Going to pick up 2x A side barrels and clean up. A side is MDI and pMDI. The recommended decontamination is flushing with water and fill with water for 48 hours, then dry thoroughly. Should be GTG after that.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sold the genset on the trailer.

Looking at fuel storage options and spending $400 on a transfer tank just doesn't make sense. Craigslist has a couple of 55 gallon drums with locking lids and bungs, formerly used in spray polyurethane foam, for $10 each. Going to pick up 2x A side barrels and clean up. A side is MDI and pMDI. The recommended decontamination is flushing with water and fill with water for 48 hours, then dry thoroughly. Should be GTG after that.
I've found black plastic drums an excellent fuel storage solution. I prefer to buy ones used to transport cooking oils. They are easy to clean and any trace residual oil is no issue for the fuel system of the generator.

Chainbreaker

I've found black plastic drums an excellent fuel storage solution. I prefer to buy ones used to transport cooking oils. They are easy to clean and any trace residual oil is no issue for the fuel system of the generator.
Just make sure its not one used for coconut oil. I bought a metal 55 gal drum that was used for coconut oil and when I bought it in early spring (low temp) the coconut oil was like candle wax about 1/4" thick stuck to sides & bottom. I could have heated the drum to remove "most" of it but I wouldn't want to later use it to store generator diesel (I only needed it to store used motor oil). If any residual coconut oil made its way while warm & liquefied during the heat of summer and then later cooled in fall/winter, it could really gum up the works in a generator's fuel system. Perhaps there is some kind of solvent that could be used to flush coconut oil but that only adds to the cost of the drum, best to avoid. Peanut oil would seem to be the ultimate cooking oil to have mixed in with diesel.

csheath

I wouldn't go with anything other than an oil drum. Mine were one time use motor oil so no clean out was needed.

csheath

picked up a used amsoil 15w40 drum, filled it with regular diesel, ORD was only $0.30-0.40 cheaper and it was 20 miles away, not worth the trip.
It isn't any cheaper having it delivered either. BUT it is worth it to me not to have to haul cans. My 87 gallon delivery on Thursday came out to $2.59 per gallon after sales tax. they don't charge road tax but unless you are a farm for profit they charge sales tax. If I were to have one drum worth delivered it would cost even more.

lonesouth

picking up a 250 gallon heating oil tank wednesday.

My generator has been running about 7 hours and gauge shows 1/2 tank left. Not running much, not even registering on the % gauge, but I'm liking the burn rate. I know I'd be burning more if the AC were on.

csheath

picking up a 250 gallon heating oil tank wednesday.

My generator has been running about 7 hours and gauge shows 1/2 tank left. Not running much, not even registering on the % gauge, but I'm liking the burn rate. I know I'd be burning more if the AC were on.
Did you get the drum connected? Mine has been on 9 hours and the fuel gauge remains just under the full mark with aux connected.

Did you guys get much damage?
I haven't gone out to survey but we just had tropical storm force winds here so I think it's not too bad.

lonesouth

I got my pickup built, but didn't bother to connect it yet.

No damage here.

ETA: I just tested my aux connection and I don't think my aux pump is coming on. Not going to troubleshoot right now since it is running, but going to dig in and check it out later.

Last edited:

lonesouth

With the looming snowpocalypse, I thought I'd best go out and crank the MEP. *groan groan click click click* Batteries nearly dead. I have my solar charger hooked up, and it shows that it is charging. I checked the voltage from the panel, ~25v, and out of the controller, 24v. I had been leaving the disconnect switch on "Normal" and that may have allowed some leeching. I was able to connect a 12v jump start to one of the batteries and get it running, so that is good to know it is a possibility. I'm thinking about swapping the lead acid batteries for some deep cycle Deka Intimidators which I've had good luck with in my Bronco.

Is the switch in normal the likely culprit, are AGMs a good option for a MEP?

jamawieb

Leaving the dead crank switch to normal is fine. I've left units unattended for 4-5 months at a time with no chargers attached and they cranked fine. First, were the batteries new when you installed them? If they were, then either you have a slow drain from the generator or the charger. Most of the time I have found the alternators to be the problems, when the batteries drain within a 30 day period. The rectifier in the DC alternator will ground, which in turn will drain the batteries. So make sure your DC alternator is working correctly.

Yes, AGM batteries are good for the MEP's.

Guyfang

Staff member
Charge them up. Then use a battery load tester to check them. One marginal battery is all it takes to abort a start. You can also set your multi meter up to read DC amps, and disconnect the neg battery clamp. Hook the positive test lead to the neg battery terminal , the neg test lead to the neg cable. Then see if you have a draw, with the S1 in the off position. 99% of the time it's the alternator, as Jamawieb wrote. To make sure, if you have a draw, disconnect the power wire to the alternator. Then test again. If you still have a draw, then it gets tougher to locate. You are looking for a wire rubbed through, or some electrical component that is "hanging up", like a relay, or something else. It can take a while to find.

csheath

When is this snowpocalypse you speak of?

My walmart batteries died in the last cold snap. Actually I think they were on the way out in November. I had noticed it was still charging at near 15 amps after running a couple of hours. When I went to start it and found them dead they were 1 day from being a year old. I didn't bother to charge and check, I just took them back and exchanged given the time restraints.

My unit came with the 6130-01-487-0035 solar charger. It is sitting in the shade most of the tile but should get a little sun when it shines. I had to disconnect it to check for a draw because I would read the solar charger voltage with it connected.

lonesouth

it was pretty silly, but I did hear that there was an officer involved accident on the flyover, so maybe it was more severe than I think. Sarcasm was not directed at you, rather at the situation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks