• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New CUCV

cfish

I will try to get some pics over the holidays. I hope I don't jinx myself by posting this, but!!!!! Long story, but I didn't get the vehicle I started out to. The guy backed out and decided not to sell. So I looked and found a better one. It was a bit more then I was looking at spending but it was worth it. It is still in its military paint. Everything, except the speedometer works. It was working perfectly until yesterday. Now it works intermittently and whines when it decides to stop working. Sounds like the the cable may be loose in it. The sound comes from behind the speedometer and no where else. It still has the antenna mounts and radio tray and 2 rifle racks in it. It came with brand new BFGoodrich All terrain tires 33.10.50. It doesn't leak a single drop.
The funny thing is I live in a neighborhood that has strict covenents and can't wait till someone trys to poo poo my having it parked in the driveway. Should be fun, as I have already gone thru them and can't find any rules to make me move it. Besides I have so many trees in my yard you can barely see it. The old folks out this morning walking their dogs were looking at me like I had two heads. Oh well, It won't be here long as I have a place to park it under a buddies barn.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The speedo can be cleaned. The gears at the speedo get dirty and start binding up. A can of contact cleaner and some q-tips work great.

Also the cable may need to be lubed.

The technical manuals have a section on taking the instrument cluster apart and cleaning it. But it doesn't cover the speedo itself.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be sure to checkout these threads:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/electrical/43351-cucv-instrument-cluster-repair.html
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/46054-cucv-instrument-cluster-decoded.html
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/52821-instrument-cluster-cleanup.html#post604140
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/55816-speedometer-problems.html

And from Barrman

Then there is the 25 year old truck that has been beat and abused factor. If the speedometer is jumping around, mostly faster than it should be and not making noise. Then you need to remove it, clean it and oil it. Especially the little flywheel looking thing on the back. 3 in 1 oil, air tool oil or anything light such as those will work. Use a drill to turn it and see if it is better. Mine starter out indicating 85 at 60 actually and jumping around. I hooked a drill up to it and the drill indicated 50 on low. Cleaned and oil, the speedo only indicated 35 on low drill speed. It was dead on back in the truck too. For about 1500 miles, now it is starting to bounce around again, but still settles down to accurate speeds after a few miles.

If the speedo is bouncing around and making noises. Then you need to look at your cable. Pull the cable out of the case, look for burrs or snags, lube it and put it back in. Problem should be gone.

Last edited:

steved454

I have poured oil in the cable before on an old truck where the speedo was making noise, but have been told to not do that, the last one I did I put Graphite powder in it and it worked too.

rnd-motorsports

You can stiil be off. Tires of dif . manufactures can be diferante in diamiter for the same size tires I have a set of firestone 265-70x16 and a set of general 265-75x16 and there is a dif of 3/4 of an inch both are all terranes so size means very little you can check on line for actual tire sizes and that will change speedo readings just info!

markg

You can stiil be off. Tires of dif . manufactures can be diferante in diamiter for the same size tires I have a set of firestone 265-70x16 and a set of general 265-75x16 and there is a dif of 3/4 of an inch both are all terranes so size means very little you can check on line for actual tire sizes and that will change speedo readings just info!
i agree but the factory 235-85-16 tires are very tall. i have 33-12.50-16.5 on my truck and the speedo is still 10% fast.

cfish

Thats funny cause according to my GPS, before the speedo went bonkers, my speedometer was dead nuts on with my GPS from 10 to 65mph. After the speedo went bonkers its now 5MPH off when its working. Just drove to the store twice in the last two hours and speedo was not acting up, just off by 5mph.

mf5129

a gm parts manual has the listing to find the correct gears.they are color coded.you need to supply the axle ratio and tire size.use a light to determine your exsisting parts.write down your color and teeth count.there may be an incorrect part installed.most replacements arent checked closely.the tire makers now use a metric system for sizing.there are differences.go through a mobile radar trailer.it will tell you your speed.or use the buddy system.

steved454

Great Rig! I got some of the mil 37 inch tires and some black 16 1/2 rims, will have to use the GPS and see what my new speeds will be.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks