• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My MEP-803a experience

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOTS of discussion here about using Behr latex on MVs, I'm not worried. I shot two coats thinned 25% with windshield washer fluid(methanol). So far, two hours since the last coat, it looks great.

I did hit a snag, trying to start the second generator, the main switch stem broke :(. Is that something that can be replaced, just the stem, or do I need to get a whole new switch? If the whole switch needs to be replaced, is there a cheaper alternative to the original?
Howdy,
The trailer is looking good.

That was the inherent problem with that generation of switch. The stem is plastic and is prone to break.

MEP-8xx S1 and S6 switch variations

csheath

Nice looking paint job!

You guys got me looking to see which S1 switch I have on my 01/07 made MEP-803A. Mine has a metal shaft switch. Unfortunately it doesn't have a visible part number on it.

Guyfang

Staff member
I believe you would need to install a pump at the tank and push fuel that far. I'd be surprised if that small internal pump would draw from that far away. Pump control wires would need to be run between the generator and the pump at the tank.

I understand your concern. Around here though. People have 500 gallon tanks beside there house everywhere for home heating oil. Also Code only requires 10 feet between a propane tank and the residence. I like the idea of yours being away from the house. I'm on. Natural gas.

I keep my 803A behind my shed and have an extra fuel tank mounted on the trailer with it. It's only 80 feet from the house, so I ran wire the distance. Can't hear it in the house and it's more quiet for the neihbors. Only downside is rutting up the backyard, if I needed to move it when it's wet.
Then you will be surprised. Those pumps are very good. And as long as you don't have to draw fuel up 3-4 meters in height, its not a problem. The fuel aux hose, when attached to a fuel drum 25 feet away, and about 1 meter lower in height works like a charm.

Guyfang

Staff member
Nice looking paint job!

You guys got me looking to see which S1 switch I have on my 01/07 made MEP-803A. Mine has a metal shaft switch. Unfortunately it doesn't have a visible part number on it.
If its a metal shaft. Its the mark 3 type, and super good to go. No problemo. The link in message 201 shows the different switches.

lonesouth

the fuel tank would be uphill from the generator anyway, so no problems with the aux pump. that's for another day though. The immediate concern is sourcing a new S1 switch. I figure, worst case, I could do a panel and use toggles to control everything the single S1 does.

Also, for the trailer, Need to run back to harbor freight and pick up a set of trailer lights, instead of reusing the mil housings.

Guyfang

Staff member
A S1 should not be a problem to find. I believe that I have someplace, in some thread, even listed the producers of the S1. But there are some available. The price, well thats up to you to decide.

Guyfang

Staff member

lonesouth

Something I noticed last night, the trailer has a deliver date from 1990, but the power plant was delivered in 2000. I was surprised to see them repurpose existing stock like that.

Guyfang

Staff member
Something I noticed last night, the trailer has a deliver date from 1990, but the power plant was delivered in 2000. I was surprised to see them repurpose existing stock like that.
One of the few things that ALWAYS gets done right in the military, is reusing equipment. The PATRIOT launcher, (built in the 80's) uses an axle and undercarriage from NIKE-HERC system, (Built in the 50's-60's). That's just one example. There are plenty more. In another thread, I showed a link to youtube, with a D424A Turbine gen set. The oil for it is used in the B52 aircraft, and the M109 SP Gun. It works, so use it. Nowadays, we know that this oil is a carcinogenic substance. Am I glad we used that!

lonesouth

Rattle cans, brush-work, sprayer; how did you lay down the paint?
Prep was knocking off all the CARC flakes and rust scale with a Harbor Freight needle scaler and then washing down with simple green.

Paint was done with a Harbor Freight HVLP gun run at 60ish PSI, Behr Marquee thinned 25% with winshield washer fluid(methanol). 4 Hours between coats.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks