• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My MEP-803a experience

lonesouth

Switch would reside inside the right access panel with one side wired to the main lugs of the MEP and the other side wired to a 30amp generator socket. I looked at the one you linked, but the MEP can run 66amps, so I'm going with a 100amp switch. Your switch would be fine if I were wiring it up independent of the MEP, but since it needs to handle the 4kw portable and the MEP, I need to size it for the larger source.

outside 30amp twist lock socket

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQT47S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Last edited:

smokem joe

I'm curious - are you doing a permanent wire to the switch from the portable, and where will you locate the switch, or are you using a plug wire. If cost is not a factor - would a plugin singe pole outdoor box like this one listed on Amazon also serve the purpose?

Reliance Controls Corporation CSR202 Easy/Tran Transfer Switch for Generators Up to 5,000 Watts

I'm considering adding one of these to the post holding the conduit in the generator enclosure I have behind my shed so that I can just plug the Briggs storm responder in there if I need to take the MEP offline. The switch that comes with the box will transfer between line in generator - in this case I will regard the MEP as line, and the plugin being the generator. I will have to replace the electronic gauges I have sitting by mu panel as the square wave from the Briggs will eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I have a similar setup. I hardwired 4ga out to my generator shed roof post. 803 and 831 both sit under there. Which one get plugged into the box is determined by my power needs. 803 is mostly needed to run AC. 831 will run my well if not much else is going.

csheath

Ye have little faith. The MEP will start and run when you need it.

On the other hand if mine fails I will come to your house for coffee. ;)

smokem joe

I don't doubt my 803 will start every time. I just don't need that much power during the winter. I heat with wood so running a well, a few LED lights, and fridge are all I need unless it's hot outside or a prolonged outage that would require running the dryer.

lonesouth

was at tractor supply yesterday and they had the Champion 3650/4500 generator on sale for $299. Went ahead and picked it up. I already received the twistlock outlet and the switch is in the mail. Need to get the wire and a few conduit fittings, and I'm good to go. Figure I'll wire in a 50amp outlet at the same time, so I'll have an easy connection for a load bank, still to be built.

lonesouth

Little update.

I got the switch, twistlock inlet, and a 50amp outlet(for load testing) installed. The switch is garbage. While rated for 4awg, the clamps are a screw type where the screw moves a metal cage to clamp the wire against the frame. As such, there is no direct connection from the screw to the wire. I'm sure there is some reason for this design, but they failed when they put slotted screws in the clamp instead of allen or torx screws. It was a HUGE PITA trying to get it all put together and not have the wires pull out of the switch. That said, the switch does work.

We lost power over the weekend due to a thunderstorm. We were out probably 45 minutes. It was long enough for me to want to turn on the generator, but I did not get enough break in the lightning to want to go outside. Instead, I took the opportunity to install my power back alarm on the main panel. No more guessing, or checking the neighbors. The alarm worked as it should and I could hear it clear across the house. If you don't have one of these, it is well worth the money.

My house is the nearly covered green dot in the center.

lightning.jpg

lonesouth

My batteries were dead, again. I don't think my solar panel is getting enough sun to be effective. I ordered a Battery Tender 24v I'll install inside the MEP.

Also, on the switch, I've been thinking about using a 50amp normally open contactor on the output of the MEP with the coil being energized by the MEP output. This would isolate the MEP from the auxiliary power input until I close the AC output. I would never have both generators running at the same time, so I think that would work out.

csheath

My solar setup has been working good. My Walmart value power batteries need replacing again but so far they are staying above 24 volts. It's nice having the solar control on top so I can monitor the battery condition.

lonesouth

I think it has to do with the placement of the panel. The MEP is on the north side of my house, with the panel facing east. It is never fully exposed to direct sunlight. I am going to play around with locations a bit, but planning to use the Tender as the primary maintainer.

lonesouth

Finally got around to setting up my 100 gallon fuel tank. Used a 2” pvc threaded to slip coupling, with a 2”-3/4” bushing, dremelled our the ridge in the bushing, and slid a length of 3/4” schedule 40 through, topped with a 90 degree threaded/slip and a -6an(I think) to hook up to my hose. The pipe is about 3/4” off of the bottom of the tank.

Then I set to transferring the fuel from my 55 gallon drum to the new tank. 24-12 volt buck converter with the positive taken off of a bolt in the center of the slave port and negative from the far battery. That powering a Carter p4070 rotary vane fuel pump. Pump is specified at 72gph for gasoline, moving diesel took about two hours.

This is not my sketchiest rigging ever, but it is close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

csheath

Finally got around to setting up my 100 gallon fuel tank. Used a 2” pvc threaded to slip coupling, with a 2”-3/4” bushing, dremelled our the ridge in the bushing, and slid a length of 3/4” schedule 40 through, topped with a 90 degree threaded/slip and a -6an(I think) to hook up to my hose. The pipe is about 3/4” off of the bottom of the tank.

Then I set to transferring the fuel from my 55 gallon drum to the new tank. 24-12 volt buck converter with the positive taken off of a bolt in the center of the slave port and negative from the far battery. That powering a Carter p4070 rotary vane fuel pump. Pump is specified at 72gph for gasoline, moving diesel took about two hours.

This is not my sketchiest rigging ever, but it is close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it_ain__t_easy_being_sleazy.jpg

smokem joe

Which solar panel were you using that didn't charge enough? I have a Pulsetech on my 831 and it keeps it topped off nice. The panel is in the sun for half the day though

smokem joe

Guess it wasn't enough sun to work. I used the battery tender 120v AC 24v Dc in my 803s. The only downside is remembering to unplug them before starting the units.

kavesman1

I also have the Pulsetech on my 803A...going on 3 years now with the Walmart batteries I got for it and they still fire it right off.

I have no shade from about 9am to 7:30pm, so my solar maintainer on it works extremely well.

lonesouth

Guess it wasn't enough sun to work. I used the battery tender 120v AC 24v Dc in my 803s. The only downside is remembering to unplug them before starting the units.
I've read quite a few posts on other forums that suggest it isn't a problem to leave it attached. The built in protection circuitry should do its job.

I may use a DPDT relay wired to S8 to disconnect it from the batteries on start/run, though.

Last edited:

lonesouth

going to look at repurposing the contactors in the transfer box from the original powerplant as a way to automatically isolate the MEP from the backup-backup generator.

Last edited:

smokem joe

I've read quite a few posts on other forums that suggest it isn't a problem to leave it attached. The built in protection circuitry should do its job.

I may use a DPDT relay wired to S8 to disconnect it from the batteries on start/run, though.
I leave it hooked up to the batteries but unhook the tender from 120v

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks